Game Day Chat Room

Rich

Do you want to see the chat room replaced?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see the chat room replaced?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care - I don't use it

I voted no. I use the chat room for away games and will likely use it during free agency and draft. Never use it for home games as I am at the game. However, I wouldn't be upset if you took it away, I could always use the GDT.  Only thing that bothers me there is all the gifs that slow down the thread.

I wouldn't suggest the owners of the site do this but...

Maybe someone could host a stream of the game with chat hosted externally and locked down privately for invite only.     The chat transcript could be saved and linked on the main site later?   I believe Youtube and Facebook can do this?

I've seen it done for NHL and UFC already....

4 hours ago, Rich said:

There has been enough interest that I will for sure investigate and experiment with some alternatives. 

Current chat goes away at the end of April, so will need something setup for the draft. 

Thank goodness, I was worried we wouldn't have a chat for the CFL week in March 2017..

In all seriousness though, I enjoy the chat function, as others have mentioned I too only use it exclusively for away games, since I attend home games. If the new cost model/system is based on a per-use basis, maybe consider only having it for 11 games for the regular season (Preseason + 9 away games + LDC)? That might help keep costs down.

I prefer a game day thread.

For different reasons, I usually record the games and watch when able, but I found that in chat, I would find they kicked a FG..before I actually saw them kick a FG.. I wasn't in sync with game time action. So, it's no use me cheering a TD when they're already kicking a convert. 

Also, I find there is less discussion about the game after discussed in chat..and no record of what was discussed.

Somehow, it makes the game seem less important? and the board interest seems lacking...visually.

Instantaneous reaction in chat is an attraction and interesting, it just doesn't work for me.

I float in and out of wherever the discussion is during the game, whether it's a thread or chat. Found myself leaving the chat room a lot though because the ignore feature doesn't work in there, and I'd get driven out by the crap I don't want to read. So in some ways prefer a game day thread because the few users I don't want to hear from I don't see and can enjoy the rest of the discussion.

So I'll still be here either way whether it's a GDT or chat room.

I know this isn't everyone's thoughts, but the overall theme I'm seeing is that those who use the chat room really like it, those that don't prefer the game day thread, many so they can re-read the thread after the game.  

I don't really want to take away the chat room for those who like it for the sole purpose of others reading the game day thread after.  

As for posting chat logs, I think the post below summed it up nicely and why I don't think posting logs would give people what they are looking for.  You get a lot of things in chat that make no sense unless you are in the moment watching the game.

16 hours ago, do or die said:

Different animals anyways........Reactions (Chat) vs Analysis (GDT, PGT)

Was poking around some alternatives yesterday and came across a new addon from a 3rd party that looks the most promising so far.  Because it is an addon, it would integrate seamlessly into the board.  The current version actually looks remarkably like the old chat.  

Don't want to get people's hopes up too much here because you never know how or when these things get released, but he is trying to get version 3 complete in time for when the old chat room is shut down.  

Version 3 looks pretty slick.  It includes things like the ability to ignore users, media embeds - pictures / videos (they come up hidden in a “spoiler” type of wrapper where you have to click it to view them so the chat doesn’t get spammed), ability to quote other people’s chats, multiple rooms, private chats, etc.

Some of the comments have been if the current chat was done like this it wouldn't need to be shutdown because more people would use it.

I would really hate to see it go even though Frosty and I are the only ones who use it during Jets season, and usually during Bomber games my posts get lost in a sea of posts, if there is a decent replacement I will use it. but then again I'm sure my posts will be seen more during the GD threads

On 1/29/2017 at 0:52 PM, Mr Dee said:

I prefer a game day thread.

For different reasons, I usually record the games and watch when able, but I found that in chat, I would find they kicked a FG..before I actually saw them kick a FG.. I wasn't in sync with game time action. So, it's no use me cheering a TD when they're already kicking a convert. 

Also, I find there is less discussion about the game after discussed in chat..and no record of what was discussed.

Somehow, it makes the game seem less important? and the board interest seems lacking...visually.

Instantaneous reaction in chat is an attraction and interesting, it just doesn't work for me.

I agree, once the game starts this board becomes as quiet as a morgue and often doesn't pick up for a couple of hours afterwards as everyone in chat has already exhausted their opinions.