Canadian Politics

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Not a good start for the new minister. The lack of empathy or ability to read the current situation is simply amazing.

At first i was thinking this was a recorded address from the past. When I realized it was from today, my reaction was -You've got to be ******* kidding me to be that tone deaf at this point, let alone speaking as the Minister responsible. What the **** was he thinking by even saying that, thinking it would fly? What the **** was Pallister thinking picking this guy?

3 hours ago, itchy said:

At first i was thinking this was a recorded address from the past. When I realized it was from today, my reaction was -You've got to be ******* kidding me to be that tone deaf at this point, let alone speaking as the Minister responsible. What the **** was he thinking by even saying that, thinking it would fly? What the **** was Pallister thinking picking this guy?

It has been the hallmark of PC governments that they cannot maintain any degree of integrity beyond one term.  The current government of Saskatchewan is an anomaly in that respect, but the arrogance and disdain Conservatives hold the electorate in inevitably, sooner or later- almost always sooner, emerges. 

I believe Global has the whole 14 and a half minute presser. So many WTF moments. Clearly not prepped at all. What's worse is reconciliation is the first word in the new job title which seems to signify the most important job and he says people in charge of residential schools had good intentions. How can you be so ignorant?

12 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I believe Global has the whole 14 and a half minute presser. So many WTF moments. Clearly not prepped at all. What's worse is reconciliation is the first word in the new job title which seems to signify the most important job and he says people in charge of residential schools had good intentions. How can you be so ignorant?

At first I only saw the small clip, then I watched the whole thing. Could not believe some of the other crap too.

"The individuals that came here, came to build a better Canada"

He talked about the deaths of children being from a poor physical environment - poor ventilation, malnourishment, overcrowding, TB.

"Different perspectives were held on both sides of history. You as reporters need to do your jobs to get to the truth"

Stuff like this is apparently not new to this guy. I've heard from people with connections to him that he spouts off some pretty ignorant views.

I can't find the screenshot to post it, and it has since been deleted but the PC Caucus twitter released a pretty cringey statement after that. "The political showmanship of storming into someone else's press conference to bully a Minister who was sworn in only 10 minutes earlier does nothing to advance reconciliation"

We really need a puke reaction for this thread.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The ship is sinking, and its everyone for themselves.  I am just surprised that a) Pallister was able to convince any aboriginal people to work with a party whose record on inclusivity is marginal at best and b) that it took this long for Pallister's leadership style to chafe people enough to revolt.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/right-wing-extremism-report-1.6108958

Online activity by right-wing extremists in Canada rose last year during the pandemic, despite efforts by governments and social media companies to curb extremism and hate speech, according to a new report.

The report also found that right-wing extremists in Canada are being influenced by their increasingly violent counterparts in the U.S.

"This raises the concern that an emboldened and increasingly violent extreme right in the U.S. could help to inspire similar activity in Canada, as Canadian right-wing extremists look to their U.S. counterparts for inspiration," wrote the authors of the new report from the U.K.-based Institute for Strategic Dialogue, set to be made public later this week.

The report charted an increase in extreme right-wing activity in 2020 compared to what the Institute for Strategic Dialogue found when it first looked at the problem in 2019.

"The pandemic has ... created a febrile environment for radicalization, by ensuring that millions of people have spent more time online," the authors wrote. "In an environment of heightened anxiety, the situation has been an easy one for extremists to capitalize on.

"As a result of the pandemic, extremist conspiracy theories have flourished, and minority communities — in particular Asians — have been subject to increased hate crimes and harassment."

Not really surprising news, but it's unfortunate all the same.

18 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Excellent job by Wab Kinew - I just took the time to listen again.  For them to try labeling that as bullying - is beyond tone deaf. 

At the least he needed to be interrupted for being insensitive, unaware and politically stupid. I don't blame Kinew at all for not being able to sit and listen to that given current circumstances 

28 minutes ago, the watcher said:

At the least he needed to be interrupted for being insensitive, unaware and politically stupid. I don't blame Kinew at all for not being able to sit and listen to that given current circumstances 

As an Honorary Witness to the TRC, Kinew was obligated to speak up at that moment.  This seems lost on so many people.

• 2 weeks later...

It just keeps getting better and better: Winnipeg Free Press reports that Pallister directed his staff to hire a private investigator to dig up dirt on Wab Kinew, and to keep going until they found something. The PC party paid for the PI, but was directed by civil service staff from Pallister's office.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

It just keeps getting better and better: Winnipeg Free Press reports that Pallister directed his staff to hire a private investigator to dig up dirt on Wab Kinew, and to keep going until they found something. The PC party paid for the PI, but was directed by civil service staff from Pallister's office.

He's got a little bit of that Trump blurring the lines between public funds / personal and private interest. I'm especially unhappy with the $150,000 of public funds spent on bill 64 propaganda promotion. I guess that's what called for when you have a "vocal minority" that oppose the bill.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/under-pressure-province-spends-in-defence-of-bill-64-574887232.html

• 2 weeks later...

holy craperoni, Pallister will not seek another term,

I know he did say something along the lines of he would be staying on as long as this pandemic was going on (or something similar to that) but it sounds like he's serious. I don't remember the last time we got a new Premier and a new Mayor within a year of each other (well technically the closest we came was in 2014 and 2016)

Edited by iHeart

30 minutes ago, iHeart said:

holy craperoni, Pallister will not seek another term,

I know he did say something along the lines of he would be staying on as long as this pandemic was going on (or something similar to that) but it sounds like he's serious. I don't remember the last time we got a new Premier and a new Mayor within a year of each other (well technically the closest we came was in 2014 and 2016)

Cons got 2 more years of funs.

3 minutes ago, iHeart said:

So what now do they search for a new party leader before he calls the election?

Yup. No need for them to call an election. 

I guess I'm getting a new MLA, who won't live in my area or even be able to find it on the map. 

So, what will probably happen is Brian will step aside very soon. October? The party will install an interim leader and new Premier, while the candidates work through the campaign. 

They'll have a spring campaign to choose a new leader and that leader will get some months at the helm until the election. 

Edited by JCon

14 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

@JConsums it up nicely, Pallister steps aside in the fall, leadership race and new leader in Spring 2022, election fall of 2023 giving the new leader time to establish themselves as somebody new.

This had been predicter for some time. Pallister could only pretend to be competent for so long and now he will take the bullet while the rest of the PCs hope that the smell will leave with him. No doubt there is a golden parachute waiting for him.