Canadian Politics

I think the results showed that Canadians valued action on climate change and protection from covid (vaccine mandates). Even the CPC drifted left by finally agreeing there should be a price on carbon.

The one good thing about Kenney's disastrous handling of Covid in Alberta is that it may have scared people away from Conservative governments during a pandemic, especially if there is any further bad news relating to variants.

The takeaways from the election:

1. Trudeau had a majority of Canadians supporting him until he decided to call an election in the middle of a pandemic. I suspect he and his advisors decided that the pandemic would be mostly over by mid-September and decided to roll the dice. Such is politics.

2. O'Toole was not a popular enough figurehead to offset core PC ideology that is way behind most Canadian values on abortion, carbon taxing, environment, Medicare, and gun control. The right-wingers will agonize over their losses but cannot see that they will keep wandering in the political wilderness with that mindset.

3. Trudeau did much to disqualify himself from a second term, but I believe that it came down to him being the lesser of evils.

4. The NDP is still not seen as a viable option as a governing federal party.

5. Trudeau will be gone by spring, and the PCs will resort to their traditional back-stabbing of a failed leader by that time as well.  

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

No such thing as a useless election. Every time we get to let our voices be heard is a good thing. 

That nothing changed is OK. They asked the public what they wanted, the public said status quo please.

This.

Politics are dynamic.  It is way to early for people to be saying that nothing has changed, because we don't yet know how Singh's willingness to cooperate might differ going forward.

The Liberals could move left and make the NDP irrelevant forever.

5 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

This.

Politics are dynamic.  It is way to early for people to be saying that nothing has changed, because we don't yet know how Singh's willingness to cooperate might differ going forward.

The Liberals could move left and make the NDP irrelevant forever.

Which could be the only way they secure a majority with the Bloc Quebecois being as prominent as they are.  It will be a balancing act though, too far left and they will alienate ("scare") centrists in the party and across Canada as a whole.  We are a left leaning country but not so far left ..

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

Legalising m.j. will be his signature accomplishment. 

He is the essence of mediocre. 

I guess I'm just a poor rube, I always hoped mediocre would be better.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Carbon pricing too. A clear environmental win for the majority of Canadians. 

All in on eectrification without a power grid that can support it using green energy. Making himself look good internationally but actually accomplishing nothing.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

The takeaways from the election:

1. Trudeau had a majority of Canadians supporting him until he decided to call an election in the middle of a pandemic. I suspect he and his advisors decided that the pandemic would be mostly over by mid-September and decided to roll the dice. Such is politics.

2. O'Toole was not a popular enough figurehead to offset core PC ideology that is way behind most Canadian values on abortion, carbon taxing, environment, Medicare, and gun control. The right-wingers will agonize over their losses but cannot see that they will keep wandering in the political wilderness with that mindset.

3. Trudeau did much to disqualify himself from a second term, but I believe that it came down to him being the lesser of evils.

4. The NDP is still not seen as a viable option as a governing federal party.

5. Trudeau will be gone by spring, and the PCs will resort to their traditional back-stabbing of a failed leader by that time as well.  

3. Absolutely this (as sad as that may be).

5. I don't think his ego will allow him to just leave, will need to be forced out and then like his father will return again when we don't want him.

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

A quote from Winston Churchill" Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the other forms that have been tried". And so it is.

Seventy some years later and still the truth, some solace in all of this BS.

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

Legalising m.j. will be his signature accomplishment. 

Somehow I think PM during pandemic is a lil ahead of that by about 10000%. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

2 more years to make it 10. 

9 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I guess I'm just a poor rube, I always hoped mediocre would be better.

All in on eectrification without a power grid that can support it using green energy. Making himself look good internationally but actually accomplishing nothing.

3. Absolutely this (as sad as that may be).

5. I don't think his ego will allow him to just leave, will need to be forced out and then like his father will return again when we don't want him.

Seventy some years later and still the truth, some solace in all of this BS.

To be honest I don't think that's an option these days I don't ever recall anyone returning after being defeated (I know Joe Clark stuck around for a long time before finally calling it a day)

I'm really curious to see when and how they go about transitioning from Trudeau to Freeland as leader. She's obviously The Next One, but when? I think O'Toole has a longer leash than Scheer, and will be given another election to see if he can make gains. 

All in all, I'm glad the Con's didn't get in, and am hopeful the Libs/Dippers will work together to continue building a more progressive Canada...

8 minutes ago, iHeart said:

To be honest I don't think that's an option these days I don't ever recall anyone returning after being defeated (I know Joe Clark stuck around for a long time before finally calling it a day)

I'm not privy to Liberal back room politics but I don't he steps down on his own and the party brand is damaged by a bitter divorce. "I couldn't get the majority because of the pandemic."

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I'm really curious to see when and how they go about transitioning from Trudeau to Freeland as leader. She's obviously The Next One, but when? I think O'Toole has a longer leash than Scheer, and will be given another election to see if he can make gains. 

All in all, I'm glad the Con's didn't get in, and am hopeful the Libs/Dippers will work together to continue building a more progressive Canada...

I loved how on the CBC broadcast, Rosemary kept emphasizing the more "PROGRESSIVE" parties (talking about the Liberals, NDP, possibly the BQ and the Greens as well).  It sounded like a shot to the Conservatives which made me laugh.

24 minutes ago, Sard said:

I loved how on the CBC broadcast, Rosemary kept emphasizing the more "PROGRESSIVE" parties (talking about the Liberals, NDP, possibly the BQ and the Greens as well).  It sounded like a shot to the Conservatives which made me laugh.

I'm always a fan of that...ha ha. I have no doubts that everyone on the CBC panel is a professional and would never pick a side, but we're all human, and they know who funds public broadcasting, and who aims to defund it. That's not lost on anyone. 

26 minutes ago, Sard said:

But its also why the popular vote arguments make no sense. Even if the Conservatives "win" the popular vote, the vast majority of the country voted for a more progressive agenda.

I'm already seeing "Vote was rigged" and "Just divide the country into libs and cons" posts from people who openly admitted they were voting PPC lol!!! Lots of Salty tears from that crowd right now.

Funny enough, a lot of them were also 1st time voters. I suppose they are finally seeing what happens when you live in an echo chamber but the rest of the country does not. I do remember something about a "purple wave"? Guess that was just kool aid.

Federally I generally vote NDP just because the area I live in now (moved back to the childhood area) is generally NDP. The liberal is non existent here really. I also think their platform makes most sense federally. I don't vote liberal because the lib candidate will never win here federally. 

Provincial it's ndp also

Mayor and councilors? Depends on who I think will do the best for the area  

I guess I'd probably call myself ndp leaning but prefer Trudeau over Singh and am ok with liberals federally because imo they are very ndp like..

Actually on second thought I probably don't really even identify myself with the ndp PC or liberal views... I am what you call a condemolib because they all have things I think are good ideas. Why can't they just work together 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm already seeing "Vote was rigged" and "Just divide the country into libs and cons" posts from people who openly admitted they were voting PPC lol!!! Lots of Salty tears from that crowd right now.

Funny enough, a lot of them were also 1st time voters. I suppose they are finally seeing what happens when you live in an echo chamber but the rest of the country does not. I do remember something about a "purple wave"? Guess that was just kool aid.

Off they go to Berniertown, where dear leader will provide them all salvation and all the koolaid they can drink. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Off they go to Berniertown, where dear leader will provide them all salvation and all the koolaid they can drink. 

He lost his riding 

PPC was a joke and hurt the cons more but thankfully nobody elected. Quite a few votes tho. 

Reality Is mb ab sask can all be leaning  conservative federally but..  We don't have enough seats to matter 

Cdn election over when Ontario and a few regions near Toronto where they have more representatives than mb ab sask combined, are done pretty much. 

BC is pretty orange and red tho 

Parts of Winnipeg also 

Edited by Goalie

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

E_xtX7uVQAIA5Eh?format=jpg&name=small

over in AB provincial polis, Kenney trying to save his skin by re-arranging the chairs on the titanic. Health Minister is turfed with Labour and Immigration Minister gets moved to Health. Presser coming at 3:30....should be very interesting. A lot of in-fighting within the UCP right now. Word on Twitter was 22 MLAs wanted Kenney turfed, and they need 29 to force him out and force an election. He apparently is remaining steadfast and will not go quietly into the good night. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

The American playbook has been adopted. Rigggged! Hopefully it’s nonsense is ignored and washed away quickly.