Omar Khadr cashes in

All these posts people are putting out there blaming Justin Trudeau for this settlement need to know some facts:
-Omar was a child when this incident occurred. He was a a child when he was sent to Guantanamo Bay where he was tortured. If you think it is ok to torture people, even children, without consequence I see a huge issue with that. 
-he is also a Canadian citizen. His rights as a citizen were violated.  The Canadian government turned their back on him and knew he was being tortured. Not Justin Trudeau but prime ministers like Harper. 
-his confession was obtained though torture. He was finally given an ultimatum: confess and be transferred to a Canadian prison with more humane conditions or maintain innocence and spend the rest of his life in Guantanamo Bay possibly being tortured. He, himself has said he has no memory of the event. He may have thrown the grenade, he may not have. He just happened to be the only person who survived in that house. A house he was left at as a minor. He was blamed. There is no concrete evidence. If there was he would have spent the rest of his life in a Canadian prison after a fair trial. He didn't get a trial at all.  
-Justin Trudeau didn't offer him money. It's not a decision he makes, despite how badly conservatives want to blame him for this. His settlement was decided upon by the Supreme Court, which Trudeau does not control. It's called separation of powers. It's the same court that would rule a payment to you if the government had violated your charter rights. 
The fact is you are mad that a minor, a child, a Canadian citizen may be guilty of something or may not be and was tortured, again as a child, and the Supreme Court of Canada ruled this was wrong and mandated the government pay him. 
Finally, since he was released from prison he has been a model law abiding citizen. A university student.

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What's interesting, the head of War Child, which I guess is a lobby group that tries to stop children being used as soldiers, while being critical of Canada acknowledged that there is no doubt Khadr is guilty.

Did you read this on an alt right  blog or something  and were silly  enough  to think  it  was true? 

Only  took about  3 seconds to look up on war child's  website  Dr  Samantha  Nutt's opinion of the situation.

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You'll have to provide a definition of torture.  Because "sleep deprivation" is not likely to be considered torture by many Canadians looking at this case.

However, opinion aside, I was referencing the facts of the case where the US judge rejected the claims of torture.  He further rejected claims that Khadr was coerced into a confession.  And in one instance, Khadr claimed he was mis treated during a specific time but unfortunately for him, that incident was video taped and nothing he said took place.  He lied.

I guess we could give an admitted killer and bomb maker, proven liar and terrorist and a guy who even the child solider lobby agrees is absolutely guilty, the benefit of the doubt but why?

30 seconds of search on Google clearly proves you're wrong, sleep deprivation can kill and it has been proven that the US govt. used this form of torture as well as other methods such as water-boarding at Guantanamo.  What do you think they were doing there, rehabilitating terrorists?  The whole reason for locating this prison in Cuba was so that they could subvert their own laws.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dreaming-in-the-digital-age/201412/why-sleep-deprivation-is-torture

9 hours ago, Fraser said:

Did you read this on an alt right  blog or something  and were silly  enough  to think  it  was true? 

Only  took about  3 seconds to look up on war child's  website  Dr  Samantha  Nutt's opinion of the situation.

Actually read a quote of hers. Did I sit in the room and hear her say it? No. Did a read an actual quote? Yes. Grow up. 

12 hours ago, Mark H. said:

All these posts people are putting out there blaming Justin Trudeau for this settlement need to know some facts:
-Omar was a child when this incident occurred. He was a a child when he was sent to Guantanamo Bay where he was tortured. If you think it is ok to torture people, even children, without consequence I see a huge issue with that. 
-he is also a Canadian citizen. His rights as a citizen were violated.  The Canadian government turned their back on him and knew he was being tortured. Not Justin Trudeau but prime ministers like Harper. 
-his confession was obtained though torture. He was finally given an ultimatum: confess and be transferred to a Canadian prison with more humane conditions or maintain innocence and spend the rest of his life in Guantanamo Bay possibly being tortured. He, himself has said he has no memory of the event. He may have thrown the grenade, he may not have. He just happened to be the only person who survived in that house. A house he was left at as a minor. He was blamed. There is no concrete evidence. If there was he would have spent the rest of his life in a Canadian prison after a fair trial. He didn't get a trial at all.  
-Justin Trudeau didn't offer him money. It's not a decision he makes, despite how badly conservatives want to blame him for this. His settlement was decided upon by the Supreme Court, which Trudeau does not control. It's called separation of powers. It's the same court that would rule a payment to you if the government had violated your charter rights. 
The fact is you are mad that a minor, a child, a Canadian citizen may be guilty of something or may not be and was tortured, again as a child, and the Supreme Court of Canada ruled this was wrong and mandated the government pay him. 
Finally, since he was released from prison he has been a model law abiding citizen. A university student.

Most of this is wrong. 

Government provided the settlement not the court. 

US judge rejected claims do torture. Khadr was proven to have lied about his treatment. 

Dont cherry pick which parts of the law you want to believe. 

Many cases of someone being found to have committed a murder years earlier who led a great life. Doesn't excuse the act. 

The sick truth is many people simply believe America deserves it. So they are twisting themselves up to excuse the acts of a murderer. 

In Canada you can be tried as an adult. Why is this case different? Because he spent time in Cuba?  Being deprived of sleep?  Poor him. 

20 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Actually read a quote of hers. Did I sit in the room and hear her say it? No. Did a read an actual quote? Yes. Grow up. 

Hey why don't  you  post the quote.

Pretty obvious from  the war child website  that isn't her opinion.

http://newsroom.warchild.ca/releases/omar-kadhr-why-canada-should-take-back-its-troubled-child/

9 minutes ago, Fraser said:

Post something  that  says this.

You think Guantanamo  bay was a summer camp?

For a guy dropping in to insult and be snarky and make demands you sure arent providing many links yourself.

Perhaps spend more than 3 seconds looking things up.  I dont have to do your homework for you.

But here's a question, is your position that the soldier deserved it or that Khadr never did anything wrong?  because for all those in here defending this payout, there is a real lack of condemnation for the actions of the terrorist.

36 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Most of this is wrong. 

Government provided the settlement not the court. 

US judge rejected claims do torture. Khadr was proven to have lied about his treatment. 

Dont cherry pick which parts of the law you want to believe. 

Many cases of someone being found to have committed a murder years earlier who led a great life. Doesn't excuse the act. 

The sick truth is many people simply believe America deserves it. So they are twisting themselves up to excuse the acts of a murderer. 

In Canada you can be tried as an adult. Why is this case different? Because he spent time in Cuba?  Being deprived of sleep?  Poor him. 

It was a Supreme Court ruling. No matter how many times you say it's not or how many shades of grey you try to introduce - it's still going to be a Supreme Court ruling. 

25 minutes ago, Fraser said:

Hey why don't  you  post the quote.

Pretty obvious from  the war child website  that isn't her opinion.

http://newsroom.warchild.ca/releases/omar-kadhr-why-canada-should-take-back-its-troubled-child/

Took me slightly longer than 3 seconds but Ill assume you're man enough to apologize.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1998973/is-omar-khadr-a-child-soldier-explaining-the-murky-debate/

Nutt said there’s no denying that Khadr committed the crimes,

EDIT: and thats an article that is critical of Canada for abandoning him so you can apologize on that front too.  Ill wait while you do it...

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Just now, Mark H. said:

It was a Supreme Court ruling. No matter how many times you say it's not or how many shades of grey you try to introduce - it's still going to be a Supreme Court ruling. 

Its not up to me to introduce shades of grey.  In fact, the opposite is true.  and no matter how much you or anyone else decides to focus on just me and shout me down to try and turn your opinion into fact, it simply doesnt change anything.

He committed crimes that would net him adult prison time in Canada.

The judge presiding over his case dismissed the claims of torture.

Khadr was caught lying about his mistreatment

He admitted to his crimes.

Canada's obligation (the one the court say they shirked) was to repatriate him back to Canada.  They did so eventually.  No one has argued that being housed in Cuba was a great idea or that the US treated their war prisoners wonderfully.  No one has said that at all.

But you people trying to bend over backwards to defend this payout cant bring yourselves to condemn the actions of Khadr.  Why is that?

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

They did not rule that he must be paid 10 million dollars.

Yup and no matter how often the Omar apologists repeat it, they cannot make it true.

The court also did not tell the government to make the deal in secret and help the terrorist avoid even the slimmest risk of losing the cash to the widow of the real victim in all this.  What say the Omar apologists about that?

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Took me slightly longer than 3 seconds but Ill assume you're man enough to apologize.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1998973/is-omar-khadr-a-child-soldier-explaining-the-murky-debate/

Nutt said there’s no denying that Khadr committed the crimes,

You said that she says he was GUILTY ie like it was interesting  that she agreed with the findings of the US sham  court that convicted  him at Guantanamo  bay. Why would it be interesting  that somone that works at war child admits that children are used in war. Lol

1 minute ago, Fraser said:

You said that she says he was GUILTY ie like it was interesting  that she agreed with the findings of the US sham  court that convicted  him at Guantanamo  bay. Why would it be interesting  that somone that works at war child admits that children are used in war. Lol

Ummmm so you're not man enough to apologize?  You're the one who took exception to her quote, why act like it's not interesting now?

She said there was no doubt he committed the crimes.  Or does committing crimes not imply guilt?  Are you making that distinction? lol

The relevance was that some people here were arguing there was no evidence he even did it.  My point was that one of the people so strongly critical of Canada even admitted that his actions weren't in question. 

So...you can come here and insult be snarky but you can't admit you were wrong?  Okay.

4 minutes ago, Fraser said:

Oh and I get it, the court you disagree with is a sham. The one you agree with is not.  I see.  Makes sense.

Do you support the actions of Omar Khadr?

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ummmm so you're not man enough to apologize?  You're the one who took exception to her quote, why act like it's not interesting now?

She said there was no doubt he committed the crimes.  Or does committing crimes not imply guilt?  Are you making that distinction? lol

The relevance was that some people here were arguing there was no evidence he even did it.  My point was that one of the people so strongly critical of Canada even admitted that his actions weren't in question. 

So...you can come here and insult be snarky but you can't admit you were wrong?  Okay.

I didn't  say he didnt do  anything.  I'm  saying that the director of war child,  admiting  that children  commit  criminal acts,  as war children,   when being used as tools of war is not an intersting fact.  Because the freaking organization doesn't  exist if that isn't happening. 

I find it interesting you are so quick to point out her opinion  on that  and summarily  disregard what she thinks  a war child  is or how they should  be treated.

Edited by Fraser

Just now, Fraser said:

I didn't  say he didnt do  anything.  I'm  saying that the director of war child,  admiting  that children  commit  criminal acts,  as war children,   when being used as tools of war is not an intersting fact.  Because the freaking organization doesn't  exist if that isn't happening. 

So why did you so strongly deny that she ever said it?  You seemed to care quite a bit when you thought she agreed with you.  Now when you realize you're wrong, it doesn't matter?

Just now, Fraser said:

Okay so you're doubling down on not apologizing for your insulting and snarky post directed at me.  Okay, just making sure.

I made a post that was wholly accurate.  You insulted me, implied I was lying and even if I had a quote it must be a "right" article and Im silly to believe it.  I post the link to an article that was actually critical of Canada which included the statement proving I was accurate and you refuse to simply admit you were wrong and apologize for it.

I like honest disagreements and discussion but you have no credibility here now.  Thank you.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

So why did you so strongly deny that she ever said it?  You seemed to care quite a bit when you thought she agreed with you.  Now when you realize you're wrong, it doesn't matter?

hahaha this is so true!  What she thinks MATTERS..oh wait, what, she said that, so, it doesnt matter...lol

And he then hedges on what Khadr did.  "I didnt say he didnt do anything".  What a condemnation.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Okay so you're doubling down on not apologizing for your insulting and snarky post directed at me.  Okay, just making sure.

I made a post that was wholly accurate.  You insulted me, implied I was lying and even if I had a quote it must be a "right" article and Im silly to believe it.  I post the link to an article that was actually critical of Canada which included the statement proving I was accurate and you refuse to simply admit you were wrong and apologize for it.

I like honest disagreements and discussion but you have no credibility here now.  Thank you.

It wasn't  wholy accurate.  Show me where  it shows her saying he's  guilty. 

1 minute ago, Fraser said:

It wasn't  wholy accurate.  Show me where  it shows her saying he's  guilty. 

tripling down. hahahahahaha

When you cant simply offer a meaningful apology for being wrong, it completely exposes you.  Very sad.

Do you condemn Khadr's actions or just try to play semantics with people that do?

Edited by The Unknown Poster