Curling

bearpants

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

All I want is to watch good teams curl. Zero interest in watching Nunavut lose 33-1 in 6...

This isn't a WCT event. It's the Canadian championship. Viewership will always be high even with some weaker provinces in there. I think you need every province in the Scotties & Brier to help grow the game in these weaker provinces. The provincial curling associations in these places have to figure things out.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The biggest mistake would be preventing so called "bad curling provinces from the Scotties & Brier. How do you grow the game in those provinces?? Well, by not letting them play in our 2 major national championships.

They've been in the national championships for ever already and it hasn't done anything. The good provinces are still the good provinces and the shitty ones still shitty. Better to showcase the best of the best cause watching teams get outclassed doesn't grow the game at all

I would be just as happy with Top 10 teams in the country based on ctrs points, with only one per province, then one extra thats the highest ctrs that didn't make it through playdowns for whatever reason. 11 teams as now but higher quality because they're teams who tour regularly.

Was a great game. About the best women's game I've seen in years. Was actually well played and not just the team who missed the least amount of shots. Englot made a stellar draw with her last stone and forced Homan to make a dandy, which she did. It's all you can ask for... 

22 hours ago, Noeller said:

Was a great game. About the best women's game I've seen in years. Was actually well played and not just the team who missed the least amount of shots. Englot made a stellar draw with her last stone and forced Homan to make a dandy, which she did. It's all you can ask for... 

I try not to be sexist about sports... but I've watched far too many women's curling matches where the winner was the team that missed the least (as you said above)... as opposed to men's where the winner is typically the team that makes the most... sorry if that offends some but to me that is the reality right now... of course, I do believe there will come a day when that changes

for the record, yes I have seen MANY fantastic shots from female curlers... shots I could never even dream of making... but I still find the men's game to be superior in almost every way (save for the looks of the curlers)...

And it's not even something that is a result of men being stronger or any of that if you ask me. To me the biggest difference is that the mens field is a deeper and tougher field to excel in so they  have to be at that level to compete where as you can compete on the womens field at a lower level. Curling is one of those sports that really is all about the practise. The more you throw the more consistency you have and I just don't think there is that same level of commitment on the womens side that there is on the mens side and that really does come from teams like Kevin Martin being so dominant not too long ago. It forced everyone else to up their game to that kind of level. There hasn't been that force in the women's game. I mean Jones was pretty dominant for a while but even that team had a nasty habit of having a stretch during any given tournament where they didn't know what they were doing. Homan was pretty dominant for a while but they too have lost some of that consistency. It's just a different level of competition. 

The only place where strength comes into play is sweeping... I dated a curler (she was active on the circuit) many moons ago and she once told me while playing in a fun bonspeil that me and my friend.... let's call him Kevin (because that is his name).... with very limited experience, swept just as well as high end female curlers...

Opening thoughts on the Brier:

- My rankings coming in:
1) Koe - Canada
2) Jacobs - Northern Ont
3) Gushue - Newf/Lab
4) McEwen - MB
5) Morris - BC
6) Howard - Ont
7-12) a bunch of teams that don't have a chance

- McEwen means business this year... they're not just "happy to be there"
- I'm continually amazed at how good of a shot maker Brad Gushue is... this year is not a good example b/c he has a pretty good team... but the rest of his team could be shooting 3% and he'd still be in one point games
- a lot of up and down from Morris' BC rink... still not sure what to think of them... should be interesting to see which of the top 5 misses playoffs
- I haven't had a chance to watch Jacobs yet... I'll have to keep an eye on the upcoming Schedule... they are usually a fun team to watch...

-Koe massively overrated...not as good, IMO, as Jacobs, McEwen and (sometimes) Douchue.

-On any given day, one of Jacobs, Douchue and McEwen can and should win this event
-Douchue has won exactly 0 Briers, for all the free trips he's been given to the event. Only real thing he's ever won is Oly Trials, and that was with Russ Howard holding his hand and continually talking him out of stupid ****. There is a really legitimate chance he doesn't even make playoffs in his hometown Brier...unreal.

-I'm hoping the final is Mike vs The Juice Monkeys, but we'll see how the week plays out. McEwen's team played like **** for 5 ends this morning and pulled one outta their ass because it was New Brunswick...anyone else, and that'd be over in 8.

-Glennard was done 5 years ago...it's just sad watching the poor bastard out there now. Shoulda been Epping repping Ontario...

Yeah I agree that Koe team is pretty over rated, they're still a very good team no question but I think the younger teams are hungrier at this point. Gushue is also massively over rated because of that Howard led Olympic run. Still good because he's got tons of unearned Brier experience but honestly to me it's McEwen and Jacobs should be the top teams there. Maybe Morris and Cotter can make a run of some kind but the pair of them are crazier than a bag of cats and their heads may or may not be in the right place. 

so yeah there's 5 teams that have a shot but in reality it'll be an upset if it's not mcewen, jacobs or koe in my mind.