Canadian Politics

16 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Enough is enough, these stupid rednecks are fundamentally altering the way our political system operates.  Social media has given them a platform to organize their protests, and unless steps are taken to crack down on this vulgar behaviour, public appearances by political representatives will revert to the Harper model, were public appearances are in fact private controlled events for invited guests only.  Which would also exclude any press that might ask unscripted questions or shine a bad light on the political candidate.  These idiots have nothing to contribute to democracy, other than spewing vitriol and white noise.

"Stay the f*ck out of Peterborough": Jagmeet Singh harassed at NDP event

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/singh-peterborough-campaign-harrasment-1.6449729

@the watcher this is mostly what I was referring to a ways back in the thread. Hostility like this, often based on conspiracies and misinformation, emboldened by many members of our opposition party. Like the US needed true Republicans to stamp out Trumpism and didn't, we need real conservatives to harshly criticize stuff like this and call it for what it is rather than use it for political gain.

Source unknown:

I was thinking of the "free exchange of ideas" last night. You know, it's not like a market, it's like a potluck. Everyone brings their own ideas and you sample others and some are familiar with a twist, some are interesting but not to your taste, some are bad, some are lifechanging. You can get into a discussion about recipes or technique, or what have you as people talk about the food. If someone brings mashed potatoes, you can debate the appropriateness for a potluck: is it too bland? Will it get cold on the table? Do potatoes make up too much of our diet? But if someone puts a steaming platter of dog **** on the table, we're not going to debate it. And when we tell them to take it off the table, it's not because we are afraid of eating their dog **** or we think that it's going to revolutionize lunch and we don't want that to happen. We tell them to get it off the table because there is no debate to be had. It's dog ****. It's not an open question, it's not a matter of palettes or picky eaters. That's why we don't engage with neo-nazis and white supremacists, and it's why we don't (or shouldn't) let them come to the potluck

Edited by Wideleft

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

We moved out of grain in the mid 70's because there was no money in it, so I will have to take your word for it on the CWB after that time. The cost of hauling grain to market all depends how much further you have to go. In some areas it was minimal, but others it was quite expensive because the distance was further. My brother now has to haul almost 100k to sell his grain.

Yes, in the mid - 70s all the way to the early 90s, the only real way to make money with grain was to feed it to livestock

But more recently, it is quite possible to do well with farming exclusively grain

But the CWB was not the issue - because grains other than wheat or malting barley were also priced very low

Barley was as low as 90 cents a bushel in 1980s, so you could make a killing feeding it to hogs or cattle

6 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Curious to know if Charest stepped up and said the same thing when Trudeau was harassed last election and he wasn't running for PC leadership. He's right in condemning this and I'd like to see more people across the political spectrum call this out, I just hope he feels the same way when speaking out doesn't benefit him specifically by taking a shot at a rival.

1 minute ago, WildPath said:

Curious to know if Charest stepped up and said the same thing when Trudeau was harassed last election and he wasn't running for PC leadership. He's right in condemning this and I'd like to see more people across the political spectrum call this out, I just hope he feels the same way when speaking out doesn't benefit him specifically by taking a shot at a rival.

If we as Canadians and our representatives do not forcefully condemn this, we are headed down the same path as the US.

22 minutes ago, Tracker said:

If we as Canadians and our representatives do not forcefully condemn this, we are headed down the same path as the US.

Currently reading an interesting book - Authoritarian Nightmare about the rise of Trump and why people follow him. Very interesting stuff, especially the part about the psychology of his followers. Co-authored by Manitoba's own Bob Altemeyer, an expert on authoritarianism. Canada is at risk too.

10 hours ago, WildPath said:

Currently reading an interesting book - Authoritarian Nightmare about the rise of Trump and why people follow him. Very interesting stuff, especially the part about the psychology of his followers. Co-authored by Manitoba's own Bob Altemeyer, an expert on authoritarianism. Canada is at risk too.

It is getting weird/ scary. I was fuelling up a slip tank at a cardlock yesterday. A guy about my age that I didn't know pulled in to fuel his pickup and came over to talk which is normal in a small town.

Dude : Getting rready to go to the field

Me: If it ever dries up

Dude: Boy I wonder what that will cost you when you get the bill ? 

Me : I don't know but it won't be cheap.

And this is where the conversation went right off the wall.

Dude : Well, I hate to say it ( looking around ) but someone should shoot that Trudeau

Me : ( after a few shocked seconds ) You mean because of the carbon tax , because that's got nothing to do with why the fuel price rocketing up. It's just whats going on in the Ukraine and that being used as an excuse to charge more money here.

Dude: Well Trudeau is sending them fuel ! ( Edit : He also said they are trying to make us drive electric cars like it was some horrible thing)

At that point I gave him a whatever and got busy strapping my tank down. But I find it unnerving that a random stranger would assume it was OK to say that to me about ANY leader. The world is collectively going off its nut.

Edited by the watcher

2 hours ago, the watcher said:

It is getting weird/ scary. I was fuelling up a slip tank at a cardlock yesterday. A guy about my age that I didn't know pulled in to fuel his pickup and came over to talk which is normal in a small town.

Dude : Well, I hate to say it ( looking around ) but someone should shoot that Trudeau

Me : ( after a few shocked seconds ) You mean because of the carbon tax , because that's got nothing to do with why the fuel price rocketing up. It's just whats going on in the Ukraine and that being used as an excuse to charge more money here.

Dude: Well Trudeau is sending them fuel ! ( Edit : He also said they are trying to make us drive electric cars like it was some horrible thing)

At that point I gave him a whatever and got busy strapping my tank down. But I find it unnerving that a random stranger would assume it was OK to say that to me about ANY leader. The world is collectively going off its nut.

That potential is always there as the Stanford Experiment proved.

5 hours ago, the watcher said:

Totally goes with the authoritarian-follower profile that the book describes. Looking to follow a strong leader, able to compartmentalize incompatible views, no critical thinking regarding their own views, angry and willing to accept attributions by those who cast themselves as a strong leader that will stick up for their interests (PP), willing to use violence to have their interests win out.

On 2022-05-15 at 11:38 AM, Tracker said:

That potential is always there as the Stanford Experiment proved.

Just want to point out that The Stanford Experiment was horribly, horribly flawed.  Rutger Bregman spends a whole chapter on it in his book "Human Kind".

In case you don't want to buy the book.

On 2022-05-15 at 8:39 AM, the watcher said:

Sad but true. You will find this exact same conversation in pretty much every rural community East of Toronto. Trudeau's policies are not popular in rural Canada.

39 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sad but true. You will find this exact same conversation in pretty much every rural community East of Toronto. Trudeau's policies are not popular in rural Canada.

But which policies do people take issue with? I know people don't like the carbon tax, no one ever likes a tax, but it is a relatively minor expense all things considered. So which policies are so bad for rural Canada?

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But which policies do people take issue with? I know people don't like the carbon tax, no one ever likes a tax, but it is a relatively minor expense all things considered. So which policies are so bad for rural Canada?

The policy that his name is Trudeau. So, violence and hate is acceptable. 

Justin Trudeau could walk on water and heal wounded swans by touch and the haters would not accept him. Their hatred is irrational and unchangeable and would settle nothing less than rule by a minority that would fall on each others in short order.

I guess I should have said why I was a bit shocked. 

1- A total stranger said we need to shoot the PM

2- As far as I know we are not and probably can't send oil to the Ukraine

3- Neither the carbon tax or our loosely promised hope to send oil to Europe to off- set the bans on Russian oil and gas are the cause of the rise in fuel prices.

4- I thought this new idiocy of not actually looking things up or thinking things through would stay south of the border.

I really dislike Trudeau.  I think he is a snotty rich kid  who rode his Dads name . But so what. I didn't and won't vote for him but enough people did that he was elected. That's a democracy. Lots of people on here despised Harper but the man was elected and you have to live with it. Neither are Nazis. Neither are dictators. People have to get over themselves and realise that in a democracy the desires and opinions of the individual don't matter. And in Canada we don't shoot our leaders even if they dont represent our personal opinions.Rant done lol

3 hours ago, the watcher said:

I guess I should have said why I was a bit shocked. 

1- A total stranger said we need to shoot the PM

2- As far as I know we are not and probably can't send oil to the Ukraine

3- Neither the carbon tax or our loosely promised hope to send oil to Europe to off- set the bans on Russian oil and gas are the cause of the rise in fuel prices.

4- I thought this new idiocy of not actually looking things up or thinking things through would stay south of the border.

I really dislike Trudeau.  I think he is a snotty rich kid  who rode his Dads name . But so what. I didn't and won't vote for him but enough people did that he was elected. That's a democracy. Lots of people on here despised Harper but the man was elected and you have to live with it. Neither are Nazis. Neither are dictators. People have to get over themselves and realise that in a democracy the desires and opinions of the individual don't matter. And in Canada we don't shoot our leaders even if they dont represent our personal opinions.Rant done lol

If you humour these people and prolong the conversation you will soon discover, racism and homophobia bubbling just beneath the surface.  In my line of work I  deal with a few like this everyday, and I do my best not to engage. They are not smart, informed or educated, mostly just angry for some reason.

11 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

If you humour these people and prolong the conversation you will soon discover, racism and homophobia bubbling just beneath the surface.  In my line of work I  deal with a few like this everyday, and I do my best not to engage. They are not smart, informed or educated, mostly just angry for some reason.

Got to keep the worker drones distracted.

sports, movies, booze, drugs, and hate.

hate is the big one, the go to move, cause it keeps us yokels divided And at each others throats.

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Gun legislation. gun legislation. gun legislation. gun legislation. Followed by carbon tax. Did I mention gun legislation yet? I am not going to get into a debate about the pros and cons of the government legislation, just throwing it out there that rural people look at gun control a LOT differently than urban people.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Gun legislation. gun legislation. gun legislation. gun legislation. Followed by carbon tax. Did I mention gun legislation yet? I am not going to get into a debate about the pros and cons of the government legislation, just throwing it out there that rural people look at gun control a LOT differently than urban people.

Especially ironic because you were originally responding to someone who was pointing out a conversation with a rural person saying that Trudeau should be shot.