Canadian Politics

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It wasn't that long ago you were bitching about the UCP and got mad that I pointed a finger at you for electing them... why the change of heart? Danielle Smith is many times more dangerous than Jason Kenney was so why support a batshit insane lobbyist? 

Also get ****** with the talking points about Singh. Notley is the least NDP ndp leader in this country. 

God people like you make me sick. You recognize the damage these conservative whack jobs do but then forget all about it because of their stupid commercials. 

You asked a question. I answered it. That's all I did. So calm down. Take a little blue pill & get some sleep. You need it. 

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this is completely insane and perfect encapsulates why people vote for the UCP.......good......lord. 

Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it wrong. You should know that by now. It's been like that here since the 1930's with Social Credit.  Don't get mad at the Messenger like 17to85 just did. I ******* hate Smith by the way. In 5 years my wife & I are out of here. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

To everyone who doesn't understand how Alberta works politically, well this is for you  I never said I was supporting the UCP just because I answered a question by 17to 85 in a way he didn't like. What do I get? A ******* lecture for no reason. I don't like the UCP's politics. It pisses me off that I can be accused of being some kind of disloyal piece of **** on this board because I answered a god damned political question that 99.999999999999999 ******* percent of you know the answer to. At the same time why do I have to justify anything here?????

It also pisses me off that a couple of posters sit here in judgement of others in their own little private Court of Opinion because they can't figure things out on their own. Well, my answer is if you don't like what people say at least respect their opinions & figure it out for yourselves. And if you hate living in Alberta so much then go live somewhere else. 

Alberta is the bastion of conservatism. It's been that way since the 1930's with the exception of 4 years. We all know that. So, why is there a surprise that Danielle Smith is ahead in the popular vote? She sits ar 46% which is 7th in Canada among sitting Premiers so it's nothing to be proud of. Anyone who can't figure it out is either clueless or has lived in a cave their entire ******* life, I hate the alt right as much as I hate the alt left. I'm a MOTR voter. There's nowhere to go for me. The A;berta party is a joke so I'm not voting for them.

I don't appreciate being lectured, berated & accused of being a bad person for something I never said or did. It sucks. 

Like I said in 5 years my wife & I are outta here.

36 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Alberta is the bastion of conservatism.

Then why when there are no labels on politicians does calgary keep rejecting the "conservative" choice and elects progressive mayors? 

Alberta is really not as conservative as people think in the urban areas. They just have these identity politics and hating the federal government, ie. Liberals, is so deeply ingrained in the culture they constantly vote against their best interests. 

I have no patience anymore for people who in any way shape or form justify support for these ass clowns. My kids are just getting to school age and I watch them attack education, I watch them attack healthcare and it sickens me.

2 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

irony-comprehend.gif

I swear, you MUST be trolling at this point...

I don't get it... he has a high approval rating and people are happy with him.   Just because Noeller doesn't like him doesn't mean he is right and everyone else is wrong?     Having strong feelings or judging your own opinions purely based on your own beliefs/ideas doesn't mean everyone else should follow suit.

Here in Winnipeg when I lived in the Elmwood area where it was full of lower income and/or people on welfare people were heavy NDP fans because what they stood for benefited them greatly,  when I moved into an area where it was above average income you can't find a single person being a fan of the NDP with everyone being Liberal/PC fans.  Why because what those parties pushed greatly benefited them.     So who is right and who is wrong?  

I'm sorry that because I'm open minded and look at things from other peoples perspectives that this rubs some people the wrong way.  The moral of the story is... just because you think you are the smartest person based on your own opinion and own beliefs... doesn't mean it's true.   Use some facts to back up your argument and if someone has an extremely high approval rating that is a hard fact to negate.   

The video below explains how the UCP board has been hijacked from the inside by the rural nutbars behind the "Take Back Alberta" campaign in order to force their radical agenda upon the unsuspecting masses.  It's well worth watching if you want to understand how Smith was hoisted into position to take control of the province under the notion that voting for a conservative is always better than voting for the NDP.  Basically I think it's come down to a segment of the population wanting the red-blooded American brand of conservativism, not the washed out middle ground presented by Canadian conservatives.

I have little doubt the same tactics will be used by the Conservatives in MB. as a covert way to try to retain power. 

Edited by Fatty Liver

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I'm sorry that because I'm open minded and look at things from other peoples perspectives that this rubs some people the wrong way.  The moral of the story is... just because you think you are the smartest person based on your own opinion and own beliefs... doesn't mean it's true.   Use some facts to back up your argument and if someone has an extremely high approval rating that is a hard fact to negate.   

C'mon! You have to be trolling.!

10 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I am curious about this.  I see few similarities between Singh's school of thought (I hear plenty of it in QP) and the way provincial NDP governments do business.  

The NDP has more intergrated memberships than the other political parties. If you're a member of a provincial NDP then you're also a member of the NDP federally.  To me, this means that the federal wing will have more influence over its provincial counterparts & use that influence even if a province has an NDP government. Jagmeet Singh & Rachel Notley clashed over climate action & her support of the O & G industry in Alberta when she was AB Premier much to Singh's dismay. Even though she brought in a carbon tax. She was also concerned about worker's rights as well as opposed to climate p;olicies that would cause Alberta to lose jobs in that industry. That's how I see it. 

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Then why when there are no labels on politicians does calgary keep rejecting the "conservative" choice and elects progressive mayors? 

Alberta is really not as conservative as people think in the urban areas. They just have these identity politics and hating the federal government, ie. Liberals, is so deeply ingrained in the culture they constantly vote against their best interests. 

I have no patience anymore for people who in any way shape or form justify support for these ass clowns. My kids are just getting to school age and I watch them attack education, I watch them attack healthcare and it sickens me.

Municipal politics seem different. I can't explain it. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The NDP has more intergrated memberships than the other political parties. If you're a member of a provincial NDP then you're also a member of the NDP federally.  To me, this means that the federal wing will have more influence over its provincial counterparts & use that influence even if a province has an NDP government. Jagmeet Singh & Rachel Notley clashed over climate action & her support of the O & G industry in Alberta when she was AB Premier much to Singh's dismay. Even though she brought in a carbon tax. She was also concerned about worker's rights as well as opposed to climate p;olicies that would cause Alberta to lose jobs in that industry. That's how I see it. 

Him being dismayed does not amount to him having an influence. The carbon tax was going to be implemented, no matter what any premier did.  

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

Here in Winnipeg when I lived in the Elmwood area where it was full of lower income and/or people on welfare people were heavy NDP fans because what they stood for benefited them greatly,  when I moved into an area where it was above average income you can't find a single person being a fan of the NDP with everyone being Liberal/PC fans.  Why because what those parties pushed greatly benefited them.     So who is right and who is wrong?  

• "I'vE dOnE mY oWn ReSeArCh!"
  • Behold the difference between "looking" and "seeing".
Edited by Wideleft

10 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

C'mon! You have to be trolling.!

The irony is only matched by the complete and utter lack of self-awareness.

Just now, Wideleft said:

And passes off personal experience (anecdotal evidence) as factual.

Just going to leave this here for no particular reason, but it does seem to address the "It's right because it's popular" argument.

"One of my favourite indicators of that is the fact that, after the announcement that U.K. voters had elected to leave the European Union, the second-most-searched-for question on Google regarding the E.U. was “What is the E.U.?” And, just ahead of the vote, one of the most common questions was “What is Brexit?” Yikes."

- David Moscrop - Too Dumb For Democracy

41 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I wish some people would have the courage to show certain parts of themselves and not hide behind the 'I'm open minded, I've talked with people so that disproves what you say and/or yea but everyone's bad, stop being so divisive' when it comes to giving others (from many varying political ideologies, backgrounds and experiences btw) a hard time in getting angry and frustrated with dangerous lunacy and knuckle dragging thoughts.  

Grow some balls and be true to who you are.

Note the bold that emphasizes reacting unfavorable to moronic lunatic dangerous drivel IS NOT AN ECHO CHAMBER.

I feel like Clark from Christmas Vacation after his boss screwed him over with his work bonus.

52 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Just going to leave this here for no particular reason, but it does seem to address the "It's right because it's popular" argument.

"One of my favourite indicators of that is the fact that, after the announcement that U.K. voters had elected to leave the European Union, the second-most-searched-for question on Google regarding the E.U. was “What is the E.U.?” And, just ahead of the vote, one of the most common questions was “What is Brexit?” Yikes."

- David Moscrop - Too Dumb For Democracy

To be fair though- was that stat from a global search on the words or limited to the U.K.? If it's a global stat, then that could be attributed to the fact the EU and Brexit came more into global consciousness the closer Brexit approached. 

5 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

To be fair though- was that stat from a global search on the words or limited to the U.K.? If it's a global stat, then that could be attributed to the fact the EU and Brexit came more into global consciousness the closer Brexit approached. 

U.K. numbers.   https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/24/480949383/britains-google-searches-for-what-is-the-eu-spike-after-brexit-vote

Edited by Wideleft

Just now, Wideleft said:

U.K. numbers. 

One of my favourite indicators of that is the fact that, after the announcement that U.K. voters had elected to leave the European Union, the second-most-searched-for question on Google regarding the E.U. was “What is the E.U.?” And, just ahead of the vote, one of the most common questions was “What is Brexit?” Yikes."

That there is a perfect quote in my books, then. 

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

No labels. End of story.

You don't think both political parties influence the way things go? The problem is the Conservatives yell louder than the NDP. Everything is No. We need a new hospital. No. We need to spend on education. No. We need to spend on infrastructure. No. We need more Police. No. We need a new arena. No No. No.

Whenever Conservative politicians say no it makes headlines. That was Jeremy Farkas (Calgary 2021 UCP Mayoral candidate ) modus operandi for 4 years. Make headlines by saying no to everything & cut property taxes even if it meant drastic cuts in services.  Fight with Nenshi constantly.

The UCP mayoral candidate hated everything & everyone who was against him. He lost. I get the felling he now realizes he was played as a sucker by the Powers That Be in the UCP & by losing he had no political friends anymore. They dropped him like a hot potato. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You don't think both political parties influence the way things go? The problem is the Conservatives yell louder than the NDP. Everything is No. We need a new hospital. No. We need to spend on education. No. We need to spend on infrastructure. No. We need more Police. No. We need a new arena. No No. No.

Whenever Conservative politicians say no it makes headlines. That was Jeremy Farkas (Calgary 2021 UCP Mayoral candidate ) modus operandi for 4 years. Make headlines by saying no to everything & cut property taxes even if it meant drastic cuts in services.  Fight with Nenshi constantly.

The UCP mayoral candidate hated everything & everyone who was against him. He lost. I get the felling he now realizes he was played as a sucker by the Powers That Be in the UCP & by losing he had no political friends anymore. They dropped him like a hot potato. 

The point is when it's policy vs. policy the conservative policies lose. But when you make it a team sport, red (or orange) vs. team blue you get tons of people voting against their best interests because that's their team. 

I'm not even a big NDP fan... but in a choice between Dumbass Dani Smith and Rachel Notley... well we're all better off with Rachel. Unless you're a rich oil tycoon. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservatives-motion-telford-testify-1.6784637

The Conservatives have put forward a motion in the House of Commons that would compel Katie Telford, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's chief of staff, to testify before a committee on China's alleged efforts to interfere in Canadian elections — and the government House leader has refused to rule out treating the motion as a confidence vote.

The motion, moved by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre, would order Telford to appear before the standing committee on access to information, privacy and ethics no later than April 14 and to answer questions for three hours.

The motion also invites a number of a cabinet ministers and officials to testify, including Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Public Safety Marco Mendicino and CSIS Director David Vigneault.

Conservative MP Michael Cooper, speaking in favour of the motion in the Commons on Monday, said MPs need to question Telford to understand the nature of Beijing's attempts to influence the 2019 and 2021 federal elections.

Speaking with reporters Monday, Government House Leader Mark Holland did not deny that the government might consider the motion a matter of confidence.

"We're in a situation right now where we continue to have these discussions," Holland said.

Losing a confidence vote would trigger an election.

A supply-and-confidence agreement between the Liberals and the NDP, reached in early March 2022, does address situations where the government declares a confidence vote on other matters. The wording of the agreement requires that the Liberals inform the NDP of a confidence vote as soon as possible, and that the New Democrats discuss with the Liberals how their MPs intend to vote before their intentions are announced publicly — "to permit discussions" to take place.

The move is the latest opposition attempt to pressure the government on foreign interference. A series of stories from Global News and The Globe and Mail have reported that Beijing undertook a range of influence operations in the two most recent elections.

Right out of the GQP playbook.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-telfod-motion-china-1.6785575

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's chief of staff has agreed to testify before one of the committees investigating the extent of the Chinese government's interference in Canada's elections — and what the Liberal government knew about it.

"While there are serious constraints on what can be said in public about sensitive intelligence matters, in an effort to make Parliament work, [Katie] Telford has agreed to appear at the procedure and House affairs committee as part of their study," says a Tuesday statement from the Prime Minister's Office.

QPC MP Michael Cooper probably punching the air behind closed doors now.