Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

10 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Bear Woods was cut by the Als. Wondering if a 204 number will be showing up on his call display soon?

HUH? Where did you see that? I'm assuming its for NFL opportunities, can't see them cutting one of their best players the second day of camp.

My bad, looks like he was just straight up released...wtf Kavis? That's really weird. WALTERS!!!! GET ON IT!!!!!

Edited by Bigblue204

He is 30 but he did play in all 18 games last year and put up some pretty big stats.  I wouldn't mind seeing him here if we have the cap space.  We can keep our best MLB prospect around in case Woods gets hurt and then we're in no worse situation than if we hadn't picked him up.

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

He is 30 but he did play in all 18 games last year and put up some pretty big stats.  I wouldn't mind seeing him here if we have the cap space.  We can keep our best MLB prospect around in case Woods gets hurt and then we're in no worse situation than if we hadn't picked him up.

How thin is our funds right now for a guy like this?

Off season is over.  Figured we could use a new thread to whats happening in training camp around the league.

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/29/ticats-add-two-veteran-players-retired-list/

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have added two veteran players to the retired list.

American defensive back Demond Washington and Canadian defensive end Justin Capicciotti are dealing with injury issues suffered prior to training camp but I think it’s likely we’ll see them show up at some point before the start of the season. By placing the pair on the retired list, the Ticats can use the roster spots which are limited to 75 players (plus non-counters) during training camp until they return.

The team did not announce the moves but they appeared on the CFL transactions page Sunday night.

14 minutes ago, Nolby said:

How thin is our funds right now for a guy like this?

Good question... I feel like the abrupt retirements of Garrett Waggoner and Ryan Smith may have left us with some space but it's impossible to know for sure.

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Bear Woods was cut by the Als. Wondering if a 204 number will be showing up on his call display soon?

Something is seriously haywire if Woods is cut a day into camp, either he's damaged goods or it's SMS related.  Rumour has it Kavis was fooling around with the roster prior to camp to get a look at a few extra bodies so it could be related to that.  Strangely 36 y.o. Kyries Hebert stands and Woods falls.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Good question... I feel like the abrupt retirements of Garrett Waggoner and Ryan Smith may have left us with some space but it's impossible to know for sure.

Woods has talent. Its a money thing for sure IMO. The price has to reflect his injury risk however if a team wants to take a chance on him.

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

Anwar Stuart, who was a quality control coach with Montreal up till January critical of this move.

So with Montreal falling apart, Toronto with some big question marks and Sask with no QB, can we say that just making the playoffs this year isn't a big enough goal?

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So with Montreal falling apart, Toronto with some big question marks and Sask with no QB, can we say that just making the playoffs this year isn't a big enough goal?

Even if all those teams got significantly better... I would still argue just making the playoffs isn't good enough.... 

Woods was a CFL all star last year with 126 tackles, 2 ints and 5 sacks.  I really hope walters is kicking the tires on him,  he's exactly what were missing on D atm.  Not saying all the guys we have auditioning couldn't do well,  but I was even hoping earlier this offseason we would have tried to make a trade for him.  get er done walters!

New regime. Guys get whacked. It's football. @TheBEAR45 is probably en route to Toronto as we speak.

@TSNScianitti Hearing from #CFL sources Bear Woods was set to make 170K this season. #AlsMTL apparently already paid 20K of that amount

12 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Perhaps this is ratio related, I don't see any familiar names on the Als roster that would shout "Woods replacement".

This is their current LB crew.

Chris Ackie (N)

Nicolas Boulay (N)

Chip Cox (I)

Kyries Hebert (I)

Tabari McGaskey (I)

Frederic Plesius (N)

Anthony Sarao (I)