Supplemental Draft - Austin Reuland

There was one supplemental draft, then another and one more, but we’re not done yet. A fourth installment will be held on Thursday.

Yale product Austin Reuland, whose dad was born in Canada, will be available. For the first three years as a Bulldog, Reuland played receiver and switched to running back in 2015 after fellow Canadian and roommate Tyler Varga graduated and made the Indianapolis Colts roster. Reuland has older brothers, Konrad and Warren, who played NCAA football at Notre Dame and Stanford with Konrad moving on to the NFL where he lasted five seasons.

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/05/cfl-holding-another-supplemental-draft-thursday/

Edited by M.O.A.B.

I actually don't mind the later supplemental draft. It gives your current draftees a chance to show their worth before you hit the panic button and start firing off future picks. 

However is it just me or do all supplemental draft picks seem to be receivers and LBs?

off the top of my head names that come to mind are, Poblah(WR), Waggoner(LB), Bartlett (LB) Francis (WR/LB) Wolitarsky (WR)  I'm sure I'm missing a few but seems like a trend.  I'm sure if there was an OL up for grabs, you would think someone like Wally would be all over it given how their 2nd round pick Zver ended up

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

17 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I'd imagine there has to be some who weren't just WR and LB (Couldn't find a list tho). How long have they been doing the supplemental draft for?

Idk when it started but the oldest one i recall is joe morgan a saftey we got via the supplemental draft from south florida in i wanna say 2003

kind of wonder why Simonise is forced to wait for next year's draft because of a four game NFL suspension and these guys randomly declare eligibility...  why not just make Simonise eligible after four games of the CFL season or something...

More CFL randomness

4 minutes ago, braddman19 said:

I do not understand the multiple supplemental drafts.  Why the heck weren't they all lumped into one?

Establish a deadline, if you miss it, congrats you are eligible for next year's draft.

I'd imagine part of the leniency is due to the work involved to find these kids. Not saying there shouldn't be some kind of deadline, but iirc there was only 1 player in the actual supplemental draft (Deadline for that was may 29th, 11am, and the player was Rick Orio who no one selected). Since then there appears to be 3 more, and very well could have been 4 if it weren't for a scout stumbling across Judge at UCLA while there to scout Ankou.  Hell even Duane Ford had to unearth one (Waggoner), So maybe it's a little more time consuming then being handed a prospect list from the cfl bureau and just popping in some film.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

kind of wonder why Simonise is forced to wait for next year's draft because of a four game NFL suspension and these guys randomly declare eligibility...  why not just make Simonise eligible after four games of the CFL season or something...

More CFL randomness

Drugs are bad. 

8 hours ago, braddman19 said:

I do not understand the multiple supplemental drafts.  Why the heck weren't they all lumped into one?

Establish a deadline, if you miss it, congrats you are eligible for next year's draft.

From what I understand there is a deadline - 60 days after the draft.

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

More CFL randomness

A couple years ago the CFL established a rule that if you failed a drug test pre-draft then you forfeit your eligibility until the next season.  Has nothing to do with the number of games in the NFL or anything else.

9 hours ago, braddman19 said:

Like Jacquie said, there is a deadline.  And the reason they aren't lumped into one is because then you could potentially have one player waiting a month+ for no reason when they are ready to play now (because you would have to wait until the deadline to do the draft regardless of whether other players are available).

Anyways I wouldn't use anything higher than a 5th round pick on this guy.  Good athlete but likely destined to be a career special teamer.

Reuland has older brothers, Konrad and Warren, who played NCAA football at Notre Dame and Stanford with Konrad moving on to the NFL where he lasted five seasons.

"Lasted five seasons".... Fails to mention that Konrad died of a brain aneurysm last year...