3 stars + HH first game

wbbfan

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If we play the same way next week, Calgary is going to straight up rape us on O and D. Was super ugly against a BAD Riders depth chart. I'll take the win, but man we made a shitty team look way better than they are. 

Some tough circumstances though and found a way.  Not too worried about Calgary's D.

Just now, Goalie said:

Lead directly to the riders tying the game. 

Can anyone actually explain how catching the ball with both hands can ever be considered not having control of the ball?  He caught it, and went to tuck it and had it slip loose... pathetic call by the C'mon Centre.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If we play the same way next week, Calgary is going to straight up rape us on O and D. Was super ugly against a BAD Riders depth chart. I'll take the win, but man we made a shitty team look way better than they are. 

My thoughts exactly. That was ugly, ugly, ugly. If it wasn't for the Riders breakdowns in the secondary in the middle stages of the game and the turnovers, it wouldn't have been a pretty outcome tonight. Winning ugly is still a win of course but it's hard to feel positive with a showing like that against a joke of a team like the Riders.

That said, on the plus side Sam Hurl really stood out with a nice game. He's been a whipping boy for some around here, undeservedly so. 

4 minutes ago, Sard said:

Can anyone actually explain how catching the ball with both hands can ever be considered not having control of the ball?  He caught it, and went to tuck it and had it slip loose... pathetic call by the C'mon Centre.

Grant dropped the frickin' ball when he was getting up to run with it....but oh no that's not what we all saw.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

My thoughts exactly. That was ugly, ugly, ugly. If it wasn't for the Riders breakdowns in the secondary in the middle stages of the game and the turnovers, it wouldn't have been a pretty outcome tonight. Winning ugly is still a win of course but it's hard to feel positive with a showing like that against a joke of a team like the Riders.

That said, on the plus side Sam Hurl really stood out with a nice game. He's been a whipping boy for some around here, undeservedly so. 

First game. Two week layoff. A lot of the vets didn't play much in the pre season so as Dressler said in his post game interview with Bob Irving, there was some rust that had to be worked out.

Wasn't the prettiest game, but glad we picked up the W. I picked up some cheap ($200 round trip) flights into Winnipeg for the Argo's game on the 13th, and I'll be headed to Vancouver for the following week for the game there. Will be rocking my Denmark jersey, bombers are 3-0 in games I've worn it to. Prior to that they were 0-x in my lifetime going to games (that's what I get for going to games primarily in Alberta)

1. Justin Medlock- low key our most valuable player last season. 5/5 field goals tonight, 4/4 on the extra point. The guy is worth every penny were paying him. 

2. Weston Dressler- 6 catches for 124 yards and 2 TD's. Too small to be a reciever in Jones's offense though;)

3. Matt Nichols- 331 yards and 4 TD's. Can't ask for much more productive from the QB position, although the scary thing is he definitely could have had 5 or 6. Missed a few throws tonight. 

HM: Hurl, Randle, Adams, Alexander, Carmichael 

33 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Grant dropped the frickin' ball when he was getting up to run with it....but oh no that's not what we all saw.

He actually catches it, tucks it and as he's getting up to run he punches the ball out with his other hand...  if that isn't a catch and then loss of possession then I haven't been watching football long enough (I started remembering games in 84).  The c'mon centre really fumbled that call ?

2 hours ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

He actually catches it, tucks it and as he's getting up to run he punches the ball out with his other hand...  if that isn't a catch and then loss of possession then I haven't been watching football long enough (I started remembering games in 84).  The c'mon centre really fumbled that call ?

And the crazy thing is the C'mon Centre saw enough in their eyes to overturn the call. I thought they weren't going to overturn close calls so I guess this wasn't a close call. I'm ok with the call if they use the same standard of catch / no catch all season but I have my doubts that they will. 

2 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

And the crazy thing is the C'mon Centre saw enough in their eyes to overturn the call. I thought they weren't going to overturn close calls so I guess this wasn't a close call. I'm ok with the call if they use the same standard of catch / no catch all season but I have my doubts that they will. 

agree completely with you.

they made a big deal about this. Not overturning close ones. Too bad if we dont like it. which was obnoxious.

Then they go ahead and overturn a close call (actuallly wasn't really close) .

Confirming what everyone thinks about the c'mon centre.

:blink:

Edited by Mark F

8 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hurl snuffed out a ton of screens by being on the right side of the ball and taking on blocks, only a couple tackles on them but huge plays that Bass really struggled with last season just chasing the ball and not playing the position on defense to be sure the guy gets on the turf by anyone wearing blue and gold.

Not a fan of Hurl but he played well last night and I especially liked his conversation with Glenn at the coin toss for the second OT. :)

Painful to watch the first 1 3/4 quarters. 

Randle played his usual blanket self.

I thought Knox was a beast on special teams.

Dressler was the man of the hour by far. Oh how sweet for that to happen in the Prider stadium with all those Dressler jerseys.

Nice to see Washington get a off balance run backward TD. 

I really liked your point JBR on our DE's cheating inside that let Glenn escape pressure from the interior.

Suitor said something interesting last night that I've been advocating for a while now. He said coaches have 30 seconds to call a challenge or it moves to the next play. That's the first I've heard of that rule and if it is an actual rule it sure doesn't see to be enforced.

8 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

I'd probably be one of those though not as extreme as you're putting it. I think he's deserved some that criticism due to his overall play at LB but he did play well last night.  Here's hoping he's turned the corner. 

6 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'd probably be one of those though not as extreme as you're putting it. I think he's deserved some that criticism due to his overall play at LB but he did play well last night.  Here's hoping he's turned the corner. 

Whipping boy for some. What people tend to forget is the last time he was in a starting role, our defensive coordinator was Gary Etcheverry. With his...."scheme" or whatever you want to call that joke of a defence we ran that season, it didn't really paint an accurate picture of what Hurl is capable of.