Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

But hey if you're going to lose your starting qb this is probably the offseason to do it in, could be lots of guys who can fill in available. Maybe Durant, Glenn is an option, Maybe pry Franklin out of Edmonton with a good offer, Would a guy trust Travis Lulay in the interm if you can get him free? I dunno seems like the position is in a much stronger place league wide than it has been in quite some time. 

If we had Franklin in the bag I would be ok with losing Nichols.  I am just basing that on what I've seen of Franklin and what I've seen has me pretty impressed.  I don't want broken down Lulay (kind of a Buck Pierce situation there, minus the many concussions) and I don't want to ever see Glenn starting for us, ok with him as a back-up mentor and that's it.  Otherwise, I'm going all in on Nichols.  Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Image result for really seth meyers

glenn was pure fire for a fist full of games in MTL. With probably the worst OL, nik lewis whose combined age and weight make wade miller feel better about him self and the head case player of the year. If you take away the one game against us and his season was very good. Consider the team around him and its exceptional. 

Really the difference is nichols can be more then year to year. Glenn cant. Due to the jump in nichols play as compared with the rest of his time as a starter you gotta have a back up that can come in and play. With glenn you need the same because he could go down or old age could get him at any point. That 1 + 2 combo is probably the best case scenario for us. The question means neither guy should warrant top tier money. An incentive laden deal + competition for the top spot is as good as it gets. 

That said a spot like ottawa or hamilton would be a good fit for him too. Two strong teams that could go into next year with ?s at QB. He could have the same kind of fit with them and maybe a better chance to steal a starter spot on a contender. 

13 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If Glenn decides to move on I wouldn't mind having Lefevour as a backup to Nichols.  If Nichols went down I think Lefevour could post a .500 record behind a solid O-line which is decent expectations for a backup.  He might add some diversity as a red-zone QB as well, did I mention that he runs like a bull? 

LeFevour is pretty raw but I do like his competitive attitude. Heck, for all we know, Dominique Davis might be as good, but I suspect he will not see the field much before he qualifies for CPP.

14 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If Glenn decides to move on I wouldn't mind having Lefevour as a backup to Nichols.  If Nichols went down I think Lefevour could post a .500 record behind a solid O-line which is decent expectations for a backup.  He might add some diversity as a red-zone QB as well, did I mention that he runs like a bull? 

He reminds me of a poor mans jonathon jennings. If we missed out on getting on of the vets who have played at a high level as a back up he would be a solid pick. In a tier with jeremiah masoli, and rakeem cato. Id rather have cato, but i dont think their is a big difference in the talent level.

You cannot stress enough, the importance of signing good young National players. 

Justin Warden, John Rush and Brandon Tennant. Welcome back to the fold.

The fact that Warden and Tennant were on the practice roster at the end of the season, and now are invited back, is encouraging. John Rush, who attended TC in 2016, is also a welcome addition.

The backbone of any CFL roster is the depth of National players. Before Walters, at GM, we didn't seem to appreciate that fact and we suffered depth-wise for years. Last year, we saw how important good depth meant to the overall roster when we suffered so many injuries.

These signings may not titilate the average fan, but to me, I say it's a good start to the off season.

9 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

You cannot stress enough, the importance of signing good young National players. 

Justin Warden, John Rush and Brandon Tennant. Welcome back to the fold.

The fact that Warden and Tennant were on the practice roster at the end of the season, and now are invited back, is encouraging. John Rush, who attended TC in 2016, is also a welcome addition.

The backbone of any CFL roster is the depth of National players. Before Walters, at GM, we didn't seem to appreciate that fact and we suffered depth-wise for years. Last year, we saw how important good depth meant to the overall roster when we suffered so many injuries.

These signings may not titilate the average fan, but to me, I say it's a good start to the off season.

Especially the linebacker. How could he be a flop with a name like that?

8 hours ago, tracker said:

LeFevour is pretty raw but I do like his competitive attitude. Heck, for all we know, Dominique Davis might be as good, but I suspect he will not see the field much before he qualifies for CPP.

VHFVT.gif

Don't get the love affair with Nichols. He's far from great and was not the difference in this team in 2016. He was very much the same in 2015. If I was Walters the conversation would go something like this: "If you want to continue to be a part of what we're trying to build here then you're welcome to stay and here's what we're willing to pay you, we think it's very fair, take it or leave it". 

26 minutes ago, J5V said:

Don't get the love affair with Nichols. He's far from great and was not the difference in this team in 2016. He was very much the same in 2015. If I was Walters the conversation would go something like this: "If you want to continue to be a part of what we're trying to build here then you're welcome to stay and here's what we're willing to pay you, we think it's very fair, take it or leave it". 

And this is why I'm so very thankful that you are NOT Walters

3 hours ago, J5V said:

And I don't get where you're coming from.

4 hours ago, J5V said:

I think he's average. He's not worth anywhere near 400k... nevermind 450 K. .. I'd probably offer him 325 350 K max in a take it or leave it type of offer. 

I think he's a smug arrogant person and I rarely never enjoy his little articles but Doug browns piece on Nichols in the free press was pretty much bang on. 

Essentially the point is... Nichols needs the bombers more than the bombers need him..

Being realistic there aren't many options for Matt Nichols out there to be the starter. It's really in reality it's just us. 

Edited by Goalie

6 hours ago, J5V said:

I think you have to preface this conversation with "thanks for saving our asses Matt, unfortunately...."

15 hours ago, J5V said:

The point you're missing is there's no "love affair".... he isn't the messiah ready to take over the CFL with his spectacular QBing skills... what he is, is a capable QB who WILL win us some football games... and unless you haven't been paying attention... we haven't had one of those in quite some time...