Canadian Politics

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I am curious as to why she is trying really hard to distance herself from the story. There seems to be more here at play.

I don’t think she is trying to distance herself. It happened in 2000. She works for a federally regulated industry (so potentially she fears backlash) but she could just have moved on.  If she comes forward she knows it will be a media circus. Who would want that?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-mr-trudeaus-negative-interaction/

It was Mr. Trudeau, you may recall, who suspended two Liberal MPs from caucus in 2014 on the basis of unproven misconduct allegations. He also banished Kent Hehr from cabinet for inappropriate comments of some kind. “The fact that we have no tolerance for this – that we will not brush things under the rug, but we will take action on it immediately – is part of the modelling that we hope to see ... throughout work forces and workplaces in Canada,” he told The Canadian Press. As for himself, he told the CBC: “I’ve been very, very careful all my life to be thoughtful, to be respectful of people’s space and people’s headspace as well.”

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-mr-trudeaus-negative-interaction/

It was Mr. Trudeau, you may recall, who suspended two Liberal MPs from caucus in 2014 on the basis of unproven misconduct allegations. He also banished Kent Hehr from cabinet for inappropriate comments of some kind. “The fact that we have no tolerance for this – that we will not brush things under the rug, but we will take action on it immediately – is part of the modelling that we hope to see ... throughout work forces and workplaces in Canada,” he told The Canadian Press. As for himself, he told the CBC: “I’ve been very, very careful all my life to be thoughtful, to be respectful of people’s space and people’s headspace as well.”

Did he ever banish/fire/demand the resignation of anyone who was out of office during the transgression? Honest question- makes a difference.

13 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I didn't realize you had a made up conversation to support your point. That changes everything.

Whether Trudeau was a private citizen or politician, it shouldn't matter as sexual assault is sexual assault. I think that is TUP's position & if it is I agree. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Whether Trudeau was a private citizen or politician, it shouldn't matter as sexual assault is sexual assault. I think that is TUP's position & if it is I agree. 

Yes, Im not even sure what "made up conversation" meant other then an extremely partisan attempt to play silly word games.

"You groped me"

"Im sorry for that"

Ohhh he didnt apologize for groping, it was for something else. lol  Come on.  Its true we dont know what he did specifically but whatever it was, was enough to cause the victim to be upset enough about to report it to her superiors and complain, write a letter and receive an apology.  The apology is especially damning.  Imagine it was Trump...people who are Liberal supporters cant give their guy a pass when they wouldnt do the same for a right wing politician. 

And the apology is damning because it implies being "forward" is the norm for JT and that he's only regretful because it was a national media person.  If it was some random girl at beerfest, have at 'er. 

JT claims he remembers the day very well but does not recall any "negative" incidents.  The media didnt bother to follow up with "then what did you apologize for?" 

Realistically, my personal opinion is, it was a long time ago and shouldn't cost him his job.  But he made it worse by lying about it and its fair to judge him the way he judges others.  Had he admitted to it, apologized, said he's learned and grown from it, then he'd still be judged as a hypocrite, but thats that.  Either way, he's going to be judged, now it's a liar with something to hide rather then a guy like many others who made a mistake and moved on.

Look what Wab did and he's been fine. 

If Kent Hehr can be thrown out of cabinet for saying inappropriate things to women then a grope should be resign worthy.  Making 2 federal Liberal MP's resign from caucus for sexual misbehaviour.  All the while claiming to be standing up for women. That's the standards Trudeau has set & he should be forced to live by that. He should do the right thing & resign as Prime Minister.  I really believe Trudeau is a dead man walking going into the final year of his mandate. 

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If Kent Hehr can be thrown out of cabinet for saying inappropriate things to women then a grope should be resign worthy.  Making 2 federal Liberal MP's resign from caucus for sexual misbehaviour.  All the while claiming to be standing up for women. That's the standards Trudeau has set & he should be forced to live by that. He should do the right thing & resign as Prime Minister.  I really believe Trudeau is a dead man walking going into the final year of his mandate. 

Notice the lack of moral outrage?  Most egregious is JT's latest excuse, that men & women interpret inappropriate touching differently.  If a Conservative said that, they'd be roasted. 

On 2018-07-05 at 3:19 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

15 years later? By those standards, anyone with anything like that in their past can’t be an MP.

At point I plan to vote Conservative next election. But don’t think Scheer is going to unseat Trudeau / the Liberals 

Well the victim has come forward and issued a statement.  She does not want to discuss it further but has confirmed the incident took place as reported and that JT apologized. 

I assume she came forward because JT claimed he couldn’t remember and tried to paint her as “interpreting things differently”. 

Balls in his court. He should have been honest from the get go. Now he looks like a guy calling a victim a liar. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well the victim has come forward and issued a statement.  She does not want to discuss it further but has confirmed the incident took place as reported and that JT apologized. 

I assume she came forward because JT claimed he couldn’t remember and tried to paint her as “interpreting things differently”. 

Balls in his court. He should have been honest from the get go. Now he looks like a guy calling a victim a liar. 

You are assuming lots here. 1.  This was 18 years ago. 2. What exactly is groping? Did he touch her butt? Her shoulder? Her boobs? Her face? You dont know but ill tell you this much and you said you have worked at bars in your younger years... What ppl now consider to be groping takes place in bars across the country/world every day of the week. 

So.. Instead of jumping to conclusions.. Maybe she moved on cuz in reality it was an innocent non sexually intended gesture? Maybe he was dancing and grinded with her.. That happens nightly at bars also tho. I personally dont see the big deal here.. And neither does the woman in question so therefore its 100 percent a non issue. 

6 hours ago, Mark H. said:

15 years later? By those standards, anyone with anything like that in their past can’t be an MP.

At point I plan to vote Conservative next election. But don’t think Scheer is going to unseat Trudeau / the Liberals 

Scheer has the personality of a slab of wallpaper. I plan on voting for him but the guy has no charisma. He's a younger version of Robert Stanfield. The Underwear King. I expect Trudeau will defeat him as well. But I will vote Conservative next election. 

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

You are assuming lots here. 1.  This was 18 years ago. 2. What exactly is groping? Did he touch her butt? Her shoulder? Her boobs? Her face? You dont know but ill tell you this much and you said you have worked at bars in your younger years... What ppl now consider to be groping takes place in bars across the country/world every day of the week. 

So.. Instead of jumping to conclusions.. Maybe she moved on cuz in reality it was an innocent non sexually intended gesture? Maybe he was dancing and grinded with her.. That happens nightly at bars also tho. I personally dont see the big deal here.. And neither does the woman in question so therefore its 100 percent a non issue. 

You’re making incorrect assumptions actually. 

The victim did feel wronged which is why she reported it to superiors at the time and wrote about it and sought an apology. 

JT felt what he did was wrong since he apologized and actually admitted his actions were deliberate not an accidental brush. It’s right there in his apology. 

In my years of working in crowded bars, accidental brushes happen all the time and never have I witnessed an apology for that include “I would not have been so forward....”. 

Apply some common sense.  People don’t talk that way. 

You might not feel groping a woman is a big deal.  Sadly. But it’s not up to you or me to decide how a woman should feel when touched unwanted. As I said I’ve seen it many times  (seen men touched unwanted as well, including myself many times). 

The victim has now come forward in the wake of JT’s changing stories and attempts to brush it off and reiterated that it happened and that he apologized. 

In my mind, as a citizen it’s a dead issue because it’s her right to accept the apology in this case (non violent etc). 

However as a public figure he has to wear it and Canadians have the right to question his honesty, transparency and character.  

As well as question the partisan coverage by media outlets one of whom admits to sitting on the story and receiving millions in subsidies from this government.  

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Scheer has the personality of a slab of wallpaper. I plan on voting for him but the guy has no charisma. He's a younger version of Robert Stanfield. The Underwear King. I expect Trudeau will defeat him as well. But I will vote Conservative next election. 

He needs to stop talking about how much money Trudeau spends on toilets, play houses, etc. Honestly, Mulcair and the NDP are bringing more real issues forward than he is.  I’m sure he has a back bench MP or three who could talk about Trudeau’s cushions on his yacht. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎07 at 9:14 AM, Mark H. said:

He needs to stop talking about how much money Trudeau spends on toilets, play houses, etc. Honestly, Mulcair and the NDP are bringing more real issues forward than he is.  I’m sure he has a back bench MP or three who could talk about Trudeau’s cushions on his yacht. 

The Tories elected a leader in Scheer who also wasn't ready.  Intellectually, I'm sure he can hang with Trudeau but most Canadians don't seem impressed with him as Opposition Leader.  He doesn't talk policy & is in solidarity with Quebec dairy farmers who support Supply Management as they got him elected leader. He's seems invisible unless that's the way the Lib press is treating him. As far as the NDP goes, they will never win with a Sikh leader. He'll get some votes but he'll never be PM. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27