Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

On 1/7/2017 at 5:32 PM, TBURGESS said:

They've got less SMS room this year than they've had for a while. In 2016 they used the entire 2016 SMS + Whatever they spent on extensions at the end of 2015 + Whatever they had to move the 2017 SMS in Medlock and Bryant's renegotiated contracts. This year, they have the 2017 SMS - the money moved into the 2017 budget for Medlock and Bryant.

Walters' job gets much harder than in years past and a mistake now will be magnified. 

On 1/7/2017 at 5:19 PM, Mark H. said:

Considering they play in a QB driven league, I hope you're wrong. If they cut Glenn it should be because they have confidence in Davis as the #2 guy - if that then gives them more cap room, it's just a bonus. If history hasn't taught them not to roll the dice on their #1 QB started staying healthy, then I don't know what will. Again, I hope you're wrong. 

I'm reminded of when the Riders let Willy go because they thought they had a sure thing in Sunseri. Boy, that didn't work out very well for them. If Nichols goes down early and Davis is a bust we could find ourselves in deep doo-doo yet again.

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

I'm reminded of when the Riders let Willy go because they thought they had a sure thing in Sunseri. Boy, that didn't work out very well for them. If Nichols goes down early and Davis is a bust we could find ourselves in deep doo-doo yet again.

They let Willy go because there were other teams who were going to offer him starter money and they couldn't because Durant was their starter.  

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

They let Willy go because there were other teams who were going to offer him starter money and they couldn't because Durant was their starter.  

At least with Sunseri they had actually seen him take some real, live snaps and thought he was going to be great. 

16 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Sunseri had fewer years in the league and fewer pass attempts at that point than Davis has now.

yes but the rider hype machine isnt dependent on playing time. plus the rider fans have that heavy tendency of who ever we have is super awesome and who ever leaves was never that good any way. 

Its easy to fall in love with a QB in practice too. No real rush, no hitting em, It allows the raw tool set to really shine. Guys like mcleod bethel thompson for instance. Or Robert marve. Tee martin in his first TC was constantly in the freep write up for making a great run or showing serious zip on the ball etc. 

JUST IN: According to @alexmarvez, the Cleveland Browns will hire Bob Wylie as their OL coach 
#CFL #Bombers.                                                                                                                                                                  Just when our oline was finally melding into a cohesive unit, probably going to hurt more than losing one of our free agent players, other than Nichols.

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Little surprise the Browns wanted Wylie. Hue Jackson and him have worked before with Raiders. Believe there was rumours last year he might join Jacksons staff.

I was going to say I hope Paul Charbonneau his assistant doesn't follow Wylie but I see that he already left to be the Als RB coach last season.  From the Bombers website I see they are left with Marty Costello who was the assistant OL coach last year.  Hopefully he is ready to step up to the top job or they can steal away an experienced OL coach from another CFL team.  "Paging Pat Delmonaco, please come home.   All is forgiven, as the previous troubles probably weren't entirely your fault.  BTW we got rid of the sausage and now have real beef."

On ‎01‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:29 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I was going to say I hope Paul Charbonneau his assistant doesn't follow Wylie but I see that he already left to be the Als RB coach last season.  From the Bombers website I see they are left with Marty Costello who was the assistant OL coach last year.  Hopefully he is ready to step up to the top job or they can steal away an experienced OL coach from another CFL team.  "Paging Pat Delmonaco, please come home.   All is forgiven, as the previous troubles probably weren't entirely your fault.  BTW we got rid of the sausage and now have real beef."

The silver lining is that Wylie did enough with these hoggies that they should be developed to the point where a new coach can more or less come in and be status quo. They should be able to manage themselves at this point, it's not a young group.