Canadian Politics

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Maybe she printed out her vac paper after only one shot thus no QR code?

Possible, but how would an MLA in the governing party not know what the rules are, especially if she's dined out multiple times at multiple different restaurants? Her refusing to tell her vaccine status previously certainly gives no reason to just trust that it was an error. I don't think its a huge deal, she claims she's double vaccinated, we'll see when the mandate comes in for legislature. Just another PC MLA thinking the rules don't apply to them.

8 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Possible, but how would an MLA in the governing party not know what the rules are, especially if she's dined out multiple times at multiple different restaurants? Her refusing to tell her vaccine status previously certainly gives no reason to just trust that it was an error. I don't think its a huge deal, she claims she's double vaccinated, we'll see when the mandate comes in for legislature. Just another PC MLA thinking the rules don't apply to them.

Seems to me it’s not enuf to see a vax code they should be matching ID as well.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Seems to me it’s not enuf to see a vax code they should be matching ID as well.

I believe that is supposed to be how it goes. I've heard a range of different levels places check from friends. Airlines, restaurants often not really checking vax status either just verbally or the QR code on its own.

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

And today I learned that East-Asian is a thing.  

So if someone is East Indian....  are they East Indian - South Asian?

If they are Indian, they are South Asian. "East Indian" is a North American reference to those from South Asia to distinguish them from the local Indigenous population. East Indian vs Indian. 

East Asia (East Asians) is Eastern Asia, Like China (and all their claimed territories), the Koreas, and Japan. 

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

And today I learned that East-Asian is a thing.  

So if someone is East Indian....  are they East Indian - South Asian?

Ya that's my take on it. I think the general term 'Asian' was commonly used to describe folks in the far east, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and so on... forgetting that India and Pakistan are Asian countries populated by 'Asian' people, hence the distinction 'East-Asian'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/young-canadians-voting-age-challenge-1.6268431

A group of young Canadians has launched a court challenge to lower Canada's minimum age for voting in federal elections.

On Tuesday, 13 young people from across the country, ranging in age from 12 to 18, filed an application at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice arguing that the section of the Canada Elections Act which bars Canadians under 18 from voting in federal elections is unconstitutional.

The group is making the argument that the rule violates two sections of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms: Section 3, which states that "every citizen of Canada" has the right to vote in an election for members of the House of Commons or a legislative assembly; and Section 15, which states that "every individual is equal before and under the law."

Amelia Penney-Crocker, a 16-year-old from Nova Scotia, got involved in the challenge through Children First Canada, the youth charitable organization backing the effort.

Penney-Crocker told CBC News that with the planet at a "tipping point" because of climate change, young people must have the right to weigh in on what needs to be done to tackle the crisis.

Should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Healthcare system is broken in this Province, doesn't help that woefully incompetent people have been in charge going back years and years. Unfortunately people of this Province are going to pay the ultimate price because of they have sat on their hands for two years and have no idea how to get us back on track and have no vision for future healthcare.

11 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I used to work in the northern region. When there's snow on the highway, visibility can be very poor. Lot's of semi-trucks that shoot up snow and make for white-knuckle driving. When stuck behind a semi, you have to make the choice to follow slowly with low visibility for hours on end or cross your fingers and try to pass the semi with zero visibility and just hope nobody is coming the opposite way.

I drove a big truck very capable on gravel/snow/ice, but all that didn't matter when you literally couldn't see 30 feet ahead and you're passing a 60+ feet truck + trailer. One of the reasons I decided to move back to the south - I just couldn't take the stress and the risk to keep making the drive in winter.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

When it's bad, I prefer to follow the semis. They typically have a better view, up high, and you can follow their lights. Not too closely, of course, but a safe distance and you have lots of time to slow down if they do. 

Definitely the safer thing to do. Any passenger vehicle should be able to stop in less distance than a semi, so the chance of hitting them from behind isn't too high.

Unfortunately choosing to follow a semi when going on #6 rather than pass can add quite a lot of time to your trip since it can be several hours before you get to the destination. Safe is better than sorry, but this is also creates a danger when another vehicle comes from behind you and needs to pass you and the semi. Still agree that its better to remain patient, but it is really hard to do sometimes.