Bombers @ Lions: Game Day Thread (07/21/17)

Noeller

It's to the point where big leads actually make me angry, because all I can think about is how many ways they will find to blow it. And they do!

I long to cheer for a team where I can actually enjoy when my team plays well because there is a reasonable expectation that it will continue for the whole game.

I turned the game off after the brand dead fake. Writing was on the wall.

This franchise is exhausting to cheer for.

1 minute ago, White Out said:

Gaw, I had a great little write up and then my son hit the back button. Oh well, I'll respond to this post instead.

Walters was hired in 2013... that's not exactly recent. We're in a 9 team league where there's significant roster turn over. The RedBlacks started from 0 in 2010 and won the Grey Cup last year.  We're very fortunate to be 2-2.  Our schedule isn't as soft as people would suggest considering we started against the SSK Toilet Bowls, had an injury decimated Stamps at home, and Toronto. This was really our toughest game so far and even then their #1 QB was out with injury.

No one is crying into their pillow but your post is a great example of where we really need to bridge a couple of factions on this forum. There's a large segment of us who are shell shocked from decades of sucking. I mean, just stop for a moment and consider I was able to use the word decade plural there. Appreciate that and then try and understand where we're coming from. Last night is another symptom of a team who seems to want to win on the cheap. We cheaped out on our coaching staff and it's yielding some pretty lukewarm on field results.

So let's just consider where we go from here. The Riders are better this year make no mistake. Edmonton is probably going to win the division, Calgary is still solid despite injuries, and we saw last night that BC is still better than we are. We have to start seeing some progress soon or this will be just enough middling year. I mean who knows maybe then we make the playoffs again and like Ottawa fluke ourselves into a cup win but without home field that will be hard. Then again look at our home field record and maybe its a good thing?

Sorry for such a disjointed response.

I assume you mean 2014?

BUT.. I really F'n hate when people use the Redblacks as a measuring stick of where you should be...

I'm sure if every other team got to draft players off opposing rosters they would likely be better sooner than later as it cuts out the need to scout quite a bit as your acquiring CFL experienced players immediately.

They might have sucked in year 1, had a good year 2,  but in year 3 they won the cup they weren't even a .500 team (8-9-1). If there's anything Ottawa should be an example of is, as long as you make the playoffs and get hot for 3 (or 2 in ottawa's case) games even mediocrity can be rewarded with a cup

Just now, Judd said:

Oh my god some people need to step away from the ledge. .500 record after losing buy a field goal to an elite team. Un****ingbeleivable

I think the problem is every year we are sold a bill of goods that maybe, for once, WE could be an elite team.

The problem is this team is usually less #FTW and more #WTF.

7 minutes ago, White Out said:

I'm sure Ottawa fans were only partially enthusiastic about their grey cup win since they were under 500. Lol.

Jeez.

Hindsight.

I bet if you rewind the clock to october 2016 many RB fans were complaining just as you have been all season long after every loss, which occurred more than they won.  and despite the gaps between the rough riders - renegades - redblacks  ottawa fans have dealt with futility for long periods as well (last winning the cup in 1976) and some **** owners like the gilbermans.  

IMO as much as it would be nice We don't need to be the best team in the league,  we need to be competitive, which other than the calgary game this year we have been.  Just make the playoffs and beat the riders every chance we get. It's not asking for much.

14 minutes ago, White Out said:

I'm sure Ottawa fans were only partially enthusiastic about their grey cup win since they were under 500. Lol.

Jeez.

Lol.  Ottawa finishes under .500 in a weak East, Bombers finish 11-7 in a tough West and that's what we have to strive for?!?!

Credit Ottawa for getting hot when it counts but they are hardly a juggernaut as this season is proving.

9 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Bizarre man...you're comparing Jennings and Lulay.  Lulay is turning the ball over at a much higher rate than Jennings who you called a turnover machine.  Just ******* bizarre.

At least he's not wasting away on the sidelines anymore. 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I'm laughing at all the fans who for some reason expected Winnipeg to be an elite team this year.  Yeah we finished 11-7 last year but it easily could have been 9-9.  This is a middle-of-the-pack team.  You don't turn into Edmonton or Calgary overnight.  It takes years.  Right now we're in the fight but if you expected us to be blowing out teams like BC then that's just a silly expectation on your part.  Go cry into your pillow if you want but don't expect to be taken seriously here.

Nah BS, your reply is the definition of an inferiority complex and the comforting acceptance of mediocrity, to say this team can not be equal to Edm. or Cgy. 4 years into the regime is ludicrous.  They demonstrated that they were a good team last year and played equal with those two teams, I expect them to be a better/smarter team this year and not repeat the same mistakes they made in the WSF by easing off the throttle and blowing a sizeable lead.  I defer to O'Shea and Walters to make the right personnel decisions to improve the team as they seem to be on the right track.  What they lack at this point is the conviction to win, smart in game coaching and a fire in the belly to get the job done.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Nah BS, your reply is the definition of an inferiority complex and the comforting acceptance of mediocrity, to say this team can not be equal to Edm. or Cgy. 4 years into the regime is ludicrous.  They demonstrated that they were a good team last year and played equal with those two teams, I expect them to be a better/smarter team this year and not repeat the same mistakes they made in the WSF by easing off the throttle and blowing a sizeable lead.  I defer to O'Shea and Walters to make the right personnel decisions to improve the team as they seem to be on the right track.  What they lack at this point is conviction to win, smart in game coaching and the fire in the belly to get the job done.

I agree.  I think we have the personnel to be competitive in the west.  Chicken **** coaching with the lead cost us this game.

Let's put this in perspective.

The Bombers noticed some alignment issues by BC when the Bombers were punting. Coach O'Shea, being the devilish Coach that he is, gave the green light to the kicker, that if he saw that, he was free to use his discretion in throwing the ball. 

Unfortunately, Medlock's discretion cost us big time. He had A green light, but it should have been amber in that situation. You just don't throw that ball, in your own zone, when you need 15 yards, that late in the game. 

It's not advisable, and I'm not afraid to say, it cost us the game. 

Medlock has also won many a game for us, so....we move on.

Can we beat that BC team? 

You're damned right we can.

43 minutes ago, Westy Sucks said:

Still shocked that Medlock came up short on that kick.  It was only 50.  He's never been short on a 50 has he? 

He is a great kicker, best in the league right now. Bottom line he chocked on that kick.

Coaching cost us the game. Field position wins game. On a third down gamble nursing a lead by a touchdown you don't gamble. You punt it deep then cover & make the Lions work for their score. Huge mistake. O'Shea must've been light headed after the success of that onside kick... LaPo. Just WTF is he doing??? He went into a shell completely as a playcaller in the 4th quarter. The receivers were making plays downfield in the 2nd & third quarters. We outscored the Lions 35-7 so naturally in the 4th he starts calling plays by having Nicholls throw little checkdown passes. We need 8 for a first down so Nichols throws for 6. We need 5 so let's throw for 3. From that point on, we lost any offensive momentum we had as it was a string of crucial two & outs. Then there's our secondary. Even with Roc Carmichael's interception he just can't cover. What did we see him do all game? Back turned to the receiver, arms flailing getting beat. Is he the best we can do?? Pretty much is a scar on our scouting if a guy like that can make the team.  I'll take a 35 year old Ryan Phillips in our defensive backfield. Even if he's over the hill, he can still make plays that Roc can't. However, my biggest beef with the loss is our coaching. It was terrible. We would have won that game if it wasn't for the dumb decisions on the bench last night. I think that's why fans are angry. The coaches lost that game. Just gave it away.

The throw by the kicker was a dumb play, but that entire series was pure dumbassery too. That stupid ******* play on first down where they faked to one guy and handed if off to another was stupid considering how much trouble the interior of the OL was having that game. Then going down field on 2nd down was pretty stupid too. That was the time for one of Lapos patented play the field position calls. Had a lead, were pretty far in our own zone, seems to me the smarter play was try and get some yardage back on 2nd down and punt from a better position and trust the D. Instead we lost yards on the series then turned it over on a gamble at the stupidest time of the game to gamble. 

This team is capable of playing well but they still make too make flat out dumb decisions in game and it holds them back. An offense that thinks it's OK to only play 2 quarters a game certainly doesn't help either. Nichols needs to be better than he has been this year cause that last INT was a dumb dumb play too. 

2 hours ago, Judd said:

Lots of overreaction here I think. A game on the road against an upper tier team coming down to the last minute of the game? There's worse ways to lose. 

.500 after 4 games is pretty much where everyone expected us to be. mtl, redblacks, ticats  up next. We very well should win 2 of those games. 

We need to see some adjustments, but this team looks better than it did after week 4 of 2016, remember. 

The reason this game is frustrating is because they had every opportunity to win the game and failed to take advantage of it largely because of doing stupid things. 

I maintain it was Medlock's decision to throw that pass at that time. No way that was a called play. The Special Teams was given the green light by what the Coaches saw BC was doing and, for whatever reason, Medlock thought that was the time. A poor decision on his part.

O'Shea better not say that he has no regrets & would do it again on that third down punt gamble. If he gets stubborn & starts defending last night's  decision like he did last year with that 61 yard FG attempt as opposed to going for it on third down in the WDSF then he'll just create more problems for himself. He can only defend those strange decisions for only so long before fans think he's crazy & the negative blow back will get intense.

5 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I maintain it was Medlock's decision to throw that pass at that time. No way that was a called play. The Special Teams was given the green light by what the Coaches saw BC was doing and, for whatever reason, Medlock thought that was the time. A poor decision on his part.

Whether it was his decision or the coaches it was idiotic and ultimately the coaches need to make sure the players are smarter about when they take risk. Medlock needs to look in the mirror after that game too cause not only was he short on a kick that he should have plenty of leg for, he was also putting some real poor punts up at the end of the game furthering the field position struggles they had with the offense going MIA for the 4th quarter.