Canadian Politics

8 hours ago, Wideleft said:

So the CPC will eliminate advertising on CBC TV to prepare it for sale to private interests that will require advertising.  It doesn't take a genius to realize they want to destroy what's left of what they started destroying under Harper.

Local programming is almost unwatchable, not because of bias - but because local news programming and staff were slashed under Harper.  You need staff to create strong programming and it sure doesn't start and end with reporters.

I hear claims of liberal bias in regards to the CBC, but I hear equal claims that they are too conservative and need to get rid of what's left of Harper's board appointees.  If both sides of the spectrum are complaining, it tells me that they're not as biased as some people suggest.

Harper cut their budget by a little under %10 over 3 years I don't call that slashed. People talk like they decimated the CBC . It was less that %10. Trudeau has also added at least some of that back. And that's not why they have such a poor viewership. There are local station news shows that have better ratings every single week. Since I have started checking it out they have never made the top 30.. 1.2 billion is a massive, massive budget. Their local or national  programing is unwatchable because of damn poor management not because of Harper lol. So Global,and CTV can get " watchable news " using the same amout of advertising money as the CBC and CBC can't because they had their "extra budget" reduced by %10.You hear over and over how at news events CTV and Global roll in with a couple of vans and trucks then in roll CBC with 10 or 12.   They are a top heavy, poorly run organization that rarely has to answer for either their spending or their ratings. To claim they aren't biased against the CPC  especially during the 1st  few years of Trudeau is ridiculous. Even during this debate when the CBC had their chance to ask O'Toole a question they 1st made a long recital of what the Liberal platform was on regarding her question then said  " so what is yours " . That was utterly deliberate.  All they had to do was ask how his differed from the Liberals. And just to frame this I have no intention to vote CPC I'm voting NDP. in this election.

23 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Not the best retort. Not the worst. I probably would have said...

Spoiler

...least I'm getting laid tonight!

What did people think of EOT's comment about his military services vs Trudeau's?

Had a Starship Troopers thought soon as he said it.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

10 hours ago, JCon said:

Amazing job by O'Toole to keep Kenney, Moe, Pallister and Ford hidden for the past month. Can't let anyone remember what a disaster our country would be if the Conservatives were in charge of the entire country over the past 19 months. They would have tried to kill us all, if they could have. 

Seriously, they want you dead:

The worst part is he could literally say Trudeau created Covid so he can implement a communist regime and turn the country into China and he would still handily win his seat. I'm not even sure if that would cause more votes or less votes.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Protesters target Kenney at Calgary Stampede over gay-straight alliances |  Globalnews.ca

Except here in Alberta. . 

but here's the thing......and I say this with the preface that I absolutely ADORE so much about Alberta.................but Alberta is not Canada. Yes, it is currently a province within Canada..........but Alberta is NOT Canada. It's a whole other thing.....

11 hours ago, the watcher said:

Harper cut their budget by a little under %10 over 3 years I don't call that slashed. People talk like they decimated the CBC . It was less that %10. Trudeau has also added at least some of that back. And that's not why they have such a poor viewership. There are local station news shows that have better ratings every single week. Since I have started checking it out they have never made the top 30.. 1.2 billion is a massive, massive budget. Their local or national  programing is unwatchable because of damn poor management not because of Harper lol. So Global,and CTV can get " watchable news " using the same amout of advertising money as the CBC and CBC can't because they had their "extra budget" reduced by %10.You hear over and over how at news events CTV and Global roll in with a couple of vans and trucks then in roll CBC with 10 or 12.   They are a top heavy, poorly run organization that rarely has to answer for either their spending or their ratings. To claim they aren't biased against the CPC  especially during the 1st  few years of Trudeau is ridiculous. Even during this debate when the CBC had their chance to ask O'Toole a question they 1st made a long recital of what the Liberal platform was on regarding her question then said  " so what is yours " . That was utterly deliberate.  All they had to do was ask how his differed from the Liberals. And just to frame this I have no intention to vote CPC I'm voting NDP. in this election.

A 10% cut while costs are always rising is not insignificant, especially when you consider that CBC was at the forefront of providing digital news and media to Canadians during this time.  Also take into account that CBC lost major ad revenue (anywhere from 50 to 175 million) when they lost the NHL contract in 2013. 

You might be surprised at how much it costs to produce a single episode for television. Now consider that CBC's mandate is to provide content for all Canadians in English and French on Radio and Television.  It also provides streaming music and other digital content for free to Canadians.

I won't even touch the 10 or 12 trucks comment because it goes beyond hyperbole.  I know enough people who worked at CBC to know that local news programming has been slashed to the point where it is almost impossible to deliver any kind of quality news daily.  

As for non-news ratings, if you want more Big Brother and Real Housewives in your TV menu, have at it.  I'm glad there is programming for thinking people.

I'll repeat that both sides of the political spectrum are complaining about CBC bias, so maybe your problem isn't with the CBC.

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

...problem isn't with the CBC.

It's with mistrust of "mainstream" media in general, IMO. However, that speaks to a much broader issue in terms of media literacy and it's an issue that doesn't just affect Canada. Our proximity to the US helps nothing, as that dumpster fire burns hot and bright enough to negatively influence our sociopolitical and media landscapes.

Those who seem not to trust what's reported by major news/media outlets in Canada rarely, if ever, substantiate their claims of political bias or favouritism with anything of substance. Anecdotal or hyperbolic statements isn't evidence, much in the same way opinion pieces aren't. Factual reporting should be what matters above all else and the Big 3 here in Canada (CBC News, CTV News, and Global News) all have solid reputations of verifiably factual reporting.

Anyway, speaking of the Murica Dumpster Fire burning Canada:

What an oxygen thief.

3 hours ago, Wideleft said:

A 10% cut while costs are always rising is not insignificant, especially when you consider that CBC was at the forefront of providing digital news and media to Canadians during this time.  Also take into account that CBC lost major ad revenue (anywhere from 50 to 175 million) when they lost the NHL contract in 2013. 

You might be surprised at how much it costs to produce a single episode for television. Now consider that CBC's mandate is to provide content for all Canadians in English and French on Radio and Television.  It also provides streaming music and other digital content for free to Canadians.

I won't even touch the 10 or 12 trucks comment because it goes beyond hyperbole.  I know enough people who worked at CBC to know that local news programming has been slashed to the point where it is almost impossible to deliver any kind of quality news daily.  

As for non-news ratings, if you want more Big Brother and Real Housewives in your TV menu, have at it.  I'm glad there is programming for thinking people.

I'll repeat that both sides of the political spectrum are complaining about CBC bias, so maybe your problem isn't with the CBC.

I'm not exactly sure what you are alluding to in your last comment. I  am discussing CBC news . As far as the the other programs you mentioned, I've never watched a single episode of them or anything like them.You are blaming a cut in government funding on  a lack of quality news broadcasting. Their competition doesn't get that government funding. Yet most Canadians prefer the nonfunded news .They prefer CTV and Global National news. They prefer CTV and Global local news. That is not the fault of a %10 cut

Edited by the watcher

If there was ever a crown corporation that needs a revamp and should be defunded it is the CBC. I am not in favor of crown's privatizing but I would be in the case of the CBC. That place is just a feedbag of patronage appointments with no accountability to the taxpayer whatsoever.

I think this election was wholly unecessary and I am thankful that it appears whoever wins will have a slim minority and will likely not call an election for the next 4 years. In all likelihood, we will be back at this within the next 2 years but the government will have to walk into that election on a vote of non confidence if it is to do so.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If there was ever a crown corporation that needs a revamp and should be defunded it is the CBC. I am not in favor of crown's privatizing but I would be in the case of the CBC. That place is just a feedbag of patronage appointments with no accountability to the taxpayer 

I don't want them " sold off " or privatized. But, yes they need to be accountable. They have gone from the news that everyone watched to the news no one watches. That hasn't happened overnight because of cuts.  

It seems to be an untouchable subject around here. Apparently  I am not a thinking person now because I don't think the CBC is up to snuff lol.  

The south is rising...

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/federal-election/manitoba-mp-apologizes-for-erroneous-comments-on-covid-19-vaccines-575316582.html

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/fourth-pc-leadership-hopeful-faces-tight-nomination-deadline-575317312.html

"Dr. Roussin has failed Manitobans," reads one line that takes up an entire page of Ken Lee’s campaign site, referring to Dr. Brent Roussin, who’s been in charge of the Manitoba’s public health response since the start of the pandemic.

The campaign platform lists several points, including: "no vaccine passports, vaccination not a job requirement, churches and businesses — all essential, added protection for the vulnerable, increase hospital ICU capacity."

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The south is rising...

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/federal-election/manitoba-mp-apologizes-for-erroneous-comments-on-covid-19-vaccines-575316582.html

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/fourth-pc-leadership-hopeful-faces-tight-nomination-deadline-575317312.html

"Dr. Roussin has failed Manitobans," reads one line that takes up an entire page of Ken Lee’s campaign site, referring to Dr. Brent Roussin, who’s been in charge of the Manitoba’s public health response since the start of the pandemic.

The campaign platform lists several points, including: "no vaccine passports, vaccination not a job requirement, churches and businesses — all essential, added protection for the vulnerable, increase hospital ICU capacity."

Mr. Lee heading after that PPC vote.

It will be an interesting evening, that's for sure. I'm very curious to see how the GTA sorts itself out. And, if the NDP or Liberals can flip some seats in AB. What happens in the Lower Mainland? What about some key ridings in Winnipeg? Quebec, status quo? 

Mail-in ballots start getting counted when the polls close. I wonder how long those will take, given the high volume? 

25 minutes ago, JCon said:

It will be an interesting evening, that's for sure. I'm very curious to see how the GTA sorts itself out. And, if the NDP or Liberals can flip some seats in AB. What happens in the Lower Mainland? What about some key ridings in Winnipeg? Quebec, status quo? 

Mail-in ballots start getting counted when the polls close. I wonder how long those will take, given the high volume? 

hopefully not as long as it did in the most recent US election