The Health Thread

Wow, A lot of great stuff on this thread... thanks for everyone for sharing... I wanted to "like" and quote nearly half the posts but it just seemed easier to chime in with my history and experiences...

I have battled with weight my entire life.... while I have always been active and never been obese it was always tough growing up as the chubby kid... the most I've ever seen on the scale (I'm fairly sure it's been higher I've just never seen it) is 242 lbs... 

I am currently 30 years old, around 6'1 (which is the height I've been since I was about 14) and weigh in the high 190s... in the past 10 years I have fluctuated from the aforementioned 242 to as low as 177 (this was when I was working an extremely active job and I pretty much couldn't eat enough to gain weight)... as soon as I went back to a desk job, it probably only took 6 months to get back to around 220... 

Everyone's plan will be different and I've always maintained that finding what works for each individual is the best solution... as somebody mentioned earlier there is no one right way to maintain a healthy weight... it's all about finding a plan that work for you and your lifestyle and sticking to it (I believe it was voodoo but sorry I can't remember)...

A little over a year ago I saw a friend that I hadn't seen in a few months and he was noticeable thinner... he had been around 275 and at this point he was probably around 230 (he's healthily about 175-180 now)... he introduced me to the keto diet... So I started working on my own version of it... basically the plan was not to go full keto but just cut out some garbage carbs like bread and pasta and reduce sugars and fruits... at the time I was uncomfortably around 210 and my wedding was 3 months away... after making a few changes I was able to get down to around 195 by the wedding and I've been floating around that weight for some time now...

for me exercise has never been a problem... I love hitting the gym and lifting and playing sports... I used to run a lot too (I ran 5 half-marathons from 2011-2015) but I've slowed down on that the past few years due to knee issues... Final though (sorry for the long winded post)... for those thinking about yoga, I would 100% recommend it... I actually really like hot yoga because even though I generally sweat a disgusting amount (sorry to the people near me at yoga class) I've always enjoyed the "cleansing" feeling of a good sweat... 

Thanks for reading :D

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My gf once did a Hot Yoga challenge where she went every day for 30 days.  I dont know how she did it. But she was toned as **** after.

The place I go to does that too... to be honest, I've always wanted to try it but I find it hard enough to get out once a week, nevermind every day for a month... I know I'm just making excuses but I'm also not sure if my body can handle it or my washing machine (I'd have to go through a whole lot of towels!)

13 minutes ago, bearpants said:

The place I go to does that too... to be honest, I've always wanted to try it but I find it hard enough to get out once a week, nevermind every day for a month... I know I'm just making excuses but I'm also not sure if my body can handle it or my washing machine (I'd have to go through a whole lot of towels!)

My wife teaches out of a hot yoga studio so I can attest to the never ending pile of towels.

During the 30 days challenges, people will often take back-to-back classes rather than go every day.  The goal is to do 30 classes in 30 days so for some, that's easier than trying to make it to a class every single day.

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So this farm is lying?  isnt that illegal?

This is what I ordered:

https://www.myfarmersmarket.com/beef/2692/sirloin-steak-grass-fed-beef-15-oz-approx.html

Its now $12.55 but I double checked my order and it was $9.95 when I ordered last friday.  Must have got a deal.  The link includes a description of the farm (Spring Creek Farm).  So if you're telling me this is impossible, is there a regulatory body to talk to?

The organic / natural food industry is relatively new and is subject to very few regulations - I haven't a clue who you'd complain to.

I don't usually buy steak but a 15 ounce sirloin has got to be worth around 20 bucks at most grocery stores - good cuts of beef are worth $15 - $20 per pound these days.  Grass fed beef at $10 / pound is bloody unlikely (pun intended) 

I'll tell you my pork story too. Back when we raised hogs (commercial operation) a guy who sold 'natural pork' would buy young hogs from us, at the age where they had all their immunizations (2) and whatever antibiotics they would get.  He raised them to slaughter weight in a shed on straw out in the country, then butchered and sold them as 'natural meat, free from drugs & vaccines.'  As soon as we found out what he was doing, our business with him was terminated.

When something sounds to good to be true - it usually is.

Unless you have something more than that, I find it hard to believe a well-advertised farm would simply be lying.  My understanding is that to actually use the term organic takes a lot of time and effort and is subject to inspection. I would imagine the hardcore organic community wouldn't let this stand.  Ill say a small family farm that does its own butchering keeps costs down enough (and I got a deal).

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My understanding is that to actually use the term organic takes a lot of time and effort and is subject to inspection.

lol!  One of the most under-regulated industries out there.  Who told you this?  What inspections??  There are barely even rules let alone enforcement of those rules

42 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Unless you have something more than that, I find it hard to believe a well-advertised farm would simply be lying.  My understanding is that to actually use the term organic takes a lot of time and effort and is subject to inspection. I would imagine the hardcore organic community wouldn't let this stand.  Ill say a small family farm that does its own butchering keeps costs down enough (and I got a deal).

We eat a lot of organic stuff, but we also realize the organic market is not regulated as well as it should be.  They put the word "organic" on things but the term doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means.

I looked up the place you're buying your meat from.  And I noticed something in the description of the meat:

This beef is raised free range, pastured on grass & natural vegetation

"Natural vegetation" could mean corn, barley, etc...  That's all natural vegetation.  Just because they pasture it on grass doesn't mean that's all they feed them.  I'm not saying they aren't all grass fed, maybe you're right and they're telling the full truth.  But just be careful, because what you may think you're getting might not be what it is.  You sometimes have to read between the lines.  It doesn't say they don't feed their beef any filler, but who knows.  In any case, it's not that the beef would be bad, but just not what you might think it is.  I've bought grass fed beef in the past and normally it's more expensive than regular beef.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

lol!  One of the most under-regulated industries out there.  Who told you this?  What inspections??  There are barely even rules let alone enforcement of those rules

I said it was my understanding.  I am not a regulatory agent.  I was told this by some people who eat strictly organic.

I guess the option is to assume we're being lied to and rather then eat food grown locally on farms that claim to be drug free, we can order the food we know is pumped full of drugs and other nasty stuff. 

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

We eat a lot of organic stuff, but we also realize the organic market is not regulated as well as it should be.  They put the word "organic" on things but the term doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means.

I looked up the place you're buying your meat from.  And I noticed something in the description of the meat:

This beef is raised free range, pastured on grass & natural vegetation

"Natural vegetation" could mean corn, barley, etc...  That's all natural vegetation.  Just because they pasture it on grass doesn't mean that's all they feed them.  I'm not saying they aren't all grass fed, maybe you're right and they're telling the full truth.  But just be careful, because what you may think you're getting might not be what it is.  You sometimes have to read between the lines.  It doesn't say they don't feed their beef any filler, but who knows.  In any case, it's not that the beef would be bad, but just not what you might think it is.  I've bought grass fed beef in the past and normally it's more expensive than regular beef.

My understanding with his (and correct me if Im wrong) but corn fed beef became a big thing because corn is cheap.  But corn is not a natural diet for cows and it causes them issues leading to the use of anti-biotics etc.  So that farm also claims its meat is drug free.  I also saw "natural vegetation" and wondered...because thats a pretty general thing.  If they mean grass, say grass.  Those they do describe it as grass fed.

Ultimately, Im not on the farm or in the butcher so I can never know.  But we can make decisions and hope its the truth.  Its a local farm.  They promote their food as being free of drugs and hormones.  They claim their animals are treated humanely.  They could be lying. 

I think the fact they are also their own butcher might be why they keep their prices down.  But again, Im only a consumer so I can only know what we're told.  The government should vastly increase regulation and inspection.  People will and do pay more for this stuff.  We should be protected.

For what its worth, and Im not beef expert so I dont know the different cuts, the prices today are (all grass fed):

Eye of Round Steak  12 oz: $10:55

New York Steak 12 oz: $12.55

Ribeye 1.2lbs: $16.25

Sirloin Steak 15oz $12.55 (this is what I got for $9.99 last week)

I dont know if those are good prices, too good to be true prices or reasonable prices.  Meat expert??  (and which cut is best?)

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I said it was my understanding.  I am not a regulatory agent.  I was told this by some people who eat strictly organic.

I guess the option is to assume we're being lied to and rather then eat food grown locally on farms that claim to be drug free, we can order the food we know is pumped full of drugs and other nasty stuff. 

Why are you getting so defensive about it?  I'm just saying that the organic food industry is not nearly as regulated as people think.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Haha if you say so.  The people reading this will judge for themselves and it's pretty clear you're upset by the whole thing.

Oh no, not the people reading the thread! lol 

I dont get upset here.  My point in my response which upset you was that given the lack of truly knowing, its still wiser to make the effort to get better meat (and other things).  The stuff you get at the store, much of it anyway, you DO know is full of crap. 

So sort of a "Hey lets eat healthy!"  "Nah, its all BS".  "Okay, give me the steroid steak!"  being facetious.

You do have to be careful when looking at organic food labelling, but when you find a source, make sure it is certified organic and available from a reputable store or service. There are strict guidelines as to what can be labelled certified organic and the growth of 'health food stores' helps, somewhat, in taking the guesswork out of it. Private sources may be different, of course, so vigilance is important. 

signed - organically fed, Mr Dee

12 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

You do have to be careful when looking at organic food labelling, but when you find a source, make sure it is certified organic and available from a reputable store or service. There are strict guidelines as to what can be labelled certified organic and the growth of 'health food stores' helps, somewhat, in taking the guesswork out of it. Private sources may be different, of course, so vigilance is important. 

signed - organically fed, Mr Dee

Ooo, you're 100% organic?  When the world comes to an end I'm eating you first.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My understanding with his (and correct me if Im wrong) but corn fed beef became a big thing because corn is cheap.  But corn is not a natural diet for cows and it causes them issues leading to the use of anti-biotics etc.  So that farm also claims its meat is drug free.  I also saw "natural vegetation" and wondered...because thats a pretty general thing.  If they mean grass, say grass.  Those they do describe it as grass fed.

Ultimately, Im not on the farm or in the butcher so I can never know.  But we can make decisions and hope its the truth.  Its a local farm.  They promote their food as being free of drugs and hormones.  They claim their animals are treated humanely.  They could be lying. 

I think the fact they are also their own butcher might be why they keep their prices down.  But again, Im only a consumer so I can only know what we're told.  The government should vastly increase regulation and inspection.  People will and do pay more for this stuff.  We should be protected.

For what its worth, and Im not beef expert so I dont know the different cuts, the prices today are (all grass fed):

Eye of Round Steak  12 oz: $10:55

New York Steak 12 oz: $12.55

Ribeye 1.2lbs: $16.25

Sirloin Steak 15oz $12.55 (this is what I got for $9.99 last week)

I dont know if those are good prices, too good to be true prices or reasonable prices.  Meat expert??  (and which cut is best?)

Hey, if this is anywhere close to being what it says it is, then I'd rather eat their meat as well.  Especially if they don't have any antibiotics or hormones, that alone would do it for me.

Personally I don't know prices either...my wife buys everything.