Space is the Place

Atomic

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

You are correct in that Einstein saw quantum mechanics as " spooky action at a distance" and tried his best to ignore it. However it has persisted and has been repeatedly proven by such experiments as they have been able to design. Quantum mechanics are used to design all current electronics, so it is tangible and even has theological implications. For example, it is a tenet of quantum mechanics that nothing can exist without being aware of by an conscious being. It also supports the propositions of "The Holographic Universe"- a book that I have treasured for a long time.

Bohr famously said, " If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you are wrong. If you think you do not understand quantum mechanics, you are right".

Einstein was also skeptical that black holes actually existed, even though his math and equations predicted they do.

• 2 weeks later...

https://apnews.com/article/webb-space-telescope-star-2d703565f9521f71dcbf11441d920f67

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — The Webb Space Telescope has captured the rare and fleeting phase of a star on the cusp of death.

The observation was among the first made by Webb following its launch in late 2021. Its infrared eyes observed all the gas and dust flung into space by a huge, hot star 15,000 light-years away. A light-year is about 5.8 trillion miles.

Shimmering in purple like a cherry blossom, the cast-off material once comprised the star’s outer layer. The Hubble Space Telescope snapped a shot of the same transitioning star a few decades ago, but it appeared more like a fireball without the delicate details.

This star in the constellation Sagittarius, officially known as WR 124, is 30 times as massive as our sun and already has shed enough material to account for 10 suns, according to NASA.

600.jpeg

The JWST is an absolute marvel of technology.

Edited by blue_gold_84

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Skyscraper-size asteroid will get closer to Earth than the moon on March 25 https://trib.al/X6oywVE

8f32a9ef9da21003525d1481964eaa7177b0e6bf.gifv

"Fortunately, the asteroid will remain about 107,500 miles (173,000 kilometers) from Earth, according to the Virtual Telescope Project. Given what is known about 2023 DZ2's orbit right now, there is a 1-in-430 chance that it will impact Earth on March 27, 2026. However, according to EarthSky, that slight chance is likely to vanish as astronomers learn more about the asteroid's trajectory. The space rock orbits the sun every 3.17 years."

On 3/5/2023 at 5:19 PM, Rich said:

Einstein was also skeptical that black holes actually existed, even though his math and equations predicted they do.

For anyone who wishes to watch a digestible explanation of quantum phenomena, Nova next Wednesday on PBS promises to be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/artemisii-astronauts-moon-canadian-1.6796246

Jeremy Hansen is heading to the moon.

The 47-year old Canadian astronaut was announced today as one of four astronauts — along with Christina Koch, Victor Glover and Reid Wiseman — who will be part of NASA's Artemis II mission.

The astronauts won't be landing, but rather they will orbit for 10 days in the Orion spacecraft, testing key components to prepare for Artemis III that will place humans back on the moon some time in 2025 for the first time since 1972.

...the four astronauts will travel farther than any astronauts ever have before them. With Artemis I, the Orion capsule travelled 434,523 kilometres from Earth. The farthest any other human-rated spacecraft had travelled previously was 400,171 kilometres during the Apollo 13 mission.

Canada gets a seat on Artemis II due to its contributions to Lunar Gateway, a space station that will orbit the moon. But Canada is also building a lunar rover provided by Canadensys Aerospace.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-comet-water

The James Webb Space Telescope has spotted water around a rare comet located in the main asteroid belt between Jupiter and Mars. 

The observation represents another scientific breakthrough for the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), representing the first time that gas, in this case, water vapor, has been detected around a comet in the main asteroid belt. This is important as it shows that water in the early solar system could have been preserved as ice in the main asteroid belt.

The discovery of water vapor around Comet 238P/Read could significantly boost theories that water, a vital ingredient for life, was delivered to our planet from space by comets.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.livescience.com/space/the-moon/new-quasi-moon-discovered-near-earth-has-been-travelling-alongside-our-planet-since-100-bc

Scientists recently discovered an asteroid that tags along with Earth during its yearly journey around the sun. 

Dubbed 2023 FW13, the space rock is considered a "quasi-moon" or "quasi-satellite," meaning it orbits the sun in a similar time frame as Earth does, but is only slightly influenced by our planet’s gravitational pull. It is estimated to be 50 feet (15 meters) in diameter — roughly equivalent to three large SUVs parked bumper to bumper. During its orbit of the sun, 2023 FW13 also circles Earth, coming within 9 million miles (14 million kilometers) of our planet. For comparison, the moon has a diameter of 2,159 miles (3,474 km) and comes within 226,000 miles (364,000 km) of Earth at the closest point of its orbit, according to NASA

Some estimates suggest that 2023 FW13 has been Earth's cosmic neighbor since at least 100 B.C. and that the space rock will continue to follow this orbital path until around A.D. 3700...

This is not Earth's only quasi-companion; a different quasi-satellite known as Kamo'oalewa was discovered in 2016. The rock sticks similarly close to our planet during its orbit around the sun, and a 2021 study suggested that this asteroid could actually be a fragment of Earth's moon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

"We have zero technology as a species to bring Psyche back to Earth. And if we did, it would likely be a catastrophic mistake," Elkins-Tanton said. 

"Let's say we were able to actually bring Psyche back. Then it would flood the metals market, and it would literally be worth nothing," she added. "So, calculating the value of it is a fun intellectual exercise with no truth to it. We are not going there to mine an asteroid."

This is the issue here... instead of mining the asteroid or bringing a good chunk back to solve the scarcity issue with metals and make it affordable for everyone... lets not try because... money. I wish a Billionaire philanthropist would go mine that asteroid and break the mineral market.

16 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

"We have zero technology as a species to bring Psyche back to Earth. And if we did, it would likely be a catastrophic mistake," Elkins-Tanton said. 

"Let's say we were able to actually bring Psyche back. Then it would flood the metals market, and it would literally be worth nothing," she added. "So, calculating the value of it is a fun intellectual exercise with no truth to it. We are not going there to mine an asteroid."

This is the issue here... instead of mining the asteroid or bringing a good chunk back to solve the scarcity issue with metals and make it affordable for everyone... lets not try because... money. I wish a Billionaire philanthropist would go mine that asteroid and break the mineral market.

I feel like most resources mined in space will need to be processed in space and I'm not sure how much we would conceivably bring back down to Earth (until we have a space elevator anyway).  I feel like the cost of fuel to ferry a ship up and back, not to mention the weight of the returning ship would be somewhat inefficient.

From an environmental perspective though, I'm sure that mining an asteroid would be far more friendly to the Earth than the mines that we currently have.