2018 Pyeongchang - Winter Olympics

JCon

29 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I hope it gets worked out but players like Ovi saying he's going either way doesnt help the cause of the players.  He isn't going unless its sanctioned by the NHL or he doesnt have an NHL contract.  If a fine and suspension is worth it to him, then the PA can get together and offer the league a cash incentive to do it.

Ovi said he was going after his owner said he could. So, kind of a mixed message from the NHL/ownership.

I think the NHL has to fine him, if not suspend him, if he goes. I bet he gets fined a lot and that's it. He'll get that money back from someone in Russia (or the Trump administration - I kid!!).

I'm coming around on the idea that the players need to offer something. I would love to see the CBA extended cause I don't care that much about the players or the owners and their gripes. But, I don't think it's particularly fair for the richest players to tell their teammates to suck up another CBA so that they can go to Korea (and China). Kind of breaks down the collective bargaining part of the whole thing.

Goalie is right.  But if Ovi went, I'd suspect him the rest of the season.  I'd make that known ahead of time that anyone violating their contracts will not play the rest of the season and playoffs.  Period.  You cannot violate your contract in that way. 

But yes, the IIHF wont allow it which is why guys like the Caps owner can kiss up to fans and players when he should be showing a unified front with his fellow owners.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Goalie is right.  But if Ovi went, I'd suspect him the rest of the season.  I'd make that known ahead of time that anyone violating their contracts will not play the rest of the season and playoffs.  Period.  You cannot violate your contract in that way. 

But yes, the IIHF wont allow it which is why guys like the Caps owner can kiss up to fans and players when he should be showing a unified front with his fellow owners.

He's kissing up to Ovi. He should be kissing up to the fans, as all the players and owners should. He's not kissing up to players. I doubt the Ovi's teammates will be pleased to see him go for a long stretch, while they're fighting for playoff position next year. Also, there are a few players that would also like to be going, I'm sure.

We may have seen the end of Ovi in the NHL, if they suspend him for more than a few games (after he gets back).

Ovi is under contract to 2021.  He could retire.  But he's not throwing away his contract over the Olympics.  And you made a great point.  Its one thing for the stars to go to the Olympics while the lesser stars go to Mexico for three weeks.  But Ovi and a few chosen ones go to the Olympics and the other guys stay and battle?  That would play right into the leagues hands as far as their divide and conquer tactic with the players.

Has any media asked Ovi "what are you willing to give to go to the Olympics?"  Because thats the question.  Everyone is taking his sound byte, but what are the players willing to give?  They have contracts.  They want to opt out for three weeks at a critical time to go play for someone else.  Doesnt work that way. 

Not a fan of walsh

he says the owners are creating a poisonous atmosphere by not letting players go. But you could write a headline that says players are creating poisonous atmosphere by refusing to discuss going. 

Walsh is asked about the benefit to the owners and he says "growth" and is then asked to quantify it and he talks about memories. 

Man these guys are out to lunch. They're not even speaking the same language.  It's  no wonder guys like Wayne and Mario had a different perspective once they became owners.