Canadian Politics

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

What point is that? That you spew alt-right crap all the time?

Rex Murphy is an opinionist and the reality of news entertainment today is that the more controversial the opinion the more views you get. 

Danielle Smith for example got a hell of a lot crazier on the radio show she had than she was when she was actually accountable to voters. It's all about getting people to tune in or read or whatever to your opinion on your entertainment platform.

Rex Murphy has been a Liberal fan boy all his life. He only changed his tune when Trudeau Jr came along because he saw right through his sunny ways crap. I'm a career Liberal as well who happens to agree with him, get it. 

4 hours ago, pigseye said:

Rex Murphy not me. But you just proved my point. 

Alt-Right mouth piece by proxy then? 

And no one is callng you out for being an Alt-Right mouth piece because you criticize Trudeau, it's because of your lengthy history of sharing those view points by the articles you post and viewpoints you highlight and those that you refuse to acknowledge. 

And the feigned ignorance of "oh ho ho, you people are intolerant little snowflakes in capable of over coming your confirmation bias, your cognitive dissonance, and your sexual identity politics and blahblablahbobloblawslawblog..." is pretty rich and disingenuous - it's simply more of "man, I am tired of your constant inelegant trolling- gtfo here."

There you go, some more oxygen for you.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

The fall of Jason Kenney

By Bruce Livesey | Opinion, Politics | February 8th 2021

Jason Kenney was pissed.

On Jan. 20, the Alberta premier walked into a press conference at the legislature in Edmonton, making a beeline to a podium that bore a sign reading “Standing up for Alberta.” Wearing a dusky navy blue suit and matching tie, Kenney was responding to breaking news that U.S. President Joe Biden had just canceled the Keystone XL pipeline, which was to carry oil from Alberta to Nebraska.

“This is a gut punch for the Canadian and Alberta economies,” said Kenney. “Sadly, it’s an insult directed at the United States’ most important ally and trading partner.” The premier said up to 2,000 unionized workers had just lost their jobs and if the Biden administration was unwilling to discuss the matter, “it’s clear the government of Canada must impose trade and economic sanctions” against the U.S.

For Kenney, news of the cancellation was one of a series of body blows his United Conservative Party (UCP) government has suffered over the past year and could not have come at a worse time. Already swimming in debt, the province had invested $1.5 billion in Keystone. More importantly, Kenney has gambled most of his political capital on rescuing Alberta’s ailing economy by resuscitating the oil and gas sector.

Now that strategy lies in tatters. As one former UCP staffer told me: “Reality is catching up with the province. It sounded good, in theory, but now we're getting our results.”

(much, much, more...)

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/02/08/opinion/fall-of-jason-kenney

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

The fall of Jason Kenney

By Bruce Livesey | Opinion, Politics | February 8th 2021

Jason Kenney was pissed.

On Jan. 20, the Alberta premier walked into a press conference at the legislature in Edmonton, making a beeline to a podium that bore a sign reading “Standing up for Alberta.” Wearing a dusky navy blue suit and matching tie, Kenney was responding to breaking news that U.S. President Joe Biden had just canceled the Keystone XL pipeline, which was to carry oil from Alberta to Nebraska.

“This is a gut punch for the Canadian and Alberta economies,” said Kenney. “Sadly, it’s an insult directed at the United States’ most important ally and trading partner.” The premier said up to 2,000 unionized workers had just lost their jobs and if the Biden administration was unwilling to discuss the matter, “it’s clear the government of Canada must impose trade and economic sanctions” against the U.S.

For Kenney, news of the cancellation was one of a series of body blows his United Conservative Party (UCP) government has suffered over the past year and could not have come at a worse time. Already swimming in debt, the province had invested $1.5 billion in Keystone. More importantly, Kenney has gambled most of his political capital on rescuing Alberta’s ailing economy by resuscitating the oil and gas sector.

Now that strategy lies in tatters. As one former UCP staffer told me: “Reality is catching up with the province. It sounded good, in theory, but now we're getting our results.”

(much, much, more...)

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/02/08/opinion/fall-of-jason-kenney

And it will make little to no difference in Alberta politics.

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Until I actually see the NDP defeat a united Con party, I'm not sure I can believe it. Their one win in 50 years was because the PC's and Wild Rose split the Right. Would love to see another Notley win in 2023, but.... 

Are the UCP united right now? The polling for them is atrocious right now and I have no doubts there are knives being sharpened for kenney.

So you think there's enough people within the UCP voting ranks that would "Vote Rachel"? I feel like if disenchanted UCP voters were going to "hold their nose" to vote, it'd still be for Kenney, rather than have to vote NDP. But, again, I'm a bit jaded because I live in rural AB, which can really be like rural AL at times....

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

So you think there's enough people within the UCP voting ranks that would "Vote Rachel"? I feel like if disenchanted UCP voters were going to "hold their nose" to vote, it'd still be for Kenney, rather than have to vote NDP. But, again, I'm a bit jaded because I live in rural AB, which can really be like rural AL at times....

As always the city liberals have to have more votes then the country conservatives.

On 2021-02-08 at 5:29 PM, 17to85 said:

Ehhh it might. The thing that did the PCs in was corruption and arrogance. The ucp has all that plus unpopular ideas.

People don't trust Kenney especially when it comes to the health file, education & the environment. They backed off of coal development last week after huge criticism of their coal development plans for the Eastern slopes of the Rockies. They reinstated the moratorium they had removed without public consultation last May on coal development that the PCs brought in to protect the slopes in 1976. They cancelled most but not all leases for development that have been approved since. Now they say that Albertans have spoken & they will have public consultation which is just a code word for going thru the motions & approving development anyways no matter the opposition. Nope, can't be trusted on everything & anything they do or say. Kenney' & the UCP popularity is in the high 20%. They are ideologically driven & even with the low numbers will continue their assault on Albertans. Their spring budget comes out in about a week. I expect higher taxes & cuts, cuts, cuts to the Big 3, Health, Education & Advanced Education such as colleges & universities. And it'll be done with glee & enthusiasm. 

On 2021-02-09 at 9:21 AM, Noeller said:

The vote will scatter. Some will go to the MOTR Alberta Party, others will go to the NDP & more far right ideological voters will look for the separatist option. Again, how much that goes to who is unknown. No doubt people are pissed off. The question is how much? I think enough to get the NDP elected. This is a government that lies, is not transparent at all, seems to be politically clueless & will continue to be driven by far right conservative ideology. I don't think they are able to adapt & change so I'm hoping their popularity continues to fall. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27