Canadian Politics

Just now, Dascow said:

"He continued that the FBI has seen Antifa engage in "organized tactical activity" at the local and regional level. Its adherents have coalesced and worked together in "nodes" rather than a structured hierarchy across the country."

"The type of organization does not diminish how serious the FBI considers the threat" 

I made it bigger for you to help you understand.

Maybe I'll make it bigger for you,...

But, he said, “It’s not a group or an organization. It’s a movement or an ideology.”

Should I highlight it too or are we good?

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

Maybe I'll make it bigger for you,...

But, he said, “It’s not a group or an organization. It’s a movement or an ideology.”

Should I highlight it too or are we good?

🤣 The point seems to be flying right over your head.

Antifa are not an "organization", as in they do not have a hierarchical structure. They are decentralized. Kind of like ISIS.

But they are organized. The point that they are not an "organization" is completely irrelevant because they are still dangerous and are still a threat, which is what the director of the FBI is stating.

3 minutes ago, Dascow said:

🤣 The point seems to be flying right over your head.

Antifa are not an "organization", as in they do not have a hierarchical structure. They are decentralized. Kind of like ISIS.

But they are organized. The point that they are not an "organization" is completely irrelevant because they are still dangerous and are still a threat, which is what the director of the FBI is stating.

AS an aside, I would not trust the FBI to be independent in their assessment of Antifa or any similar socially conscious or left-wing movement. They are very reactionary and right-biased, having surveilled MLK, protesters against fracking,  MOVE  and any attempts to mobilize the votes of coloured people and even gay and animal liberation organizations, but keep away from the Proud Boys and so forth. 

On 2021-08-24 at 9:07 AM, JCon said:

That's fast. But, they made the barrier to entry very high, so it's a Stefanson coronation. I thought they would go for a broad campaign, welcoming new people and ideas but that's clearly not the case. Hand the reigns to Stefanson and let her take the party into the next election. 

Looks like they are going to have competition despite stacking the deck in Stefanson's favour.

Former MP Shelly Glover plans to enter PC leadership race | CBC News

40 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Looks like they are going to have competition despite stacking the deck in Stefanson's favour.

Former MP Shelly Glover plans to enter PC leadership race | CBC News

I don't see Glover as much competition to Stefanson. There will be an element of the party that will want a "fresh start" away from current crop of MLAs/Ministers but I don't think it will be big enough. I would gladly take Heather over Shelly. 

The PCs are not in as bad shape as everyone thinks.

Edited by JCon
Typo

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't see Glover as much competition to Stefanson. There will be an element of the party that will want a "fresh start" away from current crop of MLAs/Ministers but I don't think it will be big enough. I would gladly take Heather or Shelly. 

Often the target of dislike/ blame / anger has been aimed directly at Pallister himself. This could really benefit his replacement .Especially if they come across as more central, less hard line right wing.

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't see Glover as much competition to Stefanson. There will be an element of the party that will want a "fresh start" away from current crop of MLAs/Ministers but I don't think it will be big enough. I would gladly take Heather or Shelly. 

Yeah it's Stefanson's race to lose but they were obviously hoping nobody would challenge them when they set the requirements the way they did.  

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah it's Stefanson's race to lose but they were obviously hoping nobody would challenge them when they set the requirements the way they did.  

I think they just wanted a small race. Keep it to two or three candidates. Keep it small. Enjoy the boost they'll get with the attention and hope it doesn't deteriorate. 

I'm surprised they're moving so fast. Either the exec wants Brian out fast or he does. I bet it's a bit of both. 

I'm a bit disappointed that Squires isn't running. She's a good one, IMO. 

• She's very intelligent.
  • She reads everything and asks the great questions. 
  • She changes her mind when she learns new things.
  • She applies her life experience to her work. 
  • She's not a bad politician but doesn't have a ton of experience. 
Edited by JCon

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-protest-racist-death-threat-sexist-1.6157617

For the second time in a week, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has had a campaign event disrupted by protesters shouting obscenities, uttering death threats against the prime minister and hurling racist and misogynist insults at people of colour and women in his protective detail.   

While making a stump speech to promote his party's climate change policies in Cambridge, Ont., Sunday morning, the Liberals were forced to delay Trudeau's appearance for an hour because of the disruptions.

Signs brandished by angry protesters displayed slogans such as "Who benefits from the lock down?" and the "Liberals ruined the country," with one protester shouting through a megaphone decked out with the name; "InfoWars," a U.S.-based far-right conspiracy theory website. 

When the event did start, it was disrupted by honking horns and foul and threatening language hurled from a crowd of people -- almost all of whom were unmasked and were not maintaining physical distance from one another. 

Always good to see Murican-style politics bleed onto the landscape here... Because it's worked so well down there.

I am so sick of these misinformed spreadneck assclowns. Nothing but a gang of petulant ***** blinded by privilege and ignorance.

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-protest-racist-death-threat-sexist-1.6157617

Always good to see Murican-style politics bleed onto the landscape here... Because it's worked so well down there.

I am so sick of these misinformed spreadneck assclowns. Nothing but a gang of petulant ***** blinded by privilege and ignorance.

I would bet that if the origin of these jackhole groups was explored, the path would lead back to the PC party adherents.

48 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I would bet that if the origin of these jackhole groups was explored, the path would lead back to the PC party adherents.

There were a couple of the protestors that were found to be working on a PC candidate's campaign. They immediately  got the boot . Both  O'Toole and Singh have made public statements condemning the actions of these people. This is the difference between the USA and Canada.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

people on vancouver island are painting swastikas on liberal signs. 

there are a lot of hillbilly dolts on vancouver island. absolute white trash, and I am not referring to how much money they make.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

people on vancouver island are painting swastikas on liberal signs. 

there are a lot of hillbilly dolts on vancouver island. absolute white trash, and I am not referring to how much money they make.

I was just in Victoria for a week and saw an NDP sign on the way to the ferry vandalized to say something about kommunists. Yes with a K. The best and brightest making their voices heard I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Anyone else feel like a premier stepping down should trigger an immediate election? Just me?

Nah. Leadership change usually results in a bump so the party likes it. Unfortunately for the PC's the bump is 2 years too soon.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Yes. We should have the Premier that we elected. 

Except we don’t vote for a Premier, we vote for a party. The party appoints a leader from within to be its figurehead (at least that’s the rationale to avoid the automatic election, personally I agree that if you step down an section should be called within a couple of months). 

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Except we don’t vote for a Premier, we vote for a party. The party appoints a leader from within to be its figurehead (at least that’s the rationale to avoid the automatic election, personally I agree that if you step down an section should be called within a couple of months). 

The debate over Wab Kinew and what it means for whether or not people will vote NDP runs counter to that assessment.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole-climate-plan-northern-gateway-1.6158384

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole today defended his plan to roll back Canada's climate change reduction targets, saying he has a credible plan to slash greenhouse gas emissions while the Liberal Party has promised a lot but failed to deliver in six years of government.

If elected, O'Toole said, he will push the reset button on Canada's climate change plan, returning to the previous national target of reducing emissions by 30 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030. Earlier this year, the Liberal government dumped that goal and committed to deeper cuts, promising to bring emissions down by 40 to 45 per cent by the end of the decade.

Asked why he's promising a less ambitious target at a time when UN scientists are warning that urgent action is needed now to avoid the worst effects of climate change, O'Toole said Canada must balance environmental action with a strong economy. 

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

The debate over Wab Kinew and what it means for whether or not people will vote NDP runs counter to that assessment.

I know from a practical sense we do vote for a leader, not a party, just providing the political rationale for why a leader stepping down won’t trigger an election - the rules will argue that we vote for the PCs, not for Pallister directly.