Canadian Politics

On 2022-07-29 at 11:34 AM, Tracker said:

Which was exactly what Filmon and Co. wanted. I recall that the consultant(s) demanded a $100,000 remodeling of the office(s) they were housed in. And got it.

I recall an efficiency expert being brought in to assess costs at HSC. May have been the same person. They said the hospital needed to immediately slash $400,000 off the top and targeted shift nursing positions instead of middle management salaries. And guess what the payment to the efficiency expert was for their services? Yep, $400,000. 

QAnon ‘Queen of Canada’ Wants Some American Subjects

A QAnon leader whose followers believe she’s the “Queen of Canada” has now set her sights on the United States, urging her followers to enforce her dangerous “decrees” in America.

For people outside of the pro-Trump QAnon conspiracy theory, Romana Didulo is just another Canadian citizen. But for her supporters, she’s a monarch ordained by Q and the American military to rule over Canada and, ultimately, the world. After being endorsed by other QAnon promoters, Didulo managed to amass a following, and is currently touring Canada in a fleet of RVs to meet with her supporters.

Now, though, Didulo’s ambitions seem to have grown. In July, she started telling her more than 60,000 followers on the messaging app Telegram about the establishment of the “Kingdom of America,” handing out royal “titles” to Americans who promised to promote her reign there and appointing a new United States “commander-in-chief,” a man named David Carlson.

While Didulo’s ideas are ridiculous, they’ve already had a real-world effect on Canada. When Didulo told her fans that she had abolished Canada’s income tax, some stopped paying taxes to the Canadian government. Because Didulo issued a “decree” announcing that her supporters could now pay their utility bills with “IOUs” backed by her bogus government, her supporters have started losing electricity and water in their homes.

On 2022-08-01 at 10:09 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

I recall an efficiency expert being brought in to assess costs at HSC. May have been the same person. They said the hospital needed to immediately slash $400,000 off the top and targeted shift nursing positions instead of middle management salaries. And guess what the payment to the efficiency expert was for their services? Yep, $400,000. 

Apparently PT Barnum was among the authors of the report.

15 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Who the heck are the people who take this woman seriously? 

Generally, these are people whose lives are drab and lacking success in any measure, so they look to find someone to blame other than themselves. Its a variation of the "If it wasn't for you, I could" game.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9033560/conservative-leadership-final-debate/

The party organized the debate over the past two weeks and opted for a low-profile setup, held at a small Ottawa studio without an in-person audience.

The three participating candidates — Aitchison, Charest and Roman Baber, a former member of the Ontario legislature — were packed into a small photography studio and seated around a table, rather than standing at podiums.

Poilievre and Lewis risk being fined $50,000 for skipping the event. Although party rules say the penalty for any candidate who decides to skip an official debate is automatic, the party’s leadership election organizing committee will have the final say.

The debate, which included 45 minutes in English followed by an equal amount of time in French, featured more friendly discussion than sparring between candidates.

Besides fielding questions on fighting climate change, they also spoke affordability, fixing travel in Canada, advancing reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples.

23 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

How can anyone be inspired by such a putz?

Two significant trends:

If I don't win this election, it's rigged. UPDATE: I won this election but it was rigged because I didn't win by a landslide.

Every debate I'm asked to attend is unfair/useless if I can't control what issues are dealt with, what questions are asked, what answers are allowed and who is the moderator spoon feeding these.

The people who vote for the people who are doing the above do the exact same things in their own miserable personal lives - if things don't exactly fit into how they think things should go based on their own narrow view of the world then 'it's all rigged, the people doing these things to me and my friends are horrible people, wake up WOKE Libtard sheep, you're so dumb I'm so smart, it's unfair, it's criminal it needs to change. Oh and I'm a Christian, I wear this cross with pride I'm a patriot'.

On behalf of all of us from many walks of life with at times differing perspectives but know how to be an adult and want to continually learn in how to be better people just so we can co-exist with one another in a meaningful way, we apologize to all the people who are being painted guilty by association with these nutbars.

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Bitcoin Milhouse-Who looks at that guy and thinks Prime Minister material?

I think commenting on his looks and basing an opinion of leadership qualities based on looks is pretty low. There's a lot to substantially not like him for, but looks... meh.

10 hours ago, WildPath said:

I think commenting on his looks and basing an opinion of leadership qualities based on looks is pretty low. There's a lot to substantially not like him for, but looks... meh.

15 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Bitcoin Milhouse-Who looks at that guy and thinks Prime Minister material?

You're right, I worded this poorly. I should have said who listens to or reads his ideas about supporting the convoy, using bitcoin to opt out of inflation, firing the gov of the bank of Canada etc and thinks this individual would be a good PM. Not to mention the contradiction in railing against gatekeepers in housing but owning rental units yourself.

Wish this would be done in Canada.

"GREENBELT, Md. (AP) — A West Virginia man was sentenced Thursday to three years in federal prison after he sent emails threatening Dr. Anthony Fauci and another federal health official for talking about the coronavirus and efforts to prevent its spread."

yahoo news

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

You're right, I worded this poorly. I should have said who listens to or reads his ideas about supporting the convoy, using bitcoin to opt out of inflation, firing the gov of the bank of Canada etc and thinks this individual would be a good PM. Not to mention the contradiction in railing against gatekeepers in housing but owning rental units yourself.

Didn't mean to come down high and mighty as I do it myself when I don't catch it. I just think it is ridiculous how obsessed the F-Trudeau crowd is with his looks, likely because they lack the ability to understand politics and policy. PP "policies" are easy to critique so there's really no need to discuss his looks.

17 hours ago, WildPath said:

Yet who would have thought that Trump would have conned his way into the White House?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-09/tory-firebrand-faces-key-barriers-in-his-bid-to-topple-trudeau?srnd=premium-canada

Pierre Poilievre has been riding a wave of support among working class men to become front-runner in the race to lead Canada’s main opposition Conservatives, but polling suggests he faces regional and demographic barriers in his bid to defeat Justin Trudeau in a general election.

Just 17% of Canadians prefer Poilievre as prime minister, compared to 24% for Trudeau, according to a poll by Nanos Research Group for Bloomberg News. Jean Charest, the former Quebec premier who is the 43-year-old firebrand’s main rival in the Conservative race, has 13% support.

Poilievre -- who was endorsed last month by former Prime Minister Stephen Harper and has vowed to fire the governor of the Bank of Canada if he becomes prime minister -- leads Trudeau among men, non-college graduates and people who can’t work remotely from home, the data show. He lags badly, however, with women, older Canadians and university educated voters.

In French-speaking Quebec, with one quarter of the country’s population, Poilievre is favored by just 6% -- by far the lowest of the main contenders. 

Born in Calgary, Poilievre has represented an Ottawa-area district since 2004. He is running a populist campaign on the theme of freedom from the “elite gatekeepers” purportedly controlling Canadians’ lives and voiced support for the trucker-led convoy that occupied the capital city’s downtown core for weeks at the start of the year to protest against vaccine mandates.

The numbers show that without broadening his base of support, Poilievre would have a very narrow path to victory. That’s not unlike Trudeau, who has eked out wins in the last two elections even though his Liberal Party finished second in the popular vote.

The poll also suggests that a Poilievre-Trudeau battle could end up being particularly divisive, with even sharper political fault lines centered around gender and class in addition to the rural-urban and East-West splits that have marked recent elections. 

Poilievre’s path to victory becomes easier if he manages to win over Charest’s supporters, should he triumph in the September vote by party members. The former premier and Poilievre combined beat Trudeau in just about every demographic, except for women.

New Democratic Party Leader Jagmeet Singh, who agreed to support the minority Liberals in parliament until 2025 after Trudeau promised more spending on social programs, was preferred by 16% of respondents in the poll.

The Nanos survey of 1,038 people was conducted by phone and online between July 29 and Aug. 2. It is considered accurate within 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Not in the least bit surprised...

Poilievre -- who was endorsed last month by former Prime Minister Stephen Harper and has vowed to fire the governor of the Bank of Canada if he becomes prime minister -- leads Trudeau among men, non-college graduates and people who can’t work remotely from home, the data show. He lags badly, however, with women, older Canadians and university educated voters.

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

Not in the least bit surprised...

Poilievre -- who was endorsed last month by former Prime Minister Stephen Harper and has vowed to fire the governor of the Bank of Canada if he becomes prime minister -- leads Trudeau among men, non-college graduates and people who can’t work remotely from home, the data show. He lags badly, however, with women, older Canadians and university educated voters.

Shocking said no one ever.

29 minutes ago, JCon said:

Break the system, then privatize. ALWAYS the right's intention.

My late mother in law suffered from dementia and was left for hours on the toilet at a for-profit care facility in Ontario. Eventually she tried to stand but fell onto the floor, breaking her hip and was apparently left that way for an extended period. She never recovered. A coroner's inquest found that she was not the only one in that facility to have been neglected that was and this was due to chronic staffing shortages. Doubtless, it was not the only such in Ontario, and no one was ever fined or convicted.

This is the probable future of healthcare in Ontario and any Conservative-governed provincial healthcare system. The American healthcare system is a horrid, frightening example of a privatized system.

Recently I spoke to nurse here working for a private company contracted to supply interim nurses for the Department of Health. This nurse earns almost three times to going rate for salaried nurses in the system, and the billing to the provincial government would also add administrative costs. The PCS can wail that healthcare is just too expensive to maintain and this is only one example of a probable many.

Edited by Tracker