Canadian Politics

40 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Gotta give him credit for canning 64. Not much of a surprise though - they were clearly a long way from implementation. 

I am cynical enough to believe that the Tories introduced what was certain to be unpopular legislation with the knowledge that Pallister was as popular as cooties and would have to leave. That way, the pending premier/party leader could disavow Bill 64 and claim to be listening to the will of the people. Such is politics.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

I am cynical enough to believe that the Tories introduced what was certain to be unpopular legislation with the knowledge that Pallister was as popular as cooties and would have to leave. That way, the pending premier/party leader could disavow Bill 64 and claim to be listening to the will of the people. Such is politics.

My friend has expressed a similar belief. I don't think some as arrogant and conceited as Pallister would allow himself to be the sacrificial lamb, but its possible.

I think its more likely that they introduced tons of legislation, purposely blocked the public and other parties from seeing it until the last possible minute, knowing they would only be able to hold 5 bills back. The more outrageous the legislation the better as that meant a lot of other garbage would pass while outrage would only be around the 5 bills.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

My friend has expressed a similar belief. I don't think some as arrogant and conceited as Pallister would allow himself to be the sacrificial lamb, but its possible.

I think its more likely that they introduced tons of legislation, purposely blocked the public and other parties from seeing it until the last possible minute, knowing they would only be able to hold 5 bills back. The more outrageous the legislation the better as that meant a lot of other garbage would pass while outrage would only be around the 5 bills.

And here...I thought I had a cynical view of things...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/french-language-tva-debate-1.6163385

The main party leaders appeared on stage for the first time Thursday in a French-language debate that was at times raucous as the four men fiercely competed for votes in a province that could very well decide who is Canada's next prime minister.

The two-hour debate, hosted by TVA, a major broadcaster in Quebec, was a chance for Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau to regain some of the momentum he had earlier this summer when polls showed he had a massive lead in the country's second largest province.

CBC's Poll Tracker still has Trudeau and the Liberals ahead of others in Quebec but the margin has narrowed.

The Conservatives have opened a five-point lead and leader Erin O'Toole has surpassed Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau in popularity among voters, giving the Conservatives clear momentum going into the holiday weekend, according to nightly tracking conducted by Nanos Research for CTV News and the Globe and Mail.

JT gonna need to reapply the Teflon.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

On 2021-09-03 at 10:40 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The Conservatives have opened a five-point lead and leader Erin O'Toole has surpassed Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau in popularity among voters, giving the Conservatives clear momentum going into the holiday weekend, according to nightly tracking conducted by Nanos Research for CTV News and the Globe and Mail.

JT gonna need to reapply the Teflon.

This is such a tough election to call.Theres a ton of what ifs , maybe and it depends. Which  demographics and voters will turn out and which won't because of Covid ? How angry are people at the election being held now ? Will the Conservatives lose votes to  the PPC due to the Anti crowd ? Will the Liberals lose votes to the NDP ? Do the Covid fighting  successes or failures of provincial governments turn people on or off certain Federal parties ? Are the early trends going to continue ?  I'd be surprised if it's not a minority for someone again.  It's interesting if nothing else.

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

It'll definitely be a minority and if the Cons win, the Grits loss be one of the most epic failures in modern election history. 

Gotta think Trudeau signed his exit papers regardless. Snap election to get a majority and fail to do that, yeah a guy doesn't survive that.

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

You went from definitely to if in 4 words :D

The libs could win a minority too you know.

The polls seem close enough that everybody can claim they are trending well.  This election seems set up for someone to have an epic crash. Some PC candidate with flapping gums saying what he shouldn't ?  Trudeau  with yet another scandal ?   More trouble in the world that exposes the weakness of various wannabe Mps ?  Will the Liberals pull the " very scary " card again or the " a vote for the NDP is a vote for the PCs "  card again ? Can OToole  keep the more Looney candidates caged up ?

Tune in next week for " As the Canada Turns ". 

Edited by the watcher

Just now, the watcher said:

Wouldn't it be awesome if he got Covid ?  I also don't believe he isn't vaccinated. The guy will say anything to get elected.

This guy appeals to so many right wing nutters. Half the PC party were ready to make him their leader and he would probably still get as many votes if another leadership vote happened today.