Canadian Politics

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

How long until we find out Little PP is taking money from Russians? 

Oh, look, Rebel Media, one of Little PPs biggest supporters. 

The Convoy Party of Canada wants your vote!

I drove east on #1 highway on Sunday afternoon and about 12km east of Winnipeg there was a gathering of convoy protesters on a frontage road, complete with big Canadian and American flags. there was less than a dozen vehicles and this would probably qualify as emotional masturbation that may make you feel good but produces no new life,

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

How long until we find out Little PP is taking money from Russians? 

Oh, look, Rebel Media, one of Little PPs biggest supporters. 

The Convoy Party of Canada wants your vote!

Is that the same Rebel Media as the Canadian one? 

27 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I drove east on #1 highway on Sunday afternoon and about 12km east of Winnipeg there was a gathering of convoy protesters on a frontage road, complete with big Canadian and American flags. there was less than a dozen vehicles and this would probably qualify as emotional masturbation that may make you feel good but produces no new life,

I saw a gaggle outside of Kamloops last weekend as well, can't imagine what they're protesting now other than their unified hate for Trudeau.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Good catch. Probably not. 

Apparently there is only one Rebel Media and that is in Canada run by the disgraced Ezra Levant, which is ironic because "Levant" is a Jewish name in all likelihood, and these right-wing jackholes are as antisemitic as it gets. 

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

I saw a gaggle outside of Kamloops last weekend as well, can't imagine what they're protesting now other than their unified hate for Trudeau.

Lol, it was the 1st thought that went through my head. What the hell are they protesting ???   ( And I have a ton of dislike for Trudeau )  I guess there are a few people with bugger all to do.

every single day in small town Alberta..... trucks with flags and despicable signs/lettering. They found their voice during the pandemic, love the attention, and will not let it go. Whether they have anything to protest or not, they'll be beating the drum. Literally EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I see these people/vehicles around town. Today, while working at a public event, I came across a "notable" person in our community ranting loudly to a small group of people about how churches and Con's/con's, need to all come together for the good of being in charge again. The world is going to hell, and they need to band together to prevent progressiveness and the so-called "woke culture". It just never ends around here...... 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

every single day in small town Alberta..... trucks with flags and despicable signs/lettering. They found their voice during the pandemic, love the attention, and will not let it go. Whether they have anything to protest or not, they'll be beating the drum. Literally EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I see these people/vehicles around town. Today, while working at a public event, I came across a "notable" person in our community ranting loudly to a small group of people about how churches and Con's/con's, need to all come together for the good of being in charge again. The world is going to hell, and they need to band together to prevent progressiveness and the so-called "woke culture". It just never ends around here...... 

It's like a 2nd pandemic.  Moronitis.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Well the reality is these people are here to stay, they've always hung around the fringes but now they have a stronger voice so they feel more empowered.  All we can hope is they remain a shameful minority in the background and don't swell in popularity as they have in the US were idiocy freely abounds, as we have a clear window to the ****-show people of that ilk have been able to create.  Could happen here if we don't hang on tighter to our unique Canadian identity and scream back f*ck no!

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Well the reality is these people are here to stay, they've always hung around the fringes but now they have a stronger voice so they feel more empowered.  All we can hope is they remain a shameful minority in the background and don't swell in popularity as they have in the US were idiocy freely abounds, as we have a clear window to the ****-show people of that ilk have been able to create.  Could happen here if we don't hang on tighter to our unique Canadian identity and scream back f*ck no!

The only way this ever changes is if Trudeau resigns, the government stops hammering us about climate change & stops taxing us to death. And Jagmeet Singh quits complaining about the Liberal government on social media but keeps Trudeau in power in Parliament. We've have the highest inflation rate in 45 years, government services have virtually stopped functioning like getting passports & airports are a mess. People's budgets & discretionary spending are limited. No one is getting ahead anymore. A lot of Canadians live paycheque to paycheque. Something that was worth X yesterday is now worth Y today. 

Actually, it could get worse if someone like Chrystia Freeland, Steven Guilbault, Melanie Joly, Francois Phillipe-Champagne, takes over & continues on with the same agenda Trudeau is pushing through now. The Genie is out of the bottle. I think it's too late. The mistrust of government has never been as high as it is now.  More & more people will become radicalized & emboldened to perhaps try to overthrow the Canadian government. 

I don't support armed insurrection. I support a change of government on Election Day through the democratic process. A growing number of Canadians are losing patience. They don't feel they are being heard or they believe that political Elites run the country. At some point, they may be willing to do acts of violence to make that happen. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

53 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The only way this ever changes is if Trudeau resigns, the government stops hammering us about climate change & stops taxing us to death. And Jagmeet Singh quits complaining about the Liberal government on social media but keeps Trudeau in power. We've have the highest inflation rate in 45 years, government services have virtually stopped functioning like getting passports & airports are a mess. People's budgets & discretionary spending are limited. No one is getting ahead anymore. A lot of Canadians live paycheque to paycheque. Something that was worth X yesterday is now worth Y today. 

Actually, it could get worse if someone like Chrystia Freeland, Steven Guilbault, Melanie Joly, Francois Phillipe-Champagne, takes over & continues on with the same agenda Trudeau is pushing through now. The Genie is out of the bottle. I think it's too late. The mistrust of government has never been as high as it is now.  More & more people will become radicalized & emboldened to perhaps try to overthrow the Canadian government. 

I don't support armed insurrection. I support a change of government on Election Day through the democratic process. A growing number of Canadians are losing patience. They don't feel they are being heard or they believe that political Elites run the country. At some point, they may be willing to do acts of violence to make that happen. 

Tracker, I think violence is inevitable. This country has become too polarized. Sorry, if I sound too negative. It's just how I see it. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

53 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But here's the rub: the current Conservatives have no one nearly as competent as Harper was, but even he had trouble winning majorities.  If they get in with a minority, they have no one to prop them up. 

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

But here's the rub: the current Conservatives have no one nearly as competent as Harper was, but even he had trouble winning majorities.  If they get in with a minority, they have no one to prop them up. 

They govern with a minority like Trudeau should be doing now. Like Harper did until he got a majority government. No opposition party will risk bringing down the government for at least 2 - 21/2 years anyway & bring the wrath of canadians down with another election. . 

28 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They govern with a minority like Trudeau should be doing now. Like Harper did until he got a majority government. No opposition party will risk bringing down the government for at least 2 - 21/2 years anyway & bring the wrath of canadians down with another election. . 

Which other party supports them?

Edited by rebusrankin

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Which other party supports them?

They don't need another party to support them. They have to govern as a minority & work with other parties in parliament. Usually minority governments last 2-2 1/2 years before they're defeated on a vote in parliament. usually a money bill like the budget. 

Usually, opposition parties don't want another quick election. They have to nominate candidates in every ridings. Except the BQ. Usually parties finances are tight from spending money on an election. They know Canadians would be pissed to go to the polls especially in the first year after. So, they're motivated to not bring the government down.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The only way this ever changes is if Trudeau resigns, the government stops hammering us about climate change & stops taxing us to death. And Jagmeet Singh quits complaining about the Liberal government on social media but keeps Trudeau in power in Parliament. We've have the highest inflation rate in 45 years, government services have virtually stopped functioning like getting passports & airports are a mess. People's budgets & discretionary spending are limited. No one is getting ahead anymore. A lot of Canadians live paycheque to paycheque. Something that was worth X yesterday is now worth Y today. 

Just to reiterate, I don't support the Yee Haw Cowboys & Cowgirls of the PPC or the Trucker Convoy. What I'm concerned about is we have a Liberal Party that doesn't govern to be inclusive but governs as a Divider. They pit one part of the country against another. The Conservatives & PPC only care about their base with policies that reflect that base. The Liberals do the same. They govern to their base & as a result we get polarization. Canada is divided. It's just getting worse. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I agree with some of your points BUT my issue is we don't have a viable alternative. It's my firm belief PP will be a disaster. Both because of his willingness to pander to the nut jobs and because I really question his ability to to be a good functioning government. I like Singh but I doubt Canadians are willing to vote him in due to his ethnicity. I think a Trudeau less Liberal party would draw alot of support. Would it be better ? Who knows.

On 2022-07-19 at 8:36 AM, blue_gold_84 said:

Update on this craziness: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/united-people-of-canada-st-brigids-security-force-1.6546148

A controversial organization operating out of a historic Ottawa church has set up what it calls a "private security force," saying it was necessary because police weren't responding to its concerns quickly enough.

The United People of Canada (TUPC) said it has identified people it claims have committed crimes targeting the group, and is prepared to "ensure the rule of law is upheld within our lawful authority," according to William Komer, one of its directors.

However, Komer wouldn't share details about whether the force will be made up of outside contractors or the group's supporters.

"The exact security force, who's involved, we're keeping that completely private," Komer said Tuesday.

Security and investigative agencies in Ontario must have a valid licence, but the Ministry of the Solicitor General, which oversees them, said it hasn't heard from TUPC about its force.

Meanwhile, some community members are questioning why a private security force is necessary.

"For them to talk about a private security force, some residents have said, 'Is this a militia?'" said Sylvia Bigras, president of the Lowertown Community Association. "It's incredibly concerning."

Komer said there's no plan for vigilante justice or a militia, just a "lawful security force."

An Aug. 4 Facebook comment from the organization said it plans to create a "sizeable security force," and that it had "commissioned" its first member to "stand guard."

Security agencies in Ontario have to comply with the Private Security and Investigative Services Act. They must also have an agency licence and can only hire licensed staff. Failing to comply with the act can result in fines up to $250,000 and one year of imprisonment, the province's website states.

The ministry "does not currently have a security guard agency application from this group," a spokesperson said in an email to CBC on Tuesday.

TUPC is in the process of buying St. Brigid's, a former church and arts centre in Lowertown.

This is a troubling development.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just to reiterate, I don't support the Yee Haw Cowboys & Cowgirls of the PPC or the Trucker Convoy. What I'm concerned about is we have a Liberal Party that doesn't govern to be inclusive but governs as a Divider. They pit one part of the country against another. The Conservatives & PPC only care about their base with policies that reflect that base. The Liberals do the same. They govern to their base & as a result we get polarization. Canada is divided. It's just getting worse. 

I believe that what you see as divisive politics by the Liberals is mostly hysteria generated by the newly-energized right wing nutjobs which have a disproportionate influence on both the PCs and media, giving them a much larger profile that their numbers warrant. The Trudeau government has enforced the existing laws about public health and safety (the mask/vaccination stuff) but the final choices were made by the provincial governments. As far as I can tell, the federal government has not gone out of its way to antagonize people, right-wing or not. There are bottlenecks in government services, both federal and provincial and there appear to multiple reasons for that, some beyond government control. The small but vocal and sometimes unhinged minority in Canada (and elsewhere) are having hissy-fits because they are not getting their way, and often for good reason. The trucker infestations in Ottawa, Winnipeg and Alberta are examples- they wanted all COVID measures repealed instantly and for the federal government to be overturned without due process.

The economic situation such as high housing prices has been here before and looks to be cyclical. The measures required to correct it are probably unpalatable to most (eg:  some cities in Europe require that houses must be sold to the city and bought from them, and have kept housing prices way down). In the meantime, the rich are getting richer and the poor are disproportionally taxed.  

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yes it is, and appears to have been born out of the frustration related to the lack of response to the trucker occupations in Ottawa, Winnipeg and Coutts, Alberta.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The thing that I find the most amusing about all of this. Replace all of the names in here with the names of the past and it's basically the same with a few differences in what people are pissed about. BUT we will all go ahead and pretend like the changing of this person or that person is really what we need to make a difference! If it wasn't for Trudeau my life would be so much better!...if it wasn't for Harper, my life would be so much better....if it wasn't for chretien my life would be so much better....and round and round we go!

Edited by Bigblue204