Bombers @ Lions: Game Day Thread (07/21/17)

Noeller

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think the flashes he shows, the 2-3 drives a game where he's on fire, might do that regardless of record.

I think there are a lot of issues with playcalling.  Things work, then disappear.  Misdirection works amazingly, but is only good for the 2nd and 3rd quarters, no commitment to a run game even with an overpowering OL crew and some great backs, one who can't get on the roster.

Nichols doesn't have a quick enough release to run a very diverse passing game, but they sure as hell can help him out with a run game.

I don't disagree with you but the run calls have to be more diverse than what they appear to be willing to do. Running between the tackles is clearly not working for this team and Harris getting contacted at the line and willing his way to two yard gains on first down is not doing anyone any favors. 

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

The defense that allowed 45 points??! I'm not entirely sure what game you're watching. 

Im watching a D who had to be on the field lots... Our 0 legit goes in streaks... U can put the FGs on our D but . they are in that position cuz our O is either....on fire or going 2 and out. 

How many passes were thrown at Dressler? How many passes were thrown at Denmark....two money receivers and they get what 4 passes their way? Oh I know BC may have keyed on Dressler but he is shifty enough to get open on occasion rather than running that sweep. Our receivers all seem to be standing still waiting for the ball instead of running into it...not sure if it is them or the QB or the play but that has to change. And finally how many times did we throw the ball more than 15 yards? Frankly LaPolice said he learned so much last year and that was the same as it always has been. Hall's defense isn't good enough at least in the secondary and our head coach is a nut case!

Just now, AKAChip said:

I don't disagree with you but the run calls have to be more diverse than what they appear to be willing to do. Running between the tackles is clearly not working for this team and Harris getting contacted at the line and willing his way to two yard gains on first down is not doing anyone any favors. 

Comes down to using run formations IMO.  Most of our run plays start with our OL in 2 point stances and Harris getting the ball moving east-west, super slow developing.  We run a ton of empty backfield so opposing D knows there's no chance of a run (especially if Dressler isn't motioning across).  They don't really run between the tackles per se everything is a read play where the back is trying to wrap around the tackle and get loose, only cuts back if there's a gap.  Because the handoffs are out of shotgun with everyone flat footed the D are coming at Harris or any back downhill.  We need to reverse that equation and let our guys tee off.

16 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Why did you take your foot off our throat?  We were dead. The Medlock throw was risky, but I get it. 

Why the Lions didn't keep Harris upright with 1 second to go is as bad a O'Sheas gamble. Lucky Medlock missed.

Thoroughly entertaining.  Lapo needs to put the hammer down. 

Kudos to Lulay. 

It's safe to say that a "broken-down" Lulay is a better qb then Matt Nichols who is probably the 8th or 9th best qb in the league - basically average qb.  Our D was disappointing but Nichols and the offense hardly put up any first downs or yards in the 4th quarter.  Eerily similar to last year's playoff game.  It's early but so far our team has shown no progress whatsoever from last year.

Edited by blueandgoldguy

The right team won, and hats off to BC, Edmonton, Calgary, and Even Ottawa and Toronto. Those teams play to win, and if they are short the right personnel they bring people in until they are competitive. They don't stick with putting inferior players on the field and trying to run schemes to cover up their inadequacies.

In my opinion Bombers are short some players and that's why they run these goofy conservative schemes. They are trying to hide inadequacies.

In my opinion, the are short the following players to be competitive:

2 Big play receivers that can both stretch a defense and get some YAC yards (Only Dressler is consistent enough - the others are not go-to guys)

2 Linebackers (HURL is not cutting it, and Wild is not as good as he used to be)

2 DBs that can play man and not get burned

1 Kickoff / Punt returner - the Langford experiment is over for me

Unfortunately, it does not seem in the cards that the team will do anything about these shortcomings this year. Not sure if this is a team that will make the playoffs. Last year, I actually think the team was better and they look to be regressing this year. Very disappointing.

8 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

It's safe to say that a "broken-down" Lulay is a better qb then Matt Nichols who is probably the 8th or 9th best qb in the league - basically average qb.  Our D was disappointing but Nichols and the offense hardly put up any first downs or yards in the 4th quarter.  Eerily similar to last year's playoff game.  It's early but so far our team has shown no progress whatsoever from last year.

Playcalling was cowardly in the 4th quarter. That's on LaPo & not Nicholls.

Just now, sweep the leg said:

Replacing Carmichael & Porter with Leggett and Johnson will be a huge boost for our D.

I think we need a DB at safety too.  There's the threat of Loffler taking someone's head off sure, but he's slow, and not very impactful generally.  I think he'll be a hell of a WIL when he won't get caught in coverage as often and will be in closer proximity to the ball, covering less ground.  He's a good tackler.  I'd platoon Knox and Hurl, shift Loffler down to WIL and pick a DB to play safety.

-Carmichael still getting torched in week 5 but im sure good 'ol MOS will keep trotting him out and telling the media how great he was in camp

-Horrible decision but Nichols on that backbreaking 4th quarter INT. You cant read a defense at this point in your career?

-Lapo play calling the usual m.o. come out slower than molasses in the 1st, get a lead, then stop doing everything that was working and throw 4 yard passes the rest of the game.

-MOS again dumbass decisions. Your punting up 8 on your own 25 and you throw a ****ing pass?!?! Id like to get through a game and not wonder what is wrong with his brain.

-How can someone with a rocket leg be so s***ty at punting? I understand its different motion, hold, etc but my god, he must of had like a 30 yard average while the BC kicker was launching 60 yarders. And he was atleast 4 yards short on that 50 yarder. A real **** game from him all around.

Im so sick of losing due to garbage coaching and inept players

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He was healthy tonite. Jennings makes stupid decisions, forces the ball into tight windows for picks & fumbles at inopportune times. He is a turnover machine.

So is Lulay. 5 TD's 4 INTs, plus a INT on a 2 pt convert that was nearly returned back for 2 vs Hamilton, so basically 1:1 TD/INT ratio.  His ball wasn't great to start and sailed more and more as the games wore on. 

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

So is Lulay. 5 TD's 4 INTs, plus a INT on a 2 pt convert that was nearly returned back for 2 vs Hamilton, so basically 1:1 TD/INT ratio.  His ball wasn't great to start and sailed more and more as the games wore on. 

Yet they won.  What a brutal way to lose tonite.