2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

Gennaro gets an oh well from Me. 7th Rd pick with mediocre stats until a hot streak last season... oh well. 

90 percent of jets fans have probably never seen him play and those who have don't think he's anything special. 

Oh well. Hopefully for his sake he's drafted again but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't. 

If you believe the sources (garret hohl) jets had no interest in signing him or karlstrom

Edited by Goalie

Teams do have a maximum number of contracts they can have and a maximum number of players in the system.

You can't always sign a player just to see what happens.  If you don't think a player is going to contribute, you can't just waste a contract on him.

Either that, or he didn't like what he saw ahead of him in the Jets organisation and decided to take his chances elsewhere.

Jets already have 32 contracts. That leaves them 18. They're going to re-sign, what, 6 or 7 RFAs/UFAs? Assuming they add a couple of more during the offseason, they probably have a bit of wiggle room.

That being said, I'm not sure he's worth a contract and the opportunity cost.

For me, I just think.... can you really hope for anything better from a 7th round prospect?  If a guy can have a year like Gennaro and not earn a contract... what's the point of making a 7th round pick at all?  Just trade it away for whatever you can get.

Perhaps it was a strategic move on the part of the player.  Had a really good season, go back in the draft and get chosen higher, can make the jump at least to the AHL this year, earn more potential bonuses and better playing time.   Generally I subscribe to the notion that one in the hand is worth two in the bush though.

That's totally BS. But I would love to see Calgary do it, only to make them weaker. 

Also, the pure joy of watching Ovi getting on a plane next January to Korea with Burke losing his mind, throwing stuff at him at the airport would be priceless.

Followed by Ovi 'retiring' from the NHL the following season. Gold, Jerry, gold!!

21 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It'll be interesting to see what the Flames do to address that and where the likes of Elliott and Johnson wind up for next season.

Yep, colour me intrigued too.

Those 2 are far from world beaters, but good enough to get Cgy in the playoffs. One would think they would have gotten us in, too.

If I'm Chevy those 2 guys are the minimum calibre get for this offseason. Get someone who can give you a .915 or better for 30-50 starts next year & let the "kids" do the rest.

30 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Yep, colour me intrigued too.

Those 2 are far from world beaters, but good enough to get Cgy in the playoffs. One would think they would have gotten us in, too.

If I'm Chevy those 2 guys are the minimum calibre get for this offseason. Get someone who can give you a .915 or better for 30-50 starts next year & let the "kids" do the rest.

cut.jpg

Worked before and it will work again :D

There's no chance we open camp with Helle and Hutch next season.

I got a round for all* MBB if that happens.

...not to mention TNSE will be taking by season tickets back and refunding my payments ;) 

*Offer only valid in Hawaii and California. Round trip airfare and accommodations must be provided in order to obtain drinks.  Participant agrees to all terms and conditions, including but not limited to; forfeiture of home, property and cute pets.