Canadian Politics

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

it's such an Alberta move to privatize provincial parks. Absolutely sickening.

Agreed. Should not have happened. However, this was also a park left to rot by the NDP after the 2011 flood.  It was gross and needed massive rehabilitation. While I do not give the PCs a free pass for going to the private sector, I am also sickened by the NDP's complete abandonment and refusal to do anything about many provincial parks that suffered extensive damage by flooding in 2011. I don't want a government that privatizes provincial parks but I also do not want a government that refuses to invest in and restore them. Our provincial campgrounds are badly in need of modernization and I hope that the government of Manitoba, whoever it is, will invest properly in them and keep them public.

15 hours ago, Mark F said:

If there was a way to privatise air, the right would be in favour.

...and the left would want to tax it. In fact. carbon taxes is pretty much taxing air. Well done comrades.

Edited by GCn20

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Agreed. Should not have happened. However, this was also a park left to rot by the NDP after the 2011 flood.  It was gross and needed massive rehabilitation. While I do not give the PCs a free pass for going to the private sector, I am also sickened by the NDP's complete abandonment and refusal to do anything about many provincial parks that suffered extensive damage by flooding in 2011. I don't want a government that privatizes provincial parks but I also do not want a government that refuses to invest in and restore them. Our provincial campgrounds are badly in need of modernization and I hope that the government of Manitoba, whoever it is, will invest properly in them and keep them public.

...and the left would want to tax it. In fact. carbon taxes is pretty much taxing air. Well done comrades.

So when companies knowingly pollute a river, and are charged for it. Is that like taxing water?

I'm guessing that the Tories have decided that they are probably going to lose the next election, so Palister & Co. have decided to enrich their buddies. I saw that in the last days of the Devine government in Saskatchewan and in the last days of Gary Filmon's Reign of Error. They're PCs. That's what they do.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I'm guessing that the Tories have decided that they are probably going to lose the next election, so Palister & Co. have decided to enrich their buddies. I saw that in the last days of the Devine government in Saskatchewan and in the last days of Gary Filmon's Reign of Error. They're PCs. That's what they do.

It's not just a PC thing. Chretien 2 million to his buddy to open a golf course. And others. And Trudeau the 1st  was  probably the King of patronage payments especially as he left office.

I'm really curious to see the next provincial  poll . The Pcs numbers were in freefall in the last one and it seems to me they have really crashed and burned since. I imagine they will leave the next election as long as they can. So another 2 and a half years ?  You can stir up alot of **** in 2 1/2 years. Or tear down alot of **** might be more accurate.

23 minutes ago, the watcher said:

I'm really curious to see the next provincial  poll . The Pcs numbers were in freefall in the last one and it seems to me they have really crashed and burned since. I imagine they will leave the next election as long as they can. So another 2 and a half years ?  You can stir up alot of **** in 2 1/2 years. Or tear down alot of **** might be more accurate.

I wonder if there will be a boost for them for when we are able to really loosen up restrictions more. There should be loads of optimism around and I wonder if they'll be the beneficiary of some of that. As horrible as they've handled the pandemic, within the last week they've brought vaccine cards along with associated privileges and extending the vaccine lotteries to all people vaccinated, rather than just the remaining unvaccinated. Two things I could have seen them screwing up.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I wonder if there will be a boost for them for when we are able to really loosen up restrictions more. There should be loads of optimism around and I wonder if they'll be the beneficiary of some of that. As horrible as they've handled the pandemic, within the last week they've brought vaccine cards along with associated privileges and extending the vaccine lotteries to all people vaccinated, rather than just the remaining unvaccinated. Two things I could have seen them screwing up.

I have a funny feeling their base will dwindle with these vaccine passports.

8 hours ago, Tracker said:

Let me start with, I have always voted PC, feel like an orphan of the political system. Please take this in the intent of truth not defending the Gov.

It is BS that this uproar is happening now  there was an RFP for this project and no one complained then. I have seen it reported that this winning party was the only respondent to the RFP  he is local to the area and owns the local store. A search of political donation records show him to have contributed one time to the orange party and no one else  

This is not scoring one for a buddy, as evidence has shown over and over again that is a red party specialty. We just haven’t ever scene that in Manitoba  well because…

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I have a funny feeling their base will dwindle with these vaccine passports.

Dwindle to where? Become "communists" and support the NDP? Maybe a few less likely to vote for a while, in rural areas where they'll get a huge majority regardless. I don't really see many of the things they have done that their opposition would have do as well changing people's minds too much. Maybe I'm wrong and the Christian Heritage Party is licking their lips, but I don't see any other options on the right side of the spectrum for people set against vaccine passports.

I'll caveat this one that the next provincial election is over two years away but based on the last poll that broke things down regionally, the PCs are in trouble the next election because they'll lose a ton of seats in Winnipeg. Handling of healthcare be it the treatment of nurses and doctors or the ER closures and reduced ICU beds, Bill 64 and the mishandling of the education file, plenty of bungling handling this pandemic and the natural tendency to vote against the government after 8+ years all factors in they need to overcome. Plus an unpopular leader and no good choices for a replacement.

Dwindle to where? Become "communists" and support the NDP? Maybe a few less likely to vote for a while, in rural areas where they'll get a huge majority regardless. I don't really see many of the things they have done that their opposition would have do as well changing people's minds too much. Maybe I'm wrong and the Christian Heritage Party is licking their lips, but I don't see any other options on the right side of the spectrum for people set against vaccine passports.

There are plenty of rural ridings that can swing: Selkirk, Gimli, Interlake - just to name a few. 

7 hours ago, Mark H. said:

There are plenty of rural ridings that can swing: Selkirk, Gimli, Interlake - just to name a few. 

Good point. I looked back at last election and Interlake/Gimli riding wasn't very close (almost twice as much support for PC), but Selkirk could swing for sure. And Dauphin too. Many rural ridings are landslides for the PCs though. I do expect/hope some ridings will change, I just don't see introduction of vaccine cards playing much of a factor as the ridings where vaccine cards are a mortal sin are also ridings where voting anything but blue is also a mortal sin.

Good point. I looked back at last election and Interlake/Gimli riding wasn't very close (almost twice as much support for PC), but Selkirk could swing for sure. And Dauphin too. Many rural ridings are landslides for the PCs though. I do expect/hope some ridings will change, I just don't see introduction of vaccine cards playing much of a factor as the ridings where vaccine cards are a mortal sin are also ridings where voting anything but blue is also a mortal sin.

Gimli is used to be Peter Bjornson's riding - it will swing with a legit candidate - or even one who just shows up to campaign.  No, I don't think vaccine cards will be much of a factor. 

I don't mind if  *some* parks are privatized ,  would not be happy if they were all privatized.  

Some people hate change or hate having to pay some money in exchange for a much nicer end result.  Look at the city and with the golf courses, people flip out when they talk about getting rid of the courses... they'd rather it run deep in the red so that some old men can enjoy the benefit of cheaper golf rather then going to another course that charges a few extra bucks.  

24 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Gimli is used to be Peter Bjornson's riding - it will swing with a legit candidate - or even one who just shows up to campaign.  No, I don't think vaccine cards will be much of a factor. 

While the Gimli area could swing, the new Interlake-Gimli riding also absorbed the Lakeside riding which looks to never have gone NDP and the last time a non-PC candidate represented the area was in 1969. I don't know too much about the riding's history or makeup other than what I have looked into online, but the PCs did almost get twice as many votes in the last election there. That would be a huge loss if they lose the riding in the next election. Either way, splitting hairs if we both agree the vax cards won't be much of a factor.

11 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Let me start with, I have always voted PC, feel like an orphan of the political system. Please take this in the intent of truth not defending the Gov.

It is BS that this uproar is happening now  there was an RFP for this project and no one complained then. I have seen it reported that this winning party was the only respondent to the RFP  he is local to the area and owns the local store. A search of political donation records show him to have contributed one time to the orange party and no one else  

This is not scoring one for a buddy, as evidence has shown over and over again that is a red party specialty. We just haven’t ever scene that in Manitoba  well because…

I disagree. The PCs have been at least as venal as anyone else- probably worse. The reason there are as few examples as there are is, I suggest, because they have behaved so poorly as to usually disqualify themselves from power. The book "On The Take" describes the rampant corruption in the Mulroney government, in Saskatchewan, I believe 12 PCs- most cabinet ministers were convicted and here in Manitoba, there is the example of former PC cabinet minister Eric Stefanson and there are others. The PCs have a very low opinion of those who vote them in and see them as sheep to be shorn.

Rural Manitoba is still very staunchly PC. The NDP will need to get their election win in Winnipeg. The NDP might pick up a couple seats rural such as Dauphin and maybe a Brandon seat but that's about it.  Gimli/Lakeside is Harry Enns old seat and its as safe as it comes for the PCs. Interlake could swing but I doubt it...not yet. A lot of the polling numbers right now are a reflection of the pandemic management and if that is firmly in the rearview mirror in 2 years I can realistically see PC numbers rebounding. The rural absolutely hates the NDP and will vote PC as long as they are not currently being screwed by them. Winnipeg is the battleground really and it will depend on what happens in the last year of the PC governments reign. Mid-term polling always inflates the hearts and minds of the opposition but is notoriously unreliable. I think a lot of dippers really underestimate just how unappetizing the prospect of Wab Kinew as premier is to a lot of people.

Edited by GCn20

14 hours ago, WildPath said:

PC and Libs are closer then most think. It wouldn't take very much of a platform change/campaign slogans to get people to vote for them. 

25 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

PC and Libs are closer then most think. It wouldn't take very much of a platform change/campaign slogans to get people to vote for them. 

Dougald Lamont is my MLA and their platform and I've been more in tune with his party than I normally am with provincial politics. Their platform is way different than the PC platform. In many instances I would argue that it is more progressive/left leaning than the NDP platform.

If you look at the last election, the 2 seats that the liberals lost went to the NDP, none to PC. The 4 seats the NDP lost were split evenly between Lib/PC and the one PC seat lost went to the NDP. All that suggests to me that there is a lot more switching between NDP/Lib support than PC/Lib. Because I have a bit of time I looked back to the 2016 election as well and there were no PC/Lib or Lib/PC exchanges either.