Canadian Politics

18 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I can't wrap my brain around those numbers. Until we had environmental levies and carbon taxes, coal was the cheapest energy source, especially when you needed large amounts of heat, such as for mass livestock operations. Any other energy source was not even close, even with freight included. 

might be hard to believe, but its true.

if you want to find out about it, I can post something.

here.

https://ieefa.org/ieefa-update-renewables-surpass-coal-in-u-s-power-generation-throughout-the-month-of-april-2020/

"Coal’s high cost has made it increasingly one of the last fuel choices for many utilities, a trend reflected by its declining market share for electric generation: just 15.3% in April, according to preliminary EIA figures."

This , below is 2019, so the advantage for renewable is larger now. cost continues to drop.

"Prices per megawatt hour from electricity for coal-fired power plants range from a low of $60 to a high of $143, according to Lazard, a financial advisory firm that publishes annual estimates of the total cost of producing electricity. This is the levelized cost, which includes the cost to build, operate, fuel and maintain a power plant.

Wind is significantly cheaper: Unsubsidized, levelized prices per megawatt hour of electricity from wind range from $29 to $56, according to Lazard’s most recent figures."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/06/04/climate-change-coal-now-more-expensive-than-wind-solar-energy/1277637001/

Has nothing to do withn subsidies or incentives. just straight cheaper to build renewable.

If you are talking about manitoba, its bringing up the rear on this, so yeah, coal might be cheaper. USA is where these figures are from.

Edited by Mark F

7 minutes ago, Mark F said:

It was true at the time...but it's a moot point now, due to the carbon tax and other levies. 

From the link you posted above, the biggest factor appears to be lower gas prices, which makes sense

Back in the early 2000s, we decreased our heating bill by 80%, when we switched from propane to coal

That ship has clearly sailed.

I'd imagine the guy quoted in the article is pretty happy to be burning renewables right now. 

This party wants to be taken seriously.

I remember speaking with the CPC candidate in my riding last time, who. I personally like, and said I couldn't vote for her or her party because they didn't believe in climate change and didn't have a plan to address it. She tried to convince me that their non-plan was a better plan. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Apparently O'Toole was pushing for the resolution to pass.  Even when they have a leader who's on board, they stay stuck in the mud. 

Yes, his speech was progressive, then the party's real platform came out. Anti-science, anti-indigenous, usual alt-right platform. 

They are who they are. 

And, this is the party that's going to lead Canada? What a joke they are. 

They (and similar provincial parties) just do not understand how Canada is evolving and becoming more and more progressive every day. They're getting left so far behind and just don't seem to care. There might be enough rednecks within provinces like AB/SK that can get them elected, but nationally? If you're not at least a little bit progressive.... You're totally ******. 

Hope everyone remembers when the conservatives under Harper pulled this off:

(ela is experimental lakes area, harper saved seven million dollars closing it down )

The decision to abruptly defund the ELA was widely condemned by the Canadian and international scientific community. The scientific journal Nature in 2012, described the decision as "disturbing", and said that it "is hard to believe that finance is the true reason" for the closure.[21] An open letter from five prominent scientific organizations, the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography, the Ecological Society of America, the International Society of Limnology, the Society of Canadian Limnologists, and the Society for Freshwater Sciences, expressed concern over the impact that a closure would have "on the strong and creative science that has been, and continues to be, conducted by Canadian freshwater researchers."[40][41]An organization of Canadian citizens and scientists spearheaded by Diane Orihel, the Coalition to Save ELA[24] has been formed to pressure the Canadian government to reverse the decision to close the Experimental Lakes Area.

ELA has produced 745 peer-reviewed scientific articles, 126 graduate theses, 102 book chapters and synthesis papers, 185 data reports, and several books. ELA scientists have been the recipients of numerous prestigious international water awards, including the Stockholm Water Prize, the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement[23] and the Gerhard Herzberg Gold Medal for Science and Engineering.[22][24][25]

the conservatives do not like science.

Edited by Mark F

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-sanctions-china-xinjiang-1.5959080

Canada joined the United States, the United Kingdom and the European Union today in placing sanctions on Chinese officials suspected of involvement in a years-long campaign of persecution against Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities in China's western Xinjiang province.

In a statement announcing the sanctions, Global Affairs Canada accused the four high-ranking officials of participating in "gross and systematic human rights violations" in Xinjiang.

The statement said mounting evidence shows the Chinese state is responsible for arbitrarily imprisoning more than one million people on the basis of their religion and ethnicity, and for subjecting them to "political re-education, forced labour, torture and forced sterilization."

The four officials Canada is targeting with asset freezes and a travel ban are:

• Chen Mingguo, director of the Xinjiang Public Security Bureau.
  • Wang Mingshan, former director of the Xinjiang Public Security Bureau and a member of the Communist Party's standing committee in Xinjiang.
  • Zhu Hailun, former deputy party secretary of the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region.
  • Wang Junzheng, secretary of the party committee of the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.

Canada also announced sanctions against the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps Public Security Bureau.

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

any time it gets even remotely cold here in Alberta, without fail, I will hear (or see online) someone say "Well, so much for your global warming! HARUMPH HARUMPH!" it blows my mind....

Same thing in rural MB.  What's App statuses and Instagram stories were a real treat - during the Feb. cold snap.

On 2021-03-20 at 1:41 PM, Noeller said:

They (and similar provincial parties) just do not understand how Canada is evolving and becoming more and more progressive every day. They're getting left so far behind and just don't seem to care. There might be enough rednecks within provinces like AB/SK that can get them elected, but nationally? If you're not at least a little bit progressive.... You're totally ******. 

It's not even "progressive" anymore. It's just living in reality. The world is changing. Keep up or **** off.

18 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Same thing in rural MB.  What's App statuses and Instagram stories were a real treat - during the Feb. cold snap.

It's funny cause they all magically forgot about the record breaking heat last summer or ya know...the warm winter we've all enjoyed. But two weeks of cold weather in Feb!!! Well that settles it! lol.

On 2021-03-20 at 1:23 PM, Mark H. said:

Apparently O'Toole was pushing for the resolution to pass.  Even when they have a leader who's on board, they stay stuck in the mud. 

Yeah when I read his speech. I was cautiously impressed. I thought maybe they're going to round a corner and not be total dipshits. Toole even said they need to change and keep up or they're going to keep losing. lol. Even your leader thinks you're going to lose if you don't change. But sure, keep doing the same things....that's a type of change....right?

Edited by Bigblue204

On 2021-03-20 at 1:38 PM, JCon said:

Yes, his speech was progressive, then the party's real platform came out. Anti-science, anti-indigenous, usual alt-right platform. 

They are who they are. 

And, this is the party that's going to lead Canada? What a joke they are. 

Did they actually release a platform at all? I can't seem to find anything other then what's on their website and it's ******* pathetic. "we're going to bring back 1 million jobs." CLICK TO HERE TO FIND OUT MORE. Followed by 3, yes sentences on how they plan to do that. 3 ******* sentences. My boss would laugh me out of the room if I had a project plan that looked like that. God damn it, political parties are a ******* joke.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Did they actually release a platform at all? I can't seem to find anything other then what's on their website and it's ******* pathetic. "we're going to bring back 1 million jobs." CLICK TO HERE TO FIND OUT MORE. Followed by 3, yes sentences on how they plan to do that. 3 ******* sentences. My boss would laugh me out of the room if I had a project plan that looked like that. God damn it, political parties are a ******* joke.

They don't have a plan. Their platform is Liberals bad, we're better, don't ask how. Jobs! Taxes! Guns!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-opposition-motion-reopen-economy-1.5960223

The federal Conservatives are calling for a national plan to reopen the economy, even as fears rise that some provinces are on the cusp of a third wave of the pandemic.

In a motion before the House of Commons today, the Conservatives demand that the federal government develop and present to Parliament "a clear data-driven plan to support safely, gradually and permanently lifting COVID-19 restrictions."

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole cited calls from national business organizations for a strategy to get Canadians back to work, and another from one of the country's largest unions for a plan to reopen borders. He said he agrees with those organizations that it is "unsustainable" to rely on lockdowns while waiting for COVID-19 vaccines to be widely administered.

"bUt ThE eCoNoMy!"

A federal plan makes little sense when you consider the differences between regions across this vast country.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-opposition-motion-reopen-economy-1.5960223

"bUt ThE eCoNoMy!"

A federal plan makes little sense when you consider the differences between regions across this vast country.

And it also displays ignorance of Federal/Provincial jurisdiction and responsibilities.

But hey, if Pallister can plagiarize ALEC to introduce anti-protest legislation, I guess O'Toole can copy Trump.

Edited by Wideleft