Canadian Politics

16 hours ago, bustamente said:

None of the options on the Manitoba political landscape gives me any confidence they are all hacks in it for themselves, politicians gotta politician.

Disagree.  You can draw a direct line between party policy and most politicians' ambitions.  There's a certain party that believes that the strongest should survive and screw everyone else.  

It's not a big jump to guess at their own motivations from there.

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Disagree.  You can draw a direct line between party policy and most politicians' ambitions.  There's a certain party that believes that the strongest should survive and screw everyone else.  

It's not a big jump to guess at their own motivations from there.

Strongest being defined by a particular ethnicity and a certain amount of wealth. But, mentally very weak and fragile. 

Speaking of living in fear and dogwhistles...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole-mandatory-vaccine-1.6137392

In a statement released late Tuesday, Conservative MP David Yurdiga, who represents Fort McMurray, Alta. in the Commons, said a government plan to study the value of making vaccination mandatory for federal bureaucrats was "another example of the Liberals using severe government overreach for political gain."

Yurdiga said forcing these workers to get a vaccine is a "tyrannical" idea that should give all Canadians pause.

"Canadians deserve the right to liberty, whether they choose to be vaccinated or not. Mandating the vaccine as a requirement to work would be the beginning of a slippery slope," Yurdiga said.

The MP said such a policy would be discriminatory, punishing Canadians for "what they choose to do with their bodies."

I'm not saying I feel bad for O'Toole but it's gotta be so tiring trying to rein in some these alt-right turdnuggets in his party.

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'm not saying I feel bad for O'Toole but it's gotta be so tiring trying to rein in some these alt-right turdnuggets in his party.

That guy is a perfect encapsulation of the Alberta populace.... 

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah cause there are no laws that punish people for what they choose to do with their own bodies already....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/election-call-trudeau-1.6138794

Voters can expect to head to the polls for a federal election on Sept. 20, CBC News has learned.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is planning to visit Rideau Hall on Sunday to ask that Parliament be dissolved, say sources with knowledge of his plans who spoke to CBC News on the condition they not be named.

Those sources said the prime minister is expected to announce a 36-day campaign — the minimum campaign length permitted by law — meaning voting day would be Monday, Sept. 20.

News of the call has been reported already by Reuters and La Presse.

But Why GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

This election will be decided by NDP voters.  If more of them vote for the Liberals, Trudeau wins a majority.  The Conservative base is what it is. Their only chance is a strong showing from the NDP sucking votes away from the Liberals, but even then, it will be a Liberal minority.  

23 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Covid cases on the rise & Trudeau will call an election?? 

This is all about the polls and has nothing to do with the Liberals agenda. They have largely done whatever they've wanted to do over the past two years, with little pushback from the opposition, despite it being a minority gov't. 

They know that they have this window where the opposition is largely disliked and are poor. Liberals have money and think they will win a majority. 

As much I would love to punish them, I have only two parties to vote for in this constituency - the Libs and the Cons. I can't vote for the anti-science, alt-right Cons, so I guess I have to vote for the Libs. I'm not even sure who the NDP will run out this time here. 

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is all about the polls and has nothing to do with the Liberals agenda. They have largely done whatever they've wanted to do over the past two years, with little pushback from the opposition, despite it being a minority gov't. 

They know that they have this window where the opposition is largely disliked and are poor. Liberals have money and think they will win a majority. 

As much I would love to punish them, I have only two parties to vote for in this constituency - the Libs and the Cons. I can't vote for the anti-science, alt-right Cons, so I guess I have to vote for the Libs. I'm not even sure who the NDP will run out this time here. 

Cons will win by 20 000 - 30 000 votes, out here in Selkirk Interlake. But I guess I shall drag myself to the polling station...regardless...

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

The Conservative base is what it is.

I am not sure sure about that. In Alberta for example Jason Kenney has done tremendous damage to the conservative brand among moderates and I can only assume the same has happened in Ontario. I just think that the conservatives lately have take some very unpopular stances and doubled down on them and it's turning people off of them as a moderate option. The Liberals handled covid pretty well so there's not a lot of room for them to be attacked on that. I can see the conservatives bleeding a ton of support to the Liberals truth be told. I don't think the NDP has won enough hearts and minds to sway people who voted liberal towards them. 

In my opinion, as flimsy as that may be, this is a slam dunk for the Liberals to get a majority without much work needed. 

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I am not sure sure about that. In Alberta for example Jason Kenney has done tremendous damage to the conservative brand among moderates and I can only assume the same has happened in Ontario. I just think that the conservatives lately have take some very unpopular stances and doubled down on them and it's turning people off of them as a moderate option. The Liberals handled covid pretty well so there's not a lot of room for them to be attacked on that. I can see the conservatives bleeding a ton of support to the Liberals truth be told. I don't think the NDP has won enough hearts and minds to sway people who voted liberal towards them. 

In my opinion, as flimsy as that may be, this is a slam dunk for the Liberals to get a majority without much work needed. 

With Trudeau at the helm?  Absolutely not.

Ontario might see some conservative ridings shift to the Liberals. 

Winnipeg or Regina might do the same, but most (if not all) of the prairies will stay blue.

And as far as Covid is concerned, it's just not a big deal to people anymore. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Im thinking same IF theres an election. Still dont see it. Out $50 if so.

Provincially the Cons in ONT/AB/MB not looking so good so...

Also factor in Teflon Trudeau.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Followed by the traditional backstabbing of the PC leader after the usual wringing of hands by the PC rank and file all the while claiming that they did not see this coming and have no idea how it happened.

Edited by Tracker