Bombers Training Camp 2017 - May 28

Mr Dee

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

OK but since Hurl was starting MLB the team improved it's defensive line... Was it replacing Hurl that made it go from 8th to 6th or upgrading the DL? I mean not like people haven't talked about Ritchie Halls defense needing a good DL to be truly effective since he was hired or anything...

Thank you, I'm pretty sure the entire defence revolves around speed, smaller quick Linebackers and dbs that have trouble stopping guys like Messam. Insert improved d-line, monster in Nevis in the middle and you get way less 1 on 1 matchups with Hurl up the gut.

Edited by Gotmilt

24 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

just caught the last hour of TC today here's my take on what I saw;

#92 Drake Nevis will be a beast for us in the middle this year.  During the Oline vs Dline session the guy has a crazy good motor and is able to beat Olinemen with what appears to be ease. 

#96 Rupert butcher is one massive dude. Probably could one day do what Thomas does in being a emergency Oline sub with that kind of size. He makes the rest of Dline look kind small tbh

#13 Dan Lefevour tossed up a 50+ yard pass almost right on the money, from all the reports on Apodacas arm I thought it was him at first (didn't have one of those roster sheets with me)

#6 Davis has a nice touch on the short passes. I was kind of joking to myself we should be rotating QBs with their different skill sets as the play dictates, as they all seem to bring something to the table,  but obviously that would be to obvious for D's.

#65 Dominick Jackson looked good at LT rotating with Bryant in the OL vs DL

Great news! really hope i can get out there soon, i'm on vacation all next week so i hope to catch a few practices.

55 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

I don't think it was his fault but I have a sneaking suspicion he didn't quite like getting his nose dirty and run stopping.

About Bass... I find this impossible to believe.  He brought the lumber when the chance was there, and if you missed him suplex'ing Jerome Messam last year well... it looked like he enjoyed that!

I will say that as a MLB there were times he simply chose the wrong lane, contributing to explosion plays by the opposing offence.

13 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

About Bass... I find this impossible to believe.  He brought the lumber when the chance was there, and if you missed him suplex'ing Jerome Messam last year well... it looked like he enjoyed that!

I will say that as a MLB there were times he simply chose the wrong lane, contributing to explosion plays by the opposing offence.

I think that's the problem is that he could make those plays but needed to do it more consistently. I think he was great in pass coverage but when we played teams like Calgary they barely had to throw because they knew they could just pound it up the middle.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I just can't see us bringing SO many MLB guys in if they're planning to start a guy they didn't even resign early in FA.

I'm not going to make a judgment about any guy playing MLB yet this season until we see it in game. IMO our D-line was the weakest part of our team last year.

4 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

depending the circumstances, if the team didn't feel confident in Coates, we could always play Harris at receiver, Flanders at RB and probably plug a NI somewhere on D,  like Hurl at MLB or Jones at DB. Thats what i would do if we needed to juggle

I really hope it doesn't have to come down to that. Yikes.

25 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I really hope it doesn't have to come down to that. Yikes.

True but due to injuries over the course of the season... stuff happens and it's nice to have legitimate options.

Not so long ago I believe we were starting Bucknor, T. Sherman, Morley, Greaves, Neufeld, Watson and Kohlert.  Seriously that was the starting Canadian lineup for awhile in 2014.  Oh yeah and 200 pound Mike Cornell getting reps at DT.  How we won 7 games that year I'm not sure.

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎31 at 3:05 PM, Gotmilt said:

It went from slight limp to leg amputation real quick in mine and mike's defence

I may be completely wrong about this but......Richards is considered a veteran right?? And he's hurt in training camp. I don't think the Bombers can cut him until he's healthy. I don't think a veteran who gets injured is allowed to be cut.

5 minutes ago, ddanger said:

I may be completely wrong about this but......Richards is considered a veteran right?? And he's hurt in training camp. I don't think the Bombers can cut him until he's healthy. I don't think a veteran who gets injured is allowed to be cut.

Richards will work hard to come back yada yada ...

MhpVB.gif

Just five days of camp and the season opener is still a month away — the battle for the starting MLB spot is *far from determined. #Bombers

Mike O'Shea described Sam Hurl as a "great barometer for the other guys," and "when you've been here, you step on the field first." #Bombers

Edited by Noeller

3 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

What's the chances Walters can convince Bear Woods he can win the cup with MOS this year .... its the only way I think they could ink him within budget

I got my buddy to ask Walters the other day if he'd have any interest in woods, and he said he was too expensive.  That said, apparently the Argos have tabled him an offer, which to my knowledge has not been agreed to after a few days now, so I'm really hoping there's a change in heart by the bombers, before it's too late.  I would seriously cut someone who has no chance of making the club,  bring in Woods and worry about the sms later in the season before the clubs bottom line gets locked in

Sam Hurl and Mike Miller

Sam Hurl wants his old job back.

Hurl believes he’s become a better player..."I think I’ve grown up over the years," he said. "You learn a lot throughout playing football. Just another year in (defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall’s) defence. So, I think I’m continuing to progress and getting smarter and better in football. My football IQ, I would say, has increased tremendously."

No doubt, there’s a lot of trust," said O’Shea of Hurl. "There are little things Sam does as a professional football player that is a great barometer for the other guys. The way he runs to the ball, his understanding of the entire defence, his willingness to speak up in meetings. Same with Ian Wild, he sets a pretty high standard. Sam has a lot of those qualities. I think also when you’ve been here, you step on the field first but Sammy does a great job."

Miller went undrafted out of Acadia and played his entire six-year career with the Eskimos. His versatility is expected to be a good fit in Winnipeg.

Said Miller: "There’s a good fit here. They take a lot of pride in their special teams here with coach O’Shea and (GM) Kyle Walters. I’ve always noticed how they have a good core of Canadians and special-teams players in general.

"He led the league in special-teams tackles last year," said O’Shea.

"You coach against a guy like that and he’s one of those guys you have to pay attention to all the time. You have to put your best matchup on him...

"The film showed that’s the guy I saw at Acadia and that’s the same guy I seen with the Eskimos and now, for us. We did a drill the other day and as I watched him, he’s got it all together. He just knows how to play, use his techniques, his body."

Watched approx 45 min of camp this morning:

A lady had her kid on a leash watching practice.

Langkford nearly broke Johnson's ankles in a one on one, then dropped the pass. Johnson picked the ball up and flipped it to Langkford,  who dropped it again. Ugly sequence for both guys...

In goal line 12 on 12, Nevis nearly took the handoff he beat his guy so badly. In one one ones, I only saw an OL beat him once, and it was Intzandt. 

Ekakite looked better than Butcher today imo. Based on his size, it seems like he should have a better bullrush than he does. Weird to say of a 300 pound man, but Ekakite looks small.  It's bc he's shortest guy in his group. Thomas looked great. Put two different ol on their backs.

Hardrick is crazy. He'd sprint to the back of the endzone after each rep. He won most of the reps I saw.

I've been to two practices and thought Bostic looked good both times. Winning most of his 1 on 1s. He and Green have both looked better than Jeffcoat in the reps I've watched. Jeffcoat got handled pretty easily in each rep I saw today. Pretty small sample though.

I'm not the biggest Kenny Stafford fan, but he's looked good each time I've watched him.

I'l post more if I think of anything else.