Canadian Politics

On 2018-03-20 at 10:27 AM, 17to85 said:

Yeah but they did a lot of their work with the finances on the backs of the GST and NAFTA which were Mulroneys babies. See here is the thing, a lot of times you don't see the true impacts of a government until they are actually out of office. The other thing that Chretien and Martin did to help them balance the books was download more costs onto the provinces. 

It's not a simple black and white issue ever with the budget. There are so many moving pieces and so many long term things that it is hard to simply look at one snap shot in time and say X did this. 

The GST impact was significant but not as significant as people believe. At the time it was implemented, Mulroney cut a 13.5% manufacturers tax. Many Manufacturers are eligible for GST rebates. 

• 1 month later...

Messy situation. 

i don’t know for sure obviously but if I had to guess I’d say the MP’s side of the story rings more true. Plus her story would be easier to check it’s validity due to the inclusion of witnesses. 

Kirkland’s position seems to be this was inappropriate for the sole reason she’s an MP and he considers it a “power imbalance”. I’m not sure that qualifies. 

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Kirkland’s position seems to be this was inappropriate for the sole reason she’s an MP and he considers it a “power imbalance”. I’m not sure that qualifies. 

When you're talking about a (former) government employee and an elected official, I think it's fair to say that's a power imbalance.

Certainly if the veteran was female and the MP male, it wouldn't even be a question.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

When you're talking about a (former) government employee and an elected official, I think it's fair to say that's a power imbalance.

Certainly if the veteran was female and the MP male, it wouldn't even be a question.

Maybe....Im not so sure.  You could be right and perhaps the gender reversal is clouding my judgement.  If the roles were released, we'd be more inclined to believe the woman because thats what the recent movements have informed us.

If he felt a power imbalance because he was a soldier and her an MP and he felt she was his boss, I'd understand his feelings but I doubt it would rise to the level of criminal imbalance in the way that a employer/employee would.  Sounds like two consenting adults here.  In fact, her side of the story actually includes a remark that could be construed as improper (him kissing her).  We apply common sense to an adult relationship and we've all kissed and been kissed without reporting it as a crime. 

Kirkland perspective seems to rely on his feelings and interpretations.  The MP's seem more fact based.  Staff were around, other soldiers were around, vacation photos, email communications etc.  Unless she's batshit crazy (which, to be fair, he sort of implies), she'd be nuts to come forward with this defense if it was completely false.

I find things like this very interesting because of how two people can view the same scenario.  But you're certainly right, if the roles were reversed, it would be much harder for the male MP to defend himself.  Though I do think if he had the same evidence she claims (not proven yet), it sort of reduces this to a "yeah we dated but I kinda wish we hadnt" thing.

17 hours ago, Atomic said:

Honestly I'm not even sure what the issue is here.  Sounds like a typical relationship.  Even with a power imbalance that's not necessarily wrong.  Maybe I am missing some details.

He's saying she was stalking him.  His use of "im not saying I was raped...", he seems like he's blowing something up to screw with her.  She says they were in a relationship.  Seems like a personal matter to me.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Absolutely incredible how horribly Trudeau and the Liberals have bungled this.

Unbelievable

As an added incentive for a future private-sector buyer, the Trudeau government is also promising to guarantee a rate of return for this owner if the legal battle over the expansion thwarts the project.

12 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Absolutely incredible how horribly Trudeau and the Liberals have bungled this.

Not crazy about this. Still got to pay someone to build it.

but how did the Feds blow it? BC has a right to say no and take it to the Supreme Court. What the Feds should be doing is front lining this to the SC. AB/BC/Feds all want that.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Any investments by the Federal Liberal government  in renewables?

so far nothing that I've seen.

Maybe I missed it.

Since that' s where all the new investment is going in the rest of the world, might be worth considering.

At least also build a friking &6%$#9i*&())  refinery in Alberta.  

I'll tell you why this is not mentioned by the Oil companies and their assistants in government.

Refinery = one of the control buttons for the price of gas.

2018 . Canada still "hewers of wood, and drawers of water"

Edited by Mark F

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

but how did the Feds blow it? BC has a right to say no and take it to the Supreme Court. What the Feds should be doing is front lining this to the SC. AB/BC/Feds all want that.

Federal jurisdiction, pipeline has been approved, BC really doesn't have the right to say no. What BC has done is added to the burden of all Canadian taxpayers and they've sent out another sign that Canada is a poor place to invest.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Federal jurisdiction, pipeline has been approved, BC really doesn't have the right to say no. What BC has done is added to the burden of all Canadian taxpayers and they've sent out another sign that Canada is a poor place to invest.

Horgan dragged the rest of the country in & now we are on the hook for a minimum of $4.5 billion & probably a lot more. This was approved by the NEB & it went through a vigorous regulatory process. And the guy says he'll continue to waste BC taxpayers money with more ridiculous court cases. I'd love it if he & his province were faced with the spectre of having to pay back the $4.5 billion or more if they lost another court case. Then, you'd see him back off real fast. But things don't happen like that, I guess. 

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Frosty, you really need to be a lot more informed before you say something like this. BC does not have the right. The pipeline is federal jurisdiction not provincial. It has been approved. There have been 17 separate court cases trying to assert aboriginal as well as provincial rights to stop the pipeline & they have lost every one. 

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

The only good thing about this mess... Les Quebecois are helping to pay for it. 

Watch, SNC Lavalin will run this project for the Libs & money will go back to Quebec. They killed Energy East & Quebec will still get it's share & more. Trudeau & Morneau will see to that.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Watch, SNC Lavalin will run this project for the Libs & money will go back to Quebec. They killed Energy East & Quebec will still get it's share & more. Trudeau & Morneau will see to that.

Is SNC Lavalin still a going concern?

I fear a public works project. 

This article pretty much nails it, IMO: http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/guest-column-trudeau-made-a-colossal-mistake-with-the-pipeline

The last line is pure gold:

The only way the federal government could screw this up worse is if they start paying their new pipeline workers through its disastrous Phoenix payroll system.

And a sticking point for me as a Manitoban: Ottawa can spend $4.5 on this project but not put a cent into getting the situation in Churchill fixed. For shame.

22 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

BC has lost every challenge against it, they know that they won't win any case because it's already been approved and it's federal jurisdiction. The entire play by BC was obstruct for long enough that Kinder Morgan pulled out. Rather than wielding any power to slap BC back into line though the Liberals allowed it to get to the point where suddenly we are on the hook as taxpayers for the thing. Which I would be much more OK with if the government would just build it and run it as a crown corporation, but no, that's not the plan, the plan is to build it then sell it back. So basically it's corporate welfare. Government takes all the risks and then who ever buys the pipeline gets all the profit. The very second the government started talking about getting involved financially Kinder Morgan jumped at the chance and now we tax payers are paying for their project. Liberals bungled this massively simply because they were afraid of losing votes in BC if they were to do anything to put them in their place. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Frosty, you really need to be a lot more informed before you say something like this. BC does not have the right. The pipeline is federal jurisdiction not provincial. It has been approved. There have been 17 separate court cases trying to assert aboriginal as well as provincial rights to stop the pipeline & they have lost every one. 

BC has got the right to challenge this. They might legally be in the wrong according to most but they can still take it to court and the Supreme Court is the last stop. Horgan's not gonna say as long as he got the votes behind him.

Heck Sask is doing same thing with the federal carbon tax. Where are thou on that one Speedy?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

BC has got the right to challenge this. They might legally be in the wrong according to most but they can still take it to court and the Supreme Court is the last stop. Horgan's not gonna say as long as he got the votes behind him.

Heck Sask is doing same thing with the federal carbon tax. Where are thou on that one Speedy?

Everybody has the right but it's a waste of taxpayer's money. Money that could be directed into social programs, health, infrastructure & education in BC is being thrown away to pay lawyers. You okay with that? Horgan has an unlimited amount of $$$ he can use but it isn't his. It's the taxpayers money not that it ever stopped politicians before. As far as Scott Moe goes in SK regarding his carbon tax fight with the feds, he'll lose as well. The difference is one is a national infrastructure program that got federal approval by the NEB to build a pipeline. The other is a province wanting to not have a carbon tax imposed on them by Ottawa. You can't compare the two. No province in Canadian history has ever opposed a federally approved infrastructure program before. 

The thing that gets me is that the politicians in BC have flat out admitted that winning their court cases aren't the goal. They are totally OK just pissing away tax payer money on doomed challenges AND harming the countries reputation for investment, and now wasting more tax payer money since the federal government has picked up the tab for the project. 

It's just stupid and really shows how out of touch parts of BC are with the real world. 

20 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

on behalf of the people of BC I apologize.  The government we have now in place did not win the election and is representing a minority of the electorate that is radical and can't do math.  BC is such a screwed up place.  If the Conservatives had had the brains to not run a candidate in the riding of Comox none of this would be happening right now.