2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

19 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Enstrom is almost always paired with Myers - they are a good pairing...  Enstrom and Buff are not.  On paper, they are but not in real life...

But I'm also not in the mood to argue with 1000x reposts of the same point...

Yeah I don't know what ya do.  Morrissey-Buff, Enstrom-Myers, "Kulikov"-Trouba?  How do you manage icetime?

But I'd agree that I don't want to see Toby-Buff anymore.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

It’s believed at least two Canadian teams — Ottawa and Winnipeg — are looking at Dmitry Kulikov as a left-handed option. He played for Guy Boucher in junior, and there’s no way last year is a true indication of his play.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-trade-value-first-round-pick/sn-amp/

Was also -26 in 2013/14. You're only as good as your last year right? Pass.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

And what's to become of Mark Stuart?  Gotta do something about that albatross.

Future Moose player/coach.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

28 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Seems so bizarre to say this but... the Oilers are in trouble for if they sign McDavid to that contract.

He's worth so much more but it's going to cripple them. Ah, the salary cap!

The hope is that they can attract players for less just for the chance to play with McDavid.

Well Ovechkin got $9.5 9 years ago.  So I think its sort of comparable.  But the risk is that it raises the bar for non-generational talents.

McDavid is unreal.  But wouldn't it be nice if he took less so the Oilers had money to pay other guys.  Crosby took less.  Ofcourse, Crosby makes far money off the ice so what does he care.  McDavid will too.

If Laine scores 50, I dont know, what's he going to command in 2 years?  $8 or $9 million?

Makes Scheif look like a selfless team player with the contract he signed, doesnt it.  Also raises the top end bar for top players when the Jets have a conversation with Trouba this summer.  He's obviously not in that league but his agent will say he's the Jets top player so he should get TOP money,.

I could see laine being super chill about it and going 8x8 and saying something to the effect of "meh I have enough money". He seems like that type of guy.

At least I hope so. I was also adamant McDavid would go 9.7x8 sooo

Edited by Judd

2 minutes ago, Judd said:

I could see laine being super chill about it and going 8x8 and saying something to the effect of "meh I have enough money". He seems like that type of guy.

At least I hope so. I was also adamant McDavid would go 9.7x8 sooo

As an RFA there is less leverage on Laine's part.  McDavid is an RFA too but as THE player he has all the leverage.  If he said, look Ill hold out if you dont pay me, it kills the Oilers.  Laine does seem like an even keel guy.  And plus, I dont think he'd look at Winnipeg and say he'd rather play in New York or Los Angeles or Montreal.

One of the other benefits to Scheif's deal (and whatever they get Trouba to) is creating a "Jets standard".  You take you leaders, especially if there is a sense they signed for less and it pressures other guys who want to stay to fit within that standard.  If Laine keep getting better he will get more than Schief, but Scheif's deal with be sort of a claw keeping it from getting out of hand.

23 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

He had the worse +/- by 9 in Buf. That's a Drew Stafford stat.

And doesn't mean much when you consider what a disaster the Sabres were last season across the board.

+/- is not a sound metric by which to measure a player, much less using it alone to say you'd rather pass on a LHD, something the Jets need.