Canadian Politics

Fact-checker torches Chip Roy for circulating false conspiracy about Canadian PM fleeing to the United States

Fact-checkers are pushing back against Rep. Chip Roy's (R-Texas) false claims about Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. According to The Daily Beast, Roy's post stems from a conspiracy about Trudeau fleeing Canada "in fear of a group of truck drivers who are protesting vaccine mandates" in Ottawa, Canada.

In a series of Twitter posts shared on January 31, Roy slammed Trudeau and even called for him to be deported from the states even though he is not in the country. With a photo of Trudeau, Roy tweeted, “Is there a more gutless and cowardly display than a tyrant on the run?”

The following day, he tweeted: "If Justin Trudeau is hiding in the United States, we should return him to Canada and make him face his own people immediately."

He added, "No safe haven for fleeing COVID tyrants. #LiveFree #DeportTrudeau." And he included a graphic that featured a promotional logo for his congressional campaign, a photo of Trudeau, and the words "DEPORT TRUDEAU."

Fact-checker torches Chip Roy for circulating false conspiracy about Canadian PM fleeing to the United States - Alternet.org

12 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Fact-checker torches Chip Roy for circulating false conspiracy about Canadian PM fleeing to the United States

Fact-checkers are pushing back against Rep. Chip Roy's (R-Texas) false claims about Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. According to The Daily Beast, Roy's post stems from a conspiracy about Trudeau fleeing Canada "in fear of a group of truck drivers who are protesting vaccine mandates" in Ottawa, Canada.

In a series of Twitter posts shared on January 31, Roy slammed Trudeau and even called for him to be deported from the states even though he is not in the country. With a photo of Trudeau, Roy tweeted, “Is there a more gutless and cowardly display than a tyrant on the run?”

The following day, he tweeted: "If Justin Trudeau is hiding in the United States, we should return him to Canada and make him face his own people immediately."

He added, "No safe haven for fleeing COVID tyrants. #LiveFree #DeportTrudeau." And he included a graphic that featured a promotional logo for his congressional campaign, a photo of Trudeau, and the words "DEPORT TRUDEAU."

Fact-checker torches Chip Roy for circulating false conspiracy about Canadian PM fleeing to the United States - Alternet.org

Back in the day if you walked around spewing lies, innuendo, half truths and conspiracy drivel you faced much more than just being fact checked and twitter shamed. Times sure have changed.

Just lie see what sticks move on to the next lie smirking away as dolla dolla rolls in. 

Harper managed to win 3 elections and had a majority in 2011 with a slightly higher percentage of the vote than JT got for his majority in 2015. Given how crazy many members of that party seem to be, the fact that he was able to hold that party together and hold power for 10 years might just show he's a genius.

Environmental groups serve Alberta Premier Kenney, government with defamation lawsuit

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Well its a done deal. OToole is out. Bring on the leadership race. I feel bad for Erin, but he just has the charisma of a wet sponge.

Erin O'Toole woke up this Goundhog Day and saw the shadows of his assassins. 

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So Candy "Maga" Bergen is baked interim leader. If I remember correctly that means she's ineligible to become the next official leader right? 

look i want to see a Manitoban run this country but NOT HER (I wonder how many people said that about Stronarch)

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

So Candy "Maga" Bergen is named interim leader. If I remember correctly that means she's ineligible to become the next official leader right? 

If this is any indication as to the direction the party is headed.... It will be nice to see the NDP as the official opposition for a change.

Bernier will be right pissed off though.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We can dismiss these people as crazies, but I am absolutely terrified there's enough of them to get elected, as Trump did south of us. Don't dismiss them.... 

This. The Liberals are not strong at all. They just don't have any real opposition. We don't have a Chretien at the helm this time. 

But, you're looking at this from the 2004 CPC view, not the view of the PCs when the Reform branched off. That's where they are headed. I have no doubt. Maybe, in time, they'll come back together and head back to the middle but today, they are in the process of tearing themselves apart. 

This is same as the end of the Mulroney years. But, Harper is Mulroney this time and the breakup is taking longer. 

Where do you see them picking up seats?  Right now, they'd need 60 for a majority. There is no room for growth in the West, so we have Ontario and Quebec. The party almost never does well in Quebec, the only exceptions being Mulroney in 84 and 88 but he courted what is essentially the Bloc and Dief in 58 but that was Duplessis helping him. Do you see them picking up a huge number of additional seats in Ontario? I agree with JCon, this feels like the early 90s for them.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

This. The Liberals are not strong at all. They just don't have any real opposition. We don't have a Chretien at the helm this time. 

Milliuons of Canadians despise & even hate Trudeau. They feel Trudeau is destroying this country economically & sowing the seeds of discontentment & division. They just seem to have their votes parked somewhere else or have decided not to vote at all because they don't support anyone. If the Conservatives find a leader that has some kind of broad appeal then I can see a rush to the Conservatives that would even run over the PPC as Bernier is seen by many as a wingnut & therefore not worth voting for. The absolute right wing fascists & anti vaxxers which is a rump would still support him.