Bombers interested in bringing a Soccer Team to Winnipeg?

Smart move. The club needs to find different ways to utilize IGF for more dates. Soccer in Winnipeg has many fans. Who woulda thought the Goldeyes would be so successful. I think soccer is boring and personally would never sit through a match, but see that with the proper management it could work here and might actually strengthen our football club from a financial standpoint.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Except nothing to do with True North.....

Actually, it's rumoured to be a partnership between True North and the Bombers. That would definitely reduce the financial risk to the Bombers.

I'm excited to see if there are any deals to be had by having both Bomber and CPL season tickets.

I think there's a lot of Wpg people who are just obsessed with all things True North, who are just overly hopeful that this is a TNSE thing. Personally, as much as I have nothing against Chipper and crew, I'd like the Bombers to do this on their own...just to prove they can, and that not everything in this city needs to be a TNSE project.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think there's a lot of Wpg people who are just obsessed with all things True North, who are just overly hopeful that this is a TNSE thing. Personally, as much as I have nothing against Chipper and crew, I'd like the Bombers to do this on their own...just to prove they can, and that not everything in this city needs to be a TNSE project.

I for one, welcome our True North overlords.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Winnipeg Fury - Played in big stadium on art. turf. Left stadium because of the size and turf.

"We know from hosting the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup..."

Well then they would know the players prefer real grass.

Is University Stadium still around?

That "turf" at IGF is going to be better than any grass field here.  They won't spend the amount they would need to maintain a nice grass field here.  Remember how horrible the field was at Waverley when they tried to play soccer here before, both pro and CMNT?  Grass and soccer season don't really mix here.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Winnipeg Fury - Played in big stadium on art. turf. Left stadium because of the size and turf.

"We know from hosting the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup..."

Well then they would know the players prefer real grass.

Is University Stadium still around?

It's right next door but who would go to a game in a run down 50 year old venue like that that seats 4,000? Has any money been spent so it has been at least a bit refurbished? Does minor football & soccer use it?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

54 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's right next door but who would go to a game in a run down 50 year old venue like that that seats 4,000? Has any money been spent so it has been at least a bit refurbished? Does minor football & soccer use it?

Must have been refurbed for 99 Pan Am Games? You think more then 4K are going to show up?

15 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Must have been refurbed for 99 Pan Am Games? You think more then 4K are going to show up?

When the Fury played at Canad Inns if they got 6,000 it was a great crowd. At the same time it'll never work if they play at Pan Am Stadium. The Bombers want another tenant to defray operating costs so if it meant playing at the old stadium next door they'd never be a part of any soccer team coming to Winnipeg.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I've played soccer on grass, the older turf (Fury style I believe) and the newer stuff the bombers use. I love playing on the new stuff. Grass is great too if its in top shape.

Football on the other hand, I just love playing and watching when it turns to a muddy field. Seemed like it always helped the esks having grass too.