Space is the Place

Atomic

10 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

so let's say man perfected the art of cryogenics and re-animation,  the next hurdle for space travel would be ship fuel and maintenance. I'm sure robots could handle the load for a while but at some point,  someone(s) would need to wake up and do checks.

passengers-16-1500x844.jpg

Space is the place with the helpful hardware man.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

If aliens were able to figure out how to do it, why wouldn't we be able to?

technology and resources would be my guess.  maybe through a solar powered energy we could charge a battery long enough to last until we reached a new star and basicly jump from star to star doing the same thing recharging as we go, but I don't think we have anything that wouldn't run out eventually at our disposal

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Regarding Cryogenics, I was fascinated by this as a kid and always wanted to be frozen.  To me, it was probably not going to work but its not like it'd be waiting the 500 years.  Close your eyes one moment in 2050, open them the next in 2550.  And if there actually was a company that stuck around that whole time or government oversight, its not like you'd wake up at Portage & Main 500 years in the future.  You'd awaken in a facility where your exposure to the changes in technology etc could be spoon fed to you.

Another option Im intrigued about is the ability to download the essence of ones mind into a computer that would be able to match the speed and complexity of the brain providing you with the sense of consciousness,  Once they get there, you live forever...or until someone hits CTRL ALT DELETE.

Spock's Brain.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not national news, but I just started working at Blue Origin, Jeff Bezos' rocket company.

https://www.blueorigin.com/

Step 1 for us is suborbital space tourism -- next year if all goes to plan. 

Step 2 is ???  but we're talking about "millions of people living and working in space." 

So I am pretty pumped, it's by far the coolest thing I've ever done.

10 hours ago, johnzo said:

Not national news, but I just started working at Blue Origin, Jeff Bezos' rocket company.

Step 2 is ???  but we're talking about "millions of people living and working in space." 

Holy **** man.... congratulations.  That's amazing!!

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How can someone be "close" to discovering something.... you either have discovered it or you haven't.

I think this is being blown out of proportion.  Technologically we are more capable of finding life than ever before but that certainly doesn't mean we're close.

Just now, Atomic said:

How can someone be "close" to discovering something.... you either have discovered it or you haven't.

I think this is being blown out of proportion.  Technologically we are more capable of finding life than ever before but that certainly doesn't mean we're close.

I think the suspicion is NASA might have preliminary evidence of life but not the direct confirmation.  If you find a planet with the right temperature, an atmosphere, liquid water and certain gasses evident, it tells you there is probably life.  But confirming that 100% is the issue,

I think if/when they confirm microbial life, they will release it.

If they have evidence of intelligent life...that, Im not so sure about.  I would suspect the US government would "National Security" that information into oblivion.  The problem is, there are other nations that might not.  Who knows.

I tend to think the discovery of life, even if its advanced would be a good thing for the world.  Even the Pope "endorsed" aliens a few years ag.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think the suspicion is NASA might have preliminary evidence of life but not the direct confirmation.  If you find a planet with the right temperature, an atmosphere, liquid water and certain gasses evident, it tells you there is probably life.  But confirming that 100% is the issue

Right, and it's a big issue.  Look at how much we are still learning about planets like Jupiter in our own solar system.  Anything further out is just educated guesses even when it comes to composition of the planet.  Temperature, liquid water, certain gases?  They still can't know that with any certainty without a probe in orbit around the planet.

On 2017-6-16 at 10:00 PM, johnzo said:

The 8 to 17 yr old in me is very jealous. 

I know I watch too many movies, but I do believe to some degree aliens have been among us at certain points and abductions have occurred.  I think about the way we handle new species, we tend to observe from afar how they act and interact in their natural habitat getting primary knowledge of them. Once we've collected the basic info we start going a step further in abducting them and doing scientific research on them until we have everything we need to know. 

I don't believe aliens come with the purpose of conquer, but like us just have a general curiosity to a new life. 

Problem with humans is our instinctive fight or flight response. Once alien life becomes known we're either going to **** ourselves in panic and fear,  or feel the need to kill them, before they kill us. 

Its hard to say.  I was definitely in the "Aliens are real" camp for a long time.  But as I have gotten older I get more...demanding of evidence I guess.

There is some compelling accounts and video out there.  I just saw one recently that was a daytime video from Las Vegas which clearly shows a circular object moving through the sky with two fighter jets "chasing" it. 

The easy explanation for a lot of this is secret US military craft.  But some of the video and accounts are pretty remarkable.

Maybe from the 80's to the 90's there was a lot of interest in this.  The computer age which people thought was back engineered.  You had Reagan give an odd speech about the world uniting to fend off a threat from outer space.  That Canadian Defense Minister who admitted the US had aliens.  Bob Lazar.  And everyone had a camcorder.  Edgar Mitchel (Moon walking Astronaut who says Aliens are real). 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Japan has plans to go the moon as well.  Unfortunately have to link to fake news CNN but I think we can trust this one.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/29/asia/japan-moon-landing-jaxa/index.html

CNN is only fake when you dont like what they report. lol

A new space race would probably be for the best.  The day Japan or any country plants their flag on the moon, perhaps the US will wake up and get back in the game.

43 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

CNN is only fake when you dont like what they report. lol

A new space race would probably be for the best.  The day Japan or any country plants their flag on the moon, perhaps the US will wake up and get back in the game.

I question the value of walking on the moon, to be honest.  I'm not sure what anyone gets out of that.  Don't get me wrong I love to see it, but it's a lot of money for a questionable return.

17 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I question the value of walking on the moon, to be honest.  I'm not sure what anyone gets out of that.  Don't get me wrong I love to see it, but it's a lot of money for a questionable return.

Im too lazy (and busy) to do some searching but I believe the last space race led to a lot of technological development.  They basically have to invent new technology to accomplish these goals.

Plus the scientific advancement that comes with experiments and gaining knowledge.  I think the entirety of it expands human knowledge and evolution.  The "national pride" that comes with it is a bonus but I wouldn't short change the positive that comes with a few minutes of largely global focus on a peaceful cooperative enterprise.

Plus, if a mission to Mars has clear merit, going to the Moon first is probably advantageous to that.  W. laid this all out and Obama cancelled it.  The price tag is likely a fraction of that which is spent on wars.

Humanity should always be pushing forward.

I'd rather see money spent into building some kind of star base like they had in Star Trek Beyond (Yorkton) or Elysium. I'm not really sure what will come first, the ability to colonize another planet, or the destruction of earth, so it might be wiser to start building a space station capable of sustaining a large populous as a stop gap measure