Canadian Politics

On 2022-05-14 at 8:41 PM, WildPath said:

Curious to know if Charest stepped up and said the same thing when Trudeau was harassed last election and he wasn't running for PC leadership. He's right in condemning this and I'd like to see more people across the political spectrum call this out, I just hope he feels the same way when speaking out doesn't benefit him specifically by taking a shot at a rival.

Politicians have brought this on themselves from all political parties. Too much partisanship today. Social media has fanned the flames as well. It shouldn't happen but it is. People are feeling left out & disenfranchised. They feel that no one listens to them. This is how they react. But Charest calling out Pollievre? Charest has been part of the problem for 30 years. 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

If you humour these people and prolong the conversation you will soon discover, racism and homophobia bubbling just beneath the surface.  In my line of work I  deal with a few like this everyday, and I do my best not to engage. They are not smart, informed or educated, mostly just angry for some reason.

It's called "displacement", where something is crappy in your life, so you find a target of opportunity to dump on and blame.

Edited by Tracker

50 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Kenny stepping down in Cowboyland, I mean Alberta.

Butbutbut...he was doing so well as the greatest visionary in Alberta history- almost as well as he did as a federal minister under Harper.

9 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

He also knows when to leave - he has a history of that. 

Yeah he stayed on the NDP would have cruised to victory, he doesn't want to own that. 

As it is I am not sure how the ucp recover from this. That party has deep divisions and they have pissed off a lot of moderates. Not sure who in their ranks can convince the masses they are worth voting for.

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

Terrified for this province.... What comes next now that the crazies punted Kenney for being too moderate and "too soft on Trudeau" is going to be bad for this province as a whole. NDP has no chance now, with Kenney gone. 

Hmmmmmm don't know if I agree with this. 

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

Terrified for this province.... What comes next now that the crazies punted Kenney for being too moderate and "too soft on Trudeau" is going to be bad for this province as a whole. NDP has no chance now, with Kenney gone. 

C'mon down to Winnipeg, where we will have an NDP government next election. 

19 hours ago, WildPath said:

Especially ironic because you were originally responding to someone who was pointing out a conversation with a rural person saying that Trudeau should be shot.

I guess there is definitely some irony there. Doesn't change how the people of rural Manitoba feel about it though. 

On CBC radio evening news tonight, the reporter who has been following the fratricidal federal Tory leadership race stated that Poilievre is likely to win  the race because the other options are not extreme enough. The policies his followers were most enamoured with are his attacks on the media, his threats to fire the head of the Bank of Canada and antagonism towards ecological concerns. These are apparently non-negotiable for them and they are looking for a complete restructuring of federal government to closely resemble the Trumpian model. 

Good news for the Liberals and NDP but not sure if this is good news for Canada.

23 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think you're blowing things a bit out of proporton on the future of Alberta. When it comes right down to it Kenney played dirty politics. He was a crook. He cheated to win the UCP leadership in 2018 & he did the same thing with the review. Except that the voters in the ladership review knew that already so it didn't work.

For example, just 8 credit cards bought $48,000 worth of  new UCP memberships. Who were these 8 individuals with the credit cards? Why aren't their names being released? What candidate were they working for? Were they government credit cards or individual? Why would anyone spend their money on their own credit cards buying memberships? So I think I know the answer to that question. These memberships were bought & paid for by taxpayer dollars. Other accusations include memberships being sold in people's names who didn't buy them. Elections AB is now investigating. Kenney's word could never be trusted. He was as transparent as the Red River. For him, being Premier was going to be a stepping stone to a coronation as leader of the CCP & ultimately PM. 

Kenney's govt was corrupt. He was a contemptable little man. 

37 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think you're blowing things a bit out of proporton on the future of Alberta. When it comes right down to it Kenney played dirty politics. He was a crook. He cheated to win the UCP leadership in 2018 & he did the same thing with the review. Except that the voters in the ladership review knew that already so it didn't work.

For example, just 8 credit cards bought $48,000 worth of  new UCP memberships. Who were these 8 individuals with the credit cards? Why aren't their names being released? What candidate were they working for? Were they government credit cards or individual? Why would anyone spend their money on their own credit cards buying memberships? So I think I know the answer to that question. These memberships were bought & paid for by taxpayer dollars. Other accusations include memberships being sold in people's names who didn't buy them. Elections AB is now investigating. Kenney's word could never be trusted. He was as transparent as the Red River. For him, being Premier was going to be a stepping stone to a coronation as leader of the CCP & ultimately PM. 

"was"?

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I hope they follow through with this investigation and identify the credit card holders, and don't just drop it now that Kenney has resigned.  I think he knew he couldn't win by cheating again this time, as too many eyes were watching him for any sleight of hand.

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I hope they follow through with this investigation and identify the credit card holders, and don't just drop it now that Kenney has resigned.  I think he knew he couldn't win by cheating again this time, as too many eyes were watching him for any sleight of hand.

He's already under investigation by the RCMP for voter fraud in the 2018 UCP Leadership Race. That there was voter fraud which screwed Brian Jean out of winning that race. Of course, the RCMP is still investigating after 4 years. There's been no update from them in over 2 years.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

For example, just 8 credit cards bought $48,000 worth of  new UCP memberships. Who were these 8 individuals with the credit cards? Why aren't their names being released? What candidate were they working for? Were they government credit cards or individual? Why would anyone spend their money on their own credit cards buying memberships? So I think I know the answer to that question. These memberships were bought & paid for by taxpayer dollars. 

They could have been corporate or company credit cards. I am sure companies who support candidates purchase memberships and get employees and other people to vote for them. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He's already under investigation by the RCMP for voter fraud in the 2018 UCP Leadership Race. That there was voter fraud which screwed Brian Jean out of winning that race. Of course, the RCMP is still investigating after 4 years. There's been no update from them in over 2 years.

Don't forget that Kenney fired the election commissioner who was investigating this.  Yes, his ethics commissioner cleared him, but I suspect she was scared of also getting fired if she ruled differently.  

Just another day in Alberta Conservative politics, I suppose.