I like Matt Nichols

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Typical Blue Kool Aid chuggers. Only want to look at the good side of the equation. We won ugly. I'll take the 2 points, but 20 great minutes doesn't make the whole game good and we barely won.  Nichols got 87 of his 331 yards on a single big play.

We beat Regina, the worst team in the league, not one of the good teams. They put up almost 400 yards against us without 2 or 3 of their starting receivers. They won TOP.  They came back from 14 down with 12 minutes left in the game. They didn't even have 7 full time NI starters cuz they lost Muamba during the week and they have weak NI's to begin with. They fumbled a KO inside their 10. Maybe one of the stats guys can look back and see how often a team wins when they do that or how often teams win when they turn the ball over 2 more times than the opposition. . Glenn threw deep into double coverage twice. He only got away with it once. He stared down his receiver for an Int with 55 seconds in the half.

We got 10 yards and 0 first downs in the first quarter.

We didn't outplay them in the 2nd. We didn't get our first drive until less than 3 minutes on the clock and we scored our first TD when 1:04 was remaining in the 2nd.

We had a great 20 minutes where we owned them, late in the 2nd through the 3 minute mark in the 4th.

We didn't outplay them in the 4th they scored 14 straight points to tie the game up during which time, they kept us off the board.

We didn't outplay them in OT. It came down to them missing a short FG, while we made ours.

4bUV7Ls.gif

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Tburg = spend as much time possible complaining about anything and everything, waiting ten minutes and then get confused as to why people think he's a negative nancy.

Starting to think it's like wrestling with a pig in mud... at some point you have to realize that the pig is enjoying it...

I luv Matt Nichols and I ain't his fairy godmother....When it comes to crunch time, he has the answer...We have been a little slow to get things going but I don't think it's been all on Matt...He's a solid contender and has the ability to get us there...Let's turn things around...I wouldn't want to be the opposition playing against Matt...You know he's going to gradually win the thing...he just takes awhile...Not a Bo Levi rabbit but much like the other guy in the race...the eventual winner

Matt Nichols is no Matt Dunigan, nor is he a Tom Clements, or a Deiter Brock. But, after those legends he MIGHT be the best QB we have had around these parts in a long time. I guess time will tell.

I tell you guys what though...there are not too many QB's in this league who I would take ahead of him right now. 

On 2017-07-02 at 6:19 PM, TBURGESS said:

Typical Blue Kool Aid chuggers. Only want to look at the good side of the equation. We won ugly. I'll take the 2 points, but 20 great minutes doesn't make the whole game good and we barely won.  Nichols got 87 of his 331 yards on a single big play.

We beat Regina, the worst team in the league, not one of the good teams. They put up almost 400 yards against us without 2 or 3 of their starting receivers. They won TOP.  They came back from 14 down with 12 minutes left in the game. They didn't even have 7 full time NI starters cuz they lost Muamba during the week and they have weak NI's to begin with. They fumbled a KO inside their 10. Maybe one of the stats guys can look back and see how often a team wins when they do that or how often teams win when they turn the ball over 2 more times than the opposition. . Glenn threw deep into double coverage twice. He only got away with it once. He stared down his receiver for an Int with 55 seconds in the half.

We got 10 yards and 0 first downs in the first quarter.

We didn't outplay them in the 2nd. We didn't get our first drive until less than 3 minutes on the clock and we scored our first TD when 1:04 was remaining in the 2nd.

We had a great 20 minutes where we owned them, late in the 2nd through the 3 minute mark in the 4th.

We didn't outplay them in the 4th they scored 14 straight points to tie the game up during which time, they kept us off the board.

We didn't outplay them in OT. It came down to them missing a short FG, while we made ours.

K wait, wasn't this discussion about Nichols?  Why would it matter (in this post) how the rest of the game went, the defense played, etc etc?  Nichols was an elite level QB last game. period.  He played exceptionally well in a very hostile environment.  He won the turnover battle and eventually the game.  Give credit where credit is due.  Your wrong about Nichols, its ok to admit that.  

Edited by SPuDS
cuz cellphone bloweth and sucketh

8 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Matt Nichols is no Matt Dunigan, nor is he a Tom Clements, or a Deiter Brock. But, after those legends he MIGHT be the best QB we have had around these parts in a long time. I guess time will tell.

I tell you guys what though...there are not too many QB's in this league who I would take ahead of him right now. 

You forgot somebody on that list. Mr. Jones needs to be added before an angry mob forms.

At this point, I'd still have KG ahead of him too. 

23 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Agreed Nichols managed the game well last night. Does anyone know the status of  Jermarcus Hardrick? After he went out due to injury, our O-line didn't seem to play the same - gave up a few sacks etc.

I thought he came back a couple of series later. What about the DL whose name I can't spell (sorry). Tackled Glenn on a short run up the middle & looked like he fell on his shoulder. Have the Bombers announced anything?

As far as Nichols goes, count me in as being glad we have him. He gives us the chance to win every game. Can't blame the slow start offensively on just Nichols. There are 11 other guys playing with him as well that each have to do their jobs for every play to be a success.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

You forgot somebody on that list. Mr. Jones needs to be added before an angry mob forms.

At this point, I'd still have KG ahead of him too. 

Ahead of Nichols? No way. Glenn always throws the pass he never should in pressure situations with resulting bad things happening. He's a career backup who is either unlucky or lucky (depending on whether he's your qb at the time) that injuries to starters ahead gave him a chance to play. He's really been able to cash in on a 17 year career based on performances varying from mediocre to average over the years. Everyone knows that Glenn will eventually screw up as it's only just a matter of time. Matt doesn't play a physical game like Reilly does nor is he as fiery as Mitchell. He's more animated than Ray but he doesn't make stupid mistakes like Jennings. At the same time he can't dominate a game like Trevor Harris can when he gets on a roll. But I'll gladly take Matt Nichols as our qb. He's the perfect guy for LaPo's offense. Thanks to Chris Jones for trading  him to us for a freaking 7th rounder & a bag of footballs 2 years ago. That may have been the biggest steal the CFL has seen in a trade since the Ricky Ray trade to Toronto. It's the gift from Jones that just keeps on giving.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

22 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

That's pretty much an example of outplaying them.  

Except its not.  The kicker hit the uprights, that really doesn't have anything to do with outplaying them.

Sask kicked our butts in the first half, bombers hung in and turned it on in the second.  Exciting win but I still want to see what this team does against Calgary.  I think they will raise the bar tbh... they seem to play to the level of their competition.

Some concern that this was another slow start... but on the other hand, the half time adjustments really worked.

45 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I thought he came back a couple of series later. What about the DL whose name I can't spell (sorry). Tackled Glenn on a short run up the middle & looked like he fell on his shoulder. Have the Bombers announced anything?

As far as Nichols goes, count me in as being glad we have him. He gives us the chance to win every game. Can't blame the slow start offensively on just Nichols. There are 11 other guys playing with him as well that each have to do their jobs for every play to be a success.

Okpalaugo is the DE who got hurt but he returned to the game so I'm sure he is okay.

34 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Except its not.  The kicker hit the uprights, that really doesn't have anything to do with outplaying them.

Sask kicked our butts in the first half, bombers hung in and turned it on in the second.  Exciting win but I still want to see what this team does against Calgary.  I think they will raise the bar tbh... they seem to play to the level of their competition.

Some concern that this was another slow start... but on the other hand, the half time adjustments really worked.

First real football in 6 months.  Why would this cause you concern considering it would be as close to a given as you can get?

42 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Except our kicker outplayed theirs.  It is a team sport.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah Hardrick (thankfully) did come back in a few series later. I think the defensive lineman you're thinking of is Tristan Okpalaugo... I think him/Westerman had 2 or 3 roughing the passer calls against them. Hopefully that was just them shaking of the rust and becoming accustomed to the new rules regarding hitting quarterbacks. We can do stuff like that against SSK, but it'll be a long night against CGY if extend any stalled drives with Mitchell at the helm.

Regarding the slow start, as much as I hate to give any credit to Rider nation, that crowd definitely pumped up the D in the 1st (and 4th). Hopefully our crowd can do the same for the Bombers on Friday against the Stamps.

Other things I liked about Nichols:

- 1 turnover that wasn't really his fault, the ball hit JFG pretty much in the mask, but it was certainly catch-able.
- Minimal time count / procedure penalties, given the conditions.
- Was able to sling it when the opportunity presented itself.
- Kept his cool in OT.