Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

He would have been the leader now if he had just stayed in the party IMHO.

If he hangs around for a while longer, he could still be the leader. O'Toole does not foam at the mouth enough to suit many PC-Reform party members, and if he has any integrity at all, he will bail within the next year after spending most of his time and energy restraining the loons. That sort of thing wears a body down.

Edited by Tracker

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole-activists-canada-day-1.6076752

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole said today he's troubled by the cancellation of Canada Day celebrations in some municipalities and accused "a small group of activist voices" of continually talking down the country rather than acknowledging its many successes.

In a speech at the final Conservative caucus meeting before the House of Commons goes on its summer break, O'Toole said that while Canada's history is littered with injustice and wrongdoing, that doesn't justify cancelling the nation's birthday — a time to give thanks for "living in the greatest country in the world."

O'Toole said the recent Kamloops residential school discovery is "very troubling" and "dreadful." He called it evidence of the "grave injustices" committed against Indigenous peoples.

But the reported discovery of these remains shouldn't lead cities like Victoria, Penticton, B.C. and La Ronge, Sask. to do away with July 1 festivities altogether, O'Toole said.

"I can't stay silent when people want to cancel Canada Day. I'm very proud to be Canadian and I know most people are as well," he said.

"We are not a perfect country. No country is. There is no place on this planet whose history can withstand close scrutiny. But there is a difference between acknowledging where we've fallen short and always tearing the country down."

He said July 1 should be a day when citizens "rededicate" themselves to Canada and "tackle the challenges and inequalities that our country faces. It's time to build Canada up."

O'Toole sought to link the municipal cancellations to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. He accused the Liberal government of standing by silently while some cities do away with planned celebrations. "Who is asking Canadians whether they want Canada Day to be cancelled?" O'Toole said.

This clown. He should find more productive things to do as leader of the opposition than blow his dog whistle and meddle in municipal gov't decisions.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This clown. He should find more productive things to do as leader of the opposition than blow his dog whistle and meddle in municipal gov't decisions.

yeah but the base is so crazy that if they don't hear the dog whistle all the time they'll find someone willing to blow that whistle. 

37 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

yeah but the base is so crazy that if they don't hear the dog whistle all the time they'll find someone willing to blow that whistle. 

how long till those folks jump over to Mad Max, and the right gets split hard?

4 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He has nothing else to kvetch about, and attacking anything that sounds even vaguely unpatriotic and completely inane will be applauded by his base.

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

He has nothing else to kvetch about, and attacking anything that sounds even vaguely unpatriotic and completely inane will be applauded by his base.

Maybe when Canada comes clean and actually puts in an effort to right the wrongs of the past people will gladly celebrate it.

10 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Which is absolutely hilarious - if one has actually read about St. Peter. 

dont know anything about this person, looked at wiki, still dont.

what things make it funny? . other than his name being Simon. (simon says.....)

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

dont know anything about this person, looked at wiki, still dont.

what things make it funny? . other than his name being Simon. (simon says.....)

It is believed that the Pope is infallible because each Pope is a reincarnation of the biblical St. Peter (the Apostle)

But Peter was a rather fallible human...made mistakes just like the rest of us 

27 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It is believed that the Pope is infallible

I knew a family, catholics, mother got ill, somehow they got one of the pope's little skull caps sent to her, and believed that it enabled her to recover. nineteen fifties. 

even though a child this made no sense to me.

Edited by Mark F

Open question for the forum, and please let’s keep hostility to a minimum if we can, recognizing that this is a charged issue. Should we “cancel” Canada Day celebrations and spend the day in mourning/reflection/penance for the indigenous children lost to the residential school system? I honestly am not sure how I feel about it, and am looking for thoughtful opinions. Of course we must make amends for the sins of the past, but is this the way? Am I now obligated to wallow in shame for living in a country I have always been proud to call my home, and not celebrate my nation anymore for what it has given me because of what it has taken from others? Should I wear that guilt? Is it about guilt? And does a boycott do anything productive, or is it hollow? As a Caucasian, I would love feedback to help educate myself on this issue. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Open question for the forum, and please let’s keep hostility to a minimum if we can, recognizing that this is a charged issue. Should we “cancel” Canada Day celebrations and spend the day in mourning/reflection/penance for the indigenous children lost to the residential school system? I honestly am not sure how I feel about it, and am looking for thoughtful opinions. Of course we must make amends for the sins of the past, but is this the way? Am I now obligated to wallow in shame for living in a country I have always been proud to call my home, and not celebrate my nation anymore for what it has given me because of what it has taken from others? Should I wear that guilt? Is it about guilt? And does a boycott do anything productive, or is it hollow? As a Caucasian, I would love feedback to help educate myself on this issue. 

I think the vast majority of people simply consider Canada Day a day off with fireworks at the end and few even consider that it is the anniversary of confederation.  If I were to guess, the people who appreciate it most are immigrants and refugees and the one's who say they appreciate it most are racist nationalists like CanadaProud, OntarioProud, AlbertaProud etc. etc.

Below is the best advice I've seen:

An extremely gracious and thoughtful response from Cowessess First Nation Chief Cadmus Delorme on The National last night, when CBC host Ian Hanomansing asked what his message is to Canadians:

"From a First Nation perspective, I love living in Canada. I went to university, I grew up on Cowessess, I have the best job I think I ever wanted, being chief. It's not an easy task. But there is an accidental racism and ignorance in this country when it comes to history. You know, Indigenous people - and I'm speaking from Cowessess perspective - we don't want to live in our current state. We want to be part of the economy. We want to be part of the growth... the social lives.
Sometimes in this country, being Indigenous, it's as if you gotta prove yourself a little more. You're so used seeing maybe, someone asking for change and being Indigenous... you know, there's a story behind every one, of the history that we inherited. So my comment to everybody listening is, from Cowessess, we're not asking for pity. We're asking for understanding. We're asking that you stand beside us, that as we are gaining our control again - as Indigenous people - in our Treaty relationship, that we have better understanding. That our kids going to school understand the impact that residential school made, but also even pre... what great economy Indigenous people had prior to Treaty. This country would be so much more well-off, when Indigenous ideology and understanding is welcomed in, and not just brought in on certain days of the year.
(On the debate over whether to cancel Canada Day)
I would never tell somebody what to and what not to celebrate. You know, in 2021, we all inherited this. Nobody today created residential schools. Nobody today created the Indian Act. Nobody today created the Sixties Scoop. But we all inherited this. And if we want to say we're proud Canadians, then we will accept the beautiful country we have today, and we will accept what we all inherited. And what I would challenge is: Everybody on Canada Day in this country, if you say you're a proud Canadian, read the Truth and Reconciliation 'Calls to Action.' Over 100,000 residential school survivors told their story - including my parents - and they created the Truth and Reconciliation 'Calls to Action.' Bring that into your personal life, your social life, your business life. And read the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls 'Calls to Action.' There's 231 Calls to Action. If we can all own those a little bit in this country, in one generation we would overcome so many challenges today, that our next generation won't inherit this. We will make them more as Dreamers."