Canadian Politics

10 hours ago, Rod Black said:

What on earth could the leader of the Opposition be referencing about the Prime Minister?   https://twitter.com/arigoldkind/status/1664031224451547136?s=61&t=_stQ2xKaj3IiEFd7rNK7jg 

The leader of the Opposition is a conspiracy theorist.  Best to ignore him or anyone repeating his conspiracies.

14 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The leader of the Opposition is a conspiracy theorist.  Best to ignore him or anyone repeating his conspiracies.

Conspiratorial? There are public records to show that this reference is not a conspiracy. 

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Conspiratorial? There are public records to show that this reference is not a conspiracy. 

There are not.

Let's talk about Jeff Ballingall, who PeePee has hired hired to "work" for him.  Jeff Ballingall of Canada Proud and all the other BSProud "groups".

Conspiracies are their strategy.

The non-profit news organization PressProgress has criticized the “Proud” groups for promoting false information and other conduct.

In 2020, PressProgress reported how BC Proud asked its Facebook followers if the “police did the right thing” in during the incident leading to the police officer involved shooting death in New Brunswick of 26 year-old indigenous woman Chantel Moore.8

In 2020, PressProgress reported that Canada Proud was falsely claiming that the federal government had banned Remembrance Day ceremonies.9

In 2021, PressProgress reported of Canada Proud claimed that COVID-19 vaccines were being distributed according to “skin colour.”10

Like I said, best to ignore people who share and promote the conspiracies.

https://www.desmog.com/canada-proud/

12 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

There are not.

Let's talk about Jeff Ballingall, who PeePee has hired hired to "work" for him.  Jeff Ballingall of Canada Proud and all the other BSProud "groups".

Conspiracies are their strategy.

The non-profit news organization PressProgress has criticized the “Proud” groups for promoting false information and other conduct.

In 2020, PressProgress reported how BC Proud asked its Facebook followers if the “police did the right thing” in during the incident leading to the police officer involved shooting death in New Brunswick of 26 year-old indigenous woman Chantel Moore.8

In 2020, PressProgress reported that Canada Proud was falsely claiming that the federal government had banned Remembrance Day ceremonies.9

In 2021, PressProgress reported of Canada Proud claimed that COVID-19 vaccines were being distributed according to “skin colour.”10

Like I said, best to ignore people who share and promote the conspiracies.

https://www.desmog.com/canada-proud/

There most certainly is public record that Trudeau left the private academy abruptly mid term, and public record that in 7 different interviews he gave 7 different answers as to why. It is not conspiratorial at all to raise any questions about why that is. It seems Trudeau has a deep seeded aversion to transparency that stems from even before he was in politics. I wonder if Gerald Butts was already working for him then?

Edited by GCn20

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trudeau-sex-scandal-school/

Conclusion

No publicly available evidence supports any claim that Trudeau had a sexual relationship with either a student or a student's mother while he was a teacher at West Point Grey Academy between 1998 and 2001, nor that such an episode contributed to his departure from the school's teaching staff.

The reports and social media posts which made that claim either did not cite any sources or cited only anonymous and unspecified sources. Furthermore, Trudeau has given plausible explanations for his departure which do not involve any sex scandal, namely that he was disillusioned with school administrators' conservative approach to certain policies and that he simply wanted to move on in his career -- two different but not contradictory reasons.

That Trudeau's departure from the school had nothing to do with any sex scandal was corroborated by a statement issued in October 2019 by the school's principal during the period in question.

Furthermore, no publicly available evidence supports the claim that Trudeau or his representatives have endeavored to suppress or cover up the supposed sex scandal. The fact that in October 2019, Canadian reporters made public their investigations and inquiries into the rumors actually undermines the credibility of the claims, since no reporting has yet emerged which would corroborate the allegations against Trudeau.

The "sex scandal" claims appear to be no more than gossip and unsubstantiated rumor, published only two weeks before Canada's 2019 federal election, but we cannot definitively dismiss this particular set of allegations against Trudeau. Because the claims have been so vague and lacking in factual specifics (no names, dates, places, or firsthand accounts have been published) it has not yet been possible to test their credibility and therefore not possible to either corroborate or refute them. If that changes, we will update this fact check accordingly.

Oh.

Embarrassing tinfoil hattery.

9 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Tinfoil hattery is implying that was what Poilievre was referring to. FACT: JT left his job abruptly and without notice in the middle of the final term

FACT: In 7 different articles by journalists he is quoted giving 7 different responses as to why.

CONSPIRACY THEORY: That he left mid term because of sex scandal

CONSPIRACY THEORY: The the CPC planted this rumor 

CONSPIRACY THEORY: That PP was referencing the sex scandal in his remarks in parliament.

PP was referencing the mysterious circumstances, and varying answers by Trudeau himself, as to why his teaching career suddenly crashed and burned. Only a conspiracy nut would think PP was referencing any more than that as it most certainly is NOT what he said, nor is there any proof that is what he was implying. Conspiracy theories work both ways.

It is embarrassing that some far right media seems to have concocted a wild theory, but if you don't want wild speculation out there maybe just tell the truth and quit hiding it. Trudeau, it seems is not very good at that and it was a skill acquired pre-politics.

Edited by GCn20

It’s difficult to say if Poilievre’s popularity will survive the rough and tumble of daily politics until the next election is called. (He declined repeated requests to be interviewed for this article.) But, whether or not he becomes prime minister, he is clearly tapping into a populist fervour that has been a major force around the world. Urban progressives are inclined to assume the governing consensus in Ottawa, which prioritizes their ideas of diversity and inclusion, will continue indefinitely. Poilievre’s rise challenges that. There are now two Canadas eyeing each other with reciprocal contempt.

Researchers call this affective polarization: voters with opposing ideologies harden in their views and become less tolerant and respectful of one another. It means fewer points of compromise are possible, and debates become demonizing, resentment driven, conspiracy fuelled. A key component of authoritarian populism, this polarization is now central to our political life, and Poilievre is harnessing it.

A very good article:

https://thewalrus.ca/pierre-poilievre-the-secret-to-his-success/

As for the CPC not being involved in the manufactured scandal prior to the 2019 election...

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/10/09/anatomy-of-a-manufactured-election-scandal.html

...with fake news sites pumping out the story and a nationally-televised leaders debate only hours away, the Conservative Party of Canada took an unfounded rumour and put their name on it, issuing a press release* that asked the question: Why did Trudeau leave West Point Grey?

“What’s the real reason? Why has his story changed so many times?” it asked.

While the release didn’t mention sex, it pointed the way for anyone to go online and find the unsubstantiated rumour themselves.

Asked why the Conservatives put out the release, spokesperson Simon Jefferies referred to comments leader Andrew Scheer made on Tuesday, when he said: “Like on the SNC-Lavalin scandal, (Trudeau’s) story has changed multiple times and we believe he might have used that opportunity to come clean with Canadians.”

“We’re not making insinuations, we’re just asking why he can’t keep his story (straight).”

* original link removed (to the surprise of no one) but it's still out there: https://www.deltaconservatives.com/why_did_justin_trudeau_leave_his_teaching_job_at_west_point_grey_academy

11 hours ago, Rod Black said:

What on earth could the leader of the Opposition be referencing about the Prime Minister?   https://twitter.com/arigoldkind/status/1664031224451547136?s=61&t=_stQ2xKaj3IiEFd7rNK7jg 

I don't normally dip my toes in these political threads not because I'm not engaged but because of how tribal these discussions are.  I believe that no matter which side you are on, you should govern for all people.   The "other side" isn't simply going to leave the country or go away and so we need to find middle ground and work for the betterment of society as a whole.  With that out of the way ...

I lean Liberal. I'm far from being a Trudeau fanboy - let me make that clear.  With that said, what Poilievre did here was simply gross.  It was classless.  It speaks to how incredibly small he is as a man and leader.

The fact there has never been any credible evidence, source, witness or corroboration around this supposed incident should speak volumes and yet the people who cite this baseless claim are the same people who would rail against "the mob" if any other person was "convicted" without proof.

2 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

While I lean Liberal, I'm far from being a Trudeau fanboy - let me make that clear.  With that said, what Poilievre did here was simply gross.  It was classless.  It speaks to how incredibly small he is as a man and leader.

The fact there has never been any credible evidence, source, witness or corroboration around this supposed incident should speak volumes and yet the people who cite this baseless claim are the same people who would rail against "the mob" if any other person was "convicted" without proof.

Desperate idiots who are incapable of discussing real issues or policy.

21 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

As for the CPC not being involved in the manufactured scandal prior to the 2019 election...

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/10/09/anatomy-of-a-manufactured-election-scandal.html

* original link removed (to the surprise of no one) but it's still out there: https://www.deltaconservatives.com/why_did_justin_trudeau_leave_his_teaching_job_at_west_point_grey_academy

How does this demonstrate any involvement by the CPC in the manufacturing of this scandal? That is completely false narrative, and is unfounded. One could easily define that as a conspiracy theory. In several quotes the CPC outlined the question they were asking and why. Any suggestion of another motive is pure speculation. You guys can't throw stones about made up facts, and then make them up yourselves to fit your narrative.

24 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

I don't normally dip my toes in these political threads not because I'm not engaged but because of how tribal these discussions are.  I believe that no matter which side you are on, you should govern for all people.   The "other side" isn't simply going to leave the country or go away and so we need to find middle ground and work for the betterment of society as a whole.  With that out of the way ...

I lean Liberal. I'm far from being a Trudeau fanboy - let me make that clear.  With that said, what Poilievre did here was simply gross.  It was classless.  It speaks to how incredibly small he is as a man and leader.

Seems you are caught up in the conspiracy theory being floated here that this was what PP was referencing. Unfortunate, that you have fallen victim to this disinformation campaign.

21 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Desperate idiots who are incapable of discussing real issues or policy.

Yet they will be forming government soon.

29 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

How does this demonstrate any involvement by the CPC in the manufacturing of this scandal? That is completely false narrative, and is unfounded. One could easily define that as a conspiracy theory. In several quotes the CPC outlined the question they were asking and why. Any suggestion of another motive is pure speculation. You guys can't throw stones about made up facts, and then make them up yourselves to fit your narrative.

Seems you are caught up in the conspiracy theory being floated here that this was what PP was referencing. Unfortunate, that you have fallen victim to this disinformation campaign.

Yet they will be forming government soon.

PP implies the conspiracy sex scandal in the ******* House of Commons... and your defense is that no where did the cpc manufacture the conspiracy theory.... 

That's not the issue here... if you cant see what the actual issue is here, I don't know what to tell you. 

The mental pretzel you have twisted here is pretty amazing- I hope this is more of your trolling for shits and giggles and not your actual mental acumen. 

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

I'm not saying that PP fondles children but he's never been able to get a real job, so maybe it's his criminal record? It's not a conspiracy theory because it's true that he's never been able to get a job and probably cannot get security clearance. It's not a conspiracy theory if it might be true. 

Pollievre and all the conservatives around the country hammer on the dog whistle allllll the time. Let's them say "hey I never said that" while making it abundantly clear what they actually mean. 

That people actually defend it is insane. Got such a dose of it during the AB election... people need to stop letting them get away with it and ask them to be more clear.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Pollievre and all the conservatives around the country hammer on the dog whistle allllll the time. Let's them say "hey I never said that" while making it abundantly clear what they actually mean. 

That people actually defend it is insane. Got such a dose of it during the AB election... people need to stop letting them get away with it and ask them to be more clear.

He only says it in Parliament because he has immunity from prosecution. He can say anything he wants in the Chamber without fear. He'll never say defamatory things where he could get prosecuted. 

1 minute ago, Rod Black said:

NDP motion in the HoC calling for the Special Rapporteur (?) David Johnson to step down has been passed by a score of 174 - 150. 

https://twitter.com/brianlilley/status/1663995162102562818?s=61&t=_stQ2xKaj3IiEFd7rNK7jg

Yes, and Johnston doubled down. That would have been an easy way to get out of it. The ****ing Libs can't get out of their own way. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, and Johnston doubled down. That would have been an easy way to get out of it. The ****ing Libs can't get out of their own way. 

No kidding. Jagmeet sent them a life line, that would also get him out of a bit of an optics jam himself, and they just swam away from it. Nonsensical really. This is going to be the death of their government and they seem oblivious to it.

1 minute ago, Rod Black said:

The National Post is a brain-eating disease.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/house-passes-motion-david-johnston-step-down-1.6861009

After members of Parliament voted in favour of his ouster Wednesday, David Johnston said his mandate to probe allegations of foreign interference comes from the government — not from the House of Commons.

The former governor general released a statement following the vote on a motion brought forward by the NDP, which the Conservatives and Bloc Quebecois supported while the Liberals stood opposed. It passed 174 to 150.

It called on Johnston — tasked by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau back in March with looking into allegations that China tried to meddle in the past two federal elections — to "step aside from his role."

It asked the government to instead launch a public inquiry into the issue of foreign interference. Johnston, the former governor general, recommended against such an inquiry in his initial report last week.

"When I accepted the mandate to act as independent special rapporteur, I did so with full knowledge of the fact that the work ahead would be neither straightforward nor uncontroversial," Johnston said in his statement.

"I deeply respect the right of the House of Commons to express its opinion about my work going forward, but my mandate comes the government. I have a duty to pursue that work until my mandate is completed."

"The fact of the matter is David Johnston has served this country in extraordinary capacities for decades," Trudeau said Wednesday on his way into a meeting with his Liberal caucus.

"He's taken this incredibly seriously."

Government House leader Mark Holland has said he has been trying to negotiate with opposition parties to find additional avenues to address concerns about foreign interference that go beyond what has already been offered.

Holland has repeatedly said the hyper-political rhetoric around the discussions in public has been counterproductive, but he would not elaborate on what else the government is offering.

Johnston said in his report that due to the sensitive nature of national security and the intelligence he studied, there would be no way to divulge the information Canadians are seeking publicly. He said that would defeat the purpose of a public inquiry.

He said what he plans to do instead is hold a series of public hearings to further probe the issue.

Those hearings would focus on hearing from officials of both past and current governments, as well as members of diaspora communities affected by foreign interference attempts.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has attempted to walk a fine line in promoting the motion. He has been saying that while he has no qualms with Johnston, he understands that others do and that creates an appearance of bias that taints his work.

The motion was brought forward by NDP Jenny Kwan. She recently told reporters that the Canadian Security Intelligence Service informed her she has been a target of China since before the 2019 federal vote, because of her advocacy on human rights in China.

I'm not sure what the issue is with having public hearings.

What a farce this entire series of events is.