Canadian Politics

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/myrna-driedger-veteran-tory-mla-won-t-election-1.6703346

Veteran Progressive Conservative MLA Myrna Driedger, who advocated for women's issues and more civility in politics, will not seek re-election in Manitoba's 2023 provincial election.

Driedger, the current Speaker and member of the Manitoba Legislative Assembly for Roblin, said Wednesday it has been an honour to serve west Winnipeg as an MLA for almost 25 years.

"I want to thank the residents of Charleswood and Headingley for entrusting me as their representative through seven elections," Driedger said in a statement on her website.

Driedger will be vacating a seat in an area that has traditionally been a Tory stronghold, but the party has consistently trailed the Opposition NDP in recent opinion polls, particularly in the provincial capital. A recent Probe Research poll suggested the NDP had a 28 percentage point lead over the PCs within Winnipeg.

A quarter of the PC MLAs who were in the party's caucus a year ago — nine of 36 MLAs — won't run in the next provincial election.

Former Kirkfield Park MLA Scott Fielding resigned last June, while Eileen Clarke (Agassiz), Cliff Cullen (Spruce Woods), Ralph Eichler (Lakeside), Alan Lagimodiere (Selkirk), Blaine Pedersen (Midland), Dennis Smook (La Verendrye) and Ian Wishart (Portage la Prairie) have all said they will not seek another term in the Manitoba Legislature.

The general election is slated for October 2023.

I was thinking about this today and didn’t get a chance to search for an answer. 

What does an MLA pension pay? Is it the lifetime cushion similar a federal MP? How many years to be fully vested?

I’m going to guess that ever MLA that decides not to run is fully vested and has a pretty soft cushion. In many ways this reinvigoration that this creates for the party could be good for all Manitobans. It will force the NDP and Libs to run on policy not just “we’re not them”. 

11 hours ago, GCJenks said:

New to the riding, any ideas on who the red and orange candidates will be? Are they nominated already?

Mitch Obach will probably run for the NDP, same as last time. He's a local teacher, does substitute work, good guy.

Liberal, no idea. 

11 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I was thinking about this today and didn’t get a chance to search for an answer. 

What does an MLA pension pay? Is it the lifetime cushion similar a federal MP? How many years to be fully vested?

I’m going to guess that ever MLA that decides not to run is fully vested and has a pretty soft cushion. In many ways this reinvigoration that this creates for the party could be good for all Manitobans. It will force the NDP and Libs to run on policy not just “we’re not them”. 

This is all I could find, but I'll bet JCon knows:

• MLA PENSION PLAN AND ALTERNATIVE RRSP PLAN

The Legislative Assembly Pension Plan (LAPP) was registered with Canada Revenue Agency effective December 7, 2005. Effective January 1, 2018 LAPP active Member contribution is to be increased by 2% to 9%. Increases are to be one-half (1/2%) over 4 years.

As an on-going alternative to the MLA Pension Plan, a Member may contribute up to 7% of his or her total pay to one or more RRSPs of the Member's choice, including a spousal RRSP. A matching contribution is made by the Crown. Total pay includes the Member's basic Salary and any additional indemnities paid to the Member.

• SEVERANCE/TRANSITION ALLOWANCE - Effective October 5, 2011

Newly elected Members on April 25th, 1995, and in subsequent elections, are eligible for the Severance/Transition Allowance. Members who resign, retire or are defeated are entitled to receive the equivalent of one month's salary for each year of service and pro-rated for part of each year of service. The minimum transition payment is three (3) months' pay and the maximum is twelve (12) months' pay. Members have the option of receiving the transition allowance as bi-weekly payments, unless the outgoing Member makes a written request for the amount to be paid as a lump sum. If that request is made, the allowance is payable as a lump sum severance benefit. A Member is not eligible to receive the Transition Allowance if the Member is drawing from the LAPP during the period of transition.

https://www.reviewcommissioner.mb.ca/mla-retirement-benefits-2022.html

I really have no problem with MLAs leaving after 1 or 2 terms. It was never meant to be a career. I also have no problems with them earning retirement benefits. It's not easy and it can put you behind in your chosen career path. 

I do not like when MLAs leave before the end of their term, unless they have to resign.

------------

Don't forget, after the Harper gov't earned their retirement benefits, they cut it for incoming MPs. 

-----

Also, you need to make your announcement early enough so that your riding association can facilitate an election for a new candidate. 

These announcements are not surprising, nor should they be. 

We'll likely hear of candidates on all sides stepping aside. 

22 hours ago, JCon said:

-----

Also, you need to make your announcement early enough so that your riding association can facilitate an election for a new candidate. 

These announcements are not surprising, nor should they be. 

We'll likely hear of candidates on all sides stepping aside. 

The same thing happened with the NDP, in 2016.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-f35-fighter-jet-deal-1.6707769

Canada has signed off on the final contract to buy F-35 jet fighters to replace the air force's aging CF-18s, Defence Minister Anita Anand revealed Monday.

The final agreement for 88 warplanes won't see the first delivered until 2026 and the first F-35 squadrons will not be operational until 2029, senior defence officials said during a technical briefing before the minister's announcement.

Interestingly, the project budget of $19 billion remains the same as originally projected by the Liberal government when it signaled the purchase last year. Anand and other officials stuck to the projection despite inflation which has seen the budgets for other major programs increase dramatically.

A senior defence official, speaking on background, said the F-35 will be purchased in phases and that the first tranche of four aircraft will be $85 million US per fighter.

The deal represents a dramatic turnaround for the Liberal government, which promised not to buy the F-35 and instead purchase a cheaper jet fighter and use the savings to bolster the navy.

An expensive but necessary decision, IMO.

On 2023-01-05 at 2:54 PM, JCon said:

I really have no problem with MLAs leaving after 1 or 2 terms. It was never meant to be a career. I also have no problems with them earning retirement benefits. It's not easy and it can put you behind in your chosen career path. 

I do not like when MLAs leave before the end of their term, unless they have to resign.

------------

Don't forget, after the Harper gov't earned their retirement benefits, they cut it for incoming MPs. 

The only way we will get good people to run is to offer them a golden parachute at the end. The pay itself is laughable.

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The only way we will get good people to run is to offer them a golden parachute at the end. The pay itself is laughable.

Base pay (or what opposition members make) is surprisingly small in Manitoba.  Lamont would have gotten a 46K pay bump if the Liberals could have won just one by-election.

MLA Pay

Years: 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003

Effective April 1, 2022

• ALL MLAs Basic Annual Salary...$99,708.00
  • PREMIER Additional Annual Salary...$83,555.00
  • CABINET MINISTER Additional Annual Salary...$54,589.00
  • CABINET MINISTER WITHOUT PORTFOLIO Additional Annual Salary...$46,011.00
  • SPEAKER Additional Annual Salary...$54,589.00
  • DEPUTY SPEAKER Additional Annual Salary...$11,264.00
  • LEADER OF THE OFFICIAL OPPOSITION Additional Annual Salary...$54,589.00
  • LEADER OF A RECOGNIZED OPPOSITION PARTY Additional Annual Salary...$46,011.00
  • DEPUTY CHAIRPERSON OF THE COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE Additional Annual Salary...$8,045.00
  • GOVERNMENT HOUSE LEADER Additional Annual Salary...$11,264.00
  • HOUSE LEADER OF THE OFFICIAL OPPOSITION Additional Annual Salary...$8,045.00
  • HOUSE LEADER OF A RECOGNIZED OPPOSITION PARTY Additional Annual Salary...$6,438.00
  • GOVERNMENT WHIP Additional Annual Salary...$8,045.00
  • WHIP OF THE OFFICIAL OPPOSITION Additional Annual Salary...$6,438.00
  • WHIP OF A RECOGNIZED OPPOSITION PARTY Additional Annual Salary...$4,830.00
  • CAUCUS CHAIR Additional Annual Salary...$6,935.00
  • CAUCUS CHAIR OF THE OFFICIAL OPPOSITION Additional Annual Salary...$6,935.00
  • LEGISLATIVE ASSISTANT Additional Annual Salary...$4,830.00
  • PERMANENT CHAIRPERSON - STANDING OR SPECIAL COMMITTEES Rate of $208.00 per meeting to an annual maximum of...$4,830.00
  • PERMANENT VICE-CHAIRPERSON - STANDING OR SPECIAL COMMITTEES Rate of $208.00 per meeting to an annual maximum of...$4,026.00

https://www.reviewcommissioner.mb.ca/mla-pay-2022.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/heather-stefanson-cabinet-shuffle-coming-mlas-leaving-1.6707879

Manitoba's premier signalled change may be coming for her inner circle after several members of the Progressive Conservative caucus have announced they won't run in the next election, although she insisted she's "excited" about the future of the party.

Although she didn't say explicitly there would be a cabinet shuffle this week, Premier Heather Stefanson said Monday she "will be making changes."

That comes after 11 of the 36 Tory MLAs who were in the caucus as of a year ago have either resigned, or said recently they don't plan to run in this year's provincial election, which must be held on or before Oct. 3.

Among those 11 were five cabinet members.

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I sure hope the manufacturer resolved the issues that made the plane dangerous to fly in rain. 

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Deathbed repentance. 

Trudeau is setting Alberta up as the villain in election battles to come both in Alberta and nationally

This is a bit crazy, Danielle Smith can't get a strong enough reaction out of the Fed. govt. to stir up the hatred of Albertans prior to the upcoming election, so she's resorting to creating fake animosity.  Honestly the "hate vote" is all she's got.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/braid-trudeau-smith-alberta-climate-change-action

15 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Trudeau is setting Alberta up as the villain in election battles to come both in Alberta and nationally

This is a bit crazy, Danielle Smith can't get a strong enough reaction out of the Fed. govt. to stir up the hatred of Albertans prior to the upcoming election, so she's resorting to creating fake animosity.  Honestly the "hate vote" is all she's got.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/braid-trudeau-smith-alberta-climate-change-action

Don Braid is a ******* dolt.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

It's over for the PCs. Time to lick wounds and regroup.

Oh, no. It's time to find a scapegoat or scapegoats. It may come down to blaming the voters for not understanding the magnificence of the PC party and platform. Or, maybe the PCs just didn't communicate it well enough.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Don Braid is a ******* dolt.

"Doltness" is endemic to Alberta, particularly in the south.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

"Doltness" is endemic to Alberta, particularly in the south.

all rural, trust me.... it's up in the far north, it's in the far south, and all the rural area surrounding Red Deer in the middle..... it's lunacy, and I just can't stand it anymore.