Canadian Politics

8 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-senator-friendly-patriotic-ottawa-convoy-1.6361392

How idiots like this get into prominent positions of public office just baffles the **** out of me.

I personally know, as an acquaintance, Conservative Senator Don Plett. Long before he became a senator he was well known as a pretty big slimeball. Not at all surprised the eventual controversy that followed him as a senator - defending residential schools, travelling during the first Covid winter holidays, etc. And worse yet... he's known as a cheater in curling!!!😁

They say the cream rises to the top, but so does the slime. Senators are not immune from being pretty horrible or ignorant people.

Edited by WildPath

On 2022-02-22 at 10:46 AM, JCon said:

Mulroney's gov't carefully crafted this legislation to replace the War Measures Act. It's a good piece of legislation, it's just too bad they had to enact it. 

Mulroney would not be welcomed now.

"Brian Mulroney was honoured Thursday night as the greenest prime minister in Canadian history. 

The Canada-U.S. acid rain treaty is probably the best remembered element of Mulroney's environmental record. But he also introduced an ambitious environmental agenda, created eight new national parks and brought in the Environmental Protection Act. 

Even some of the former prime minister's fiercest critics showed up at Thursday's ceremony in Ottawa. 

Former Liberal environment minister Sheila Copps shared the head table with Mulroney, who was crowned the greenest PM in a survey by Corporate Knights magazine of high-profile environmentalists and others. 

When he left office in 1993, Mulroney boasted about his environmental record, and it was only the environmental award that coaxed him to return to Ottawa for the first time in many years. 

Wants U.S. at the climate-talk table

In his speech, Mulroney said climate change is the most serious environmental challenge and time is running out."

cbc

https://theconversation.com/ottawa-convoy-protest-points-to-a-failure-of-civic-education-in-canada-177271

Pretty eye opening read, IMO. This part hits the nail on the head for me:

If recent history is anything to go by, civic literacy in Canada is in poor shape: According to a 2019 report from the Samara Centre for Democracy, a not-for-profit think tank, only 60 per cent of Canadians could identify their premier in 2015, compared to 90 per cent in 1984.

In 2019, a random sampling of public opinion by The Forum Poll of 1,645 Canadian voters showed that nine out of 10 Canadians would fail the citizenship test given to immigrants to test their basic knowledge about Canada. In 2008, a Dominion Institute and Ipsos Reid poll found that half of Canadians believed that the Prime Minister is elected directly.

52 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://theconversation.com/ottawa-convoy-protest-points-to-a-failure-of-civic-education-in-canada-177271

Pretty eye opening read, IMO. This part hits the nail on the head for me:

So there Is factual evidence of knuckle draggers among us. Shocking. 

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Soooooo.....Trudeau is revoking the Emergencies Act now? Did we not just pass this a couple of days ago? I don't understand what's going on....

It was required to clear the protesters... If that's done, the emergency is over and they don't need it anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Sard said:

It was required to clear the protesters... If that's done, the emergency is over and they don't need it anymore.

I actually think it's really good that their revoking it so quickly.  Takes away the opportunity for those opposed to it to say that Trudeau is abusing his power and taking advantage of the situation. 

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Soooooo.....Trudeau is revoking the Emergencies Act now? Did we not just pass this a couple of days ago? I don't understand what's going on....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-event-feb23-1.6361847

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is revoking the use of the Emergencies Act, the powerful legislative tool that was used to quash the protests and blockades that erupted in Ottawa and at border crossings over recent weeks.

"The situation is no longer an emergency," Trudeau told a news conference.

"We are confident that existing laws and bylaws are now sufficient to keep people safe."

Trudeau said the Governor General will officially sign off on the revocation in the coming hours, ending the state of emergency.

The stick seemed to work. The thing to watch now is whether or not law enforcement in respective jurisdictions will continue to do its job and keep the situation from escalating again.

Yeah, my thought process is "what if they come back again?" But hopefully that's not an issue. The online yapping cons seem to think the Senate was going to vote this down, so he just got out in front of it to try and save face. Really hoping that's not the case. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

my guesses:

a) It looks terrible for Trudeau if his cabinet declares an emergency and the elected government doesn't even review it.  The vote gives legitimacy to a legitimately controversial thing and was conducted in accordance with the law, which may be important for future legal action related to the occupation.  So Parliament has to vote.

b) off-camera investigations / actions may have been facilitated by the Emergency Act -- remember the government is extremely interested in the financing of the occupation.  Might have needed a couple of days to get those closed out.

c) with the Q-trucker occupation banished and its leaders defanged, Trudeau is the main character of this storyline.  "Ottawa calm but Trudeau Clings To Emergency Act" is not a headline the dude wants to own.  Now the headline is "Trudeau ends Emergency Act" which is the outcome that most Canadians want, I think.  Trudeau looks decisive; he rides to the rescue of the feckless Ottawa and Ontario authorities and then he dusts his hands, proclaims mission accomplished, and Canadians are free to tune out. For better or for worse, voters like decisiveness and clean endings.

d) the wingers were pumping a fever dream of a Castroist Trudeau unleashing a cultural revolution backed by Bill Gates, grandma-trampling RCMP horses and genderqueer BLM vaxx squads.  This is a hard storyline to work when your vile dictator has relinquished his emergency powers in accordance with the law.  Lots of winger spin rooms getting a workout today; the one I see most frequently on twitter is how the ending of the Act is a profound diss to Jagmeet Singh.  conservatives concern trolling about Singh is hilarious.

e) Senate vote was a big opportunity for opportunist senators to grandstand and give the Liberals more headaches. This has been defused.  I don't know if this was a credible threat given how sleepy the Senate is, but the right wing media was sure pumping the tires on this angle so maybe it had legs.  You need characters to do a storyline like this and the cons don't have anyone good; Lich and King and the rest of them were swivel-eyed goons, Candice Bergen is clearly in over her head and has no idea how to manage a story of this magnitude, Ford in Toronto isn't going to rock any boats with an election coming, Randy Hillier has strong "jerks off to the Handmaids Tale" energy, etc, etc.

Edited by johnzo

oh, just thought of one more:

f) the truxxers were positioning themselves for a return to Ottawa with rural staging camps to the north, south, east, and west of Ottawa.  Don't have the reports handy but I've read that those camps have largely evaporated.  The end of that threat might be a factor in the timing here.

Edited by johnzo

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, my thought process is "what if they come back again?" But hopefully that's not an issue. The online yapping cons seem to think the Senate was going to vote this down, so he just got out in front of it to try and save face. Really hoping that's not the case. 

They're legally allowed to come back and protest, what they can't do is occupy or blockade streets.  If they do attempt to re-establish their camp, you confiscate their vehicles permanently.

It sounds like there are many protestors driving around downtown Ottawa tonight, flying flags and blowing horns, but it's more of a feeble drive by protest.

20 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-senator-friendly-patriotic-ottawa-convoy-1.6361392

How idiots like this get into prominent positions of public office just baffles the **** out of me.

A prefrontal lobotomy is mandatory for CPC members of parliament before they take their seats.

5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I am not sure how they can wear the badge of fiscally conservative. The pointless lawsuits and expenses to win political points and attempt to make Trudeau look bad keep piling up. The lawsuit against federal marijuana laws and the deal Pallister made with Providence Therapeutics in an attempt to make Trudeau's attempts to secure vaccine supply come to the top of my mind. I haven't heard any updates about the Providence deal since they made the threat to leave Canada, but apparently we gave them a non-refundable deposit when it was obvious to anyone that the feds had vaccine supply incoming.

"A summary of the proposed terms of the agreement with Providence says Manitoba will make a 20 per cent ($7.2 million) non-refundable down payment."

They knew what they were doing was against the law by interfering with collective bargaining but went ahead and did it anyway, knowing full well this would be the outcome.  But Pallister got to kick that can down the road so it's not his problem although I'm sure he would have preferred the NDP be back in power when the bill came due so the PC's can hang the increased spending on them.

'Attempt to interfere:' Former Alberta justice minister officially removed from post

EDMONTON — Suspended Alberta justice minister Kaycee Madu was moved to another cabinet post Friday following a report that concluded he tried to interfere in the administration of justice over a traffic ticket.

© Provided by The Canadian Press
Premier Jason Kenney, in a news release, announced that Madu takes over as labour minister from Tyler Shandro, and Shandro becomes the new justice minister.

“Given (the report’s) findings, and the unique role of the office of the minister of justice and solicitor general, I have concluded that it would be appropriate for minister Madu to step aside from that position,” Kenney wrote.

(But not fired)

11 hours ago, Tracker said:

'Attempt to interfere:' Former Alberta justice minister officially removed from post

EDMONTON — Suspended Alberta justice minister Kaycee Madu was moved to another cabinet post Friday following a report that concluded he tried to interfere in the administration of justice over a traffic ticket.

© Provided by The Canadian Press
Premier Jason Kenney, in a news release, announced that Madu takes over as labour minister from Tyler Shandro, and Shandro becomes the new justice minister.

“Given (the report’s) findings, and the unique role of the office of the minister of justice and solicitor general, I have concluded that it would be appropriate for minister Madu to step aside from that position,” Kenney wrote.

(But not fired)

and it gets worse...Shandro is now on his 3rd portfolio after being investigated in two others. Currently being investigated by the bar association for improper conduct.... that party is a sewage pile. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

and it gets worse...Shandro is now on his 3rd portfolio after being investigated in two others. Currently being investigated by the bar association for improper conduct.... that party is a sewage pile. 

Any other party both Madu and Shandro would have been punted to the back bench. But it's kenney so just keep them in cabinet because that's how cronyism works.