Curling

bearpants

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Amen to Bobby I calling it........sickens me watching a Gapper skip Manitoba's entry into the Scotties, but love that an also-ran team that curls mostly around Manitoba, and is not one of the contenders on the mighty WCT, is destroying teams at the national Scotties. Says a lot about the depth in our province, and once again, that curling is our game.

Trying not to turn this into a curling thread... but I thought it was strange that someone from the gine would come to Manitoba to curl... considering the depth here is significantly better than in Sask... but the rest of the team is Manitoban... and I'll always cheer for the Bison at the Scotties/Brier... 

Mod Edit:  This topic was split off from the Bomber Discussion

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, bearpants said:

Trying not to turn this into a curling thread... but I thought it was strange that someone from the gine would come to Manitoba to curl... considering the depth here is significantly better than in Sask... but the rest of the team is Manitoban... and I'll always cheer for the Bison at the Scotties/Brier... 

Tis the way of the game now.....Jonesy lives in Ontario now.

7 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Bringing it back to football... she's a Rider season ticket holder.

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Last year there was 3 Manitoban skips at the Scotties... Chelsea Carey for Alta, Jones for Canada and Kerri Einerson for MB...

I'm a  big fan of CC, and was making a big point of cheering for "Team Manitoba 2" last year through the Scotties, which pissed off my Alberta friends to no end. Now I'm getting my comeuppance with Englot skipping Manitoba...ugh. The upside for me is that my hometown of Pinawa is being represented by Leslie Wilson of Team MB, who now lives there and coaches the junior curling program in town. So.....I've got that to cling to....

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

PS -- If an admin with the capabilities would like to separate all this curling talk into a Gen Forum thread, that'd be excellent. I thought of starting one there, but honestly didn't think there'd be enough interest....

That never stopped old Nasty Nate from starting threads back in the day. 

I'm pretty rabid about it...watch pretty much all the Slam events on Sportsnet, and playdown season is a yearly highlight for me. Curling is up there with CFL for the most important sport in my life. Hockey, baseball, and golf are all great TV diversions, too, but curling is huge for me.

As mentioned, the Gapper Englot-skips-Toba thing has me pretty twisted up, but I'm happy for Pinawa's Leslie Wilson. Between the 3 actual Bisons and Chelsea on TC, we've got a full 4 curlers there, so I'll take it. Homan's rink has looked sleepy all week, and who can blame 'em with such a weak field. Pretty easy to sleepwalk through that. I'm expecting a much tougher game (in fact, could be a reverse ass-kicking) tonight in the 1/2 game.

Next month's Brier should be a fun one, too. It'll be Douchue's to lose, but Jacobs is always in the hunt, Morris might be a playoff team outta BC, and you just never know with McEwen. He was an almost-unbeatable team before Broom-gate, but they just haven't been the same since. Should be a playoff team, but after that...? Who knows....

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm pretty rabid about it...watch pretty much all the Slam events on Sportsnet, and playdown season is a yearly highlight for me. Curling is up there with CFL for the most important sport in my life. Hockey, baseball, and golf are all great TV diversions, too, but cur

Football / hockey would have to be my number 1/ 2 (winter / summer deciding which is 1 and 2) but I do play every Thursday night, so when I see curling on TV, I will usually leave it on for at least background noise.

I've actually been surprised a who well Englot has played in the Scotties.   Reading the articles of her coming out of Manitoba, it just sounded like Jones had a bad day.  But Englot has far surpassed expectations.

Jones is 42, can't have that many more years left in the tank.

Yeah, Jones is just about done...be curious to see how long that incarnation of the team sticks together. Chelsea moved to AB to avoid Jones in playdowns every year, but she'll move back as soon as she has a decent opportunity.

It's nothing short of shocking that Englot has done as well as she has. She's 14th on the Order of Merit, and not a regular on the big money tour. They curl a few events here and there, but certainly aren't regulars competing against Jones, Homan, Carey, Sweeting, etc....but, any team can get hot at the right time and make a run. That really is the beauty of the sport...

Any one can beat anyone but this Scotties field is absolutely awful outside of a couple teams. I swear to god the BC skip yesterday had a game where she was like 30% on hits! I have to wonder, how long do we continue with this kind of format with such an imbalance in teams and one of the top teams in the world sitting on the sidelines cause they had a bad weekend at provincials?

Curling fans coming out of the closet.

First off Ontario has 2 teams?!? Northern Ontario is not a province or territory!

Next year i believe the Brier will have some spots reserved for the Grand Slam(?) leaders so maybe the Scotties should do same.

When will Homan smile BTW?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Re: Format.... 

Changing next year for both Scotties and Brier. 16 team field, 2 pools. It'll look more like a Slam event in that regard. They really want to get all the territories involved. Still haven't figured out what #16 will be, but likely ends up being top CTRS team that didn't win playdowns (eg Jones this year, Homan last year) 

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Re: Format.... 

Changing next year for both Scotties and Brier. 16 team field, 2 pools. It'll look more like a Slam event in that regard. They really want to get all the territories involved. Still haven't figured out what #16 will be, but likely ends up being top CTRS team that didn't win playdowns (eg Jones this year, Homan last year) 

Which is a good start, but we're still facing the problem of having a lot of awful teams from provinces with craptastic teams to send. 

If there is one thing I (re-) learned this year, it's that I have zero interest in watching crappy women's teams pretend to curl. I watched no fewer than 3 NWT games, and while I appreciate that Koe chick trying to get better and the fact that she can smack ryes back like a champ, I have no interest in watching her on TV. I want to see curlers who at least know what the **** they're doing. Last night's MB/Ont game was about as good as it gets in women's curling...