Canadian Politics

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I would like to make a full retraction on saying JT was in Costa Rica. I just went to look it up so I could post a link and realized the article I was referring to was dated Jan3/2020. My bad and my apologies to JT. However, no apologies to the Ashtons.

Kudos for owning your mistake and not doubling down. You are forgiven, now just put this on. 
giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea....yea....worst part is I got into a scrap with the wife about this the other day. She's a big Trudeau fan. Now I have to go home today and admit defeat.

Don't worry, we're always less than a week away from JT saying or doing something completely self-serving and hypocritical. You'll be fine, as long as you don't mention Costa Rica again. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Don't worry, we're always less than a week away from JT saying or doing something completely self-serving and hypocritical. You'll be fine, as long as you don't mention Costa Rica again. 

That's true. I'm going to need something in my back pocket for when she comes to the realization I was mistaken.

On 2021-01-08 at 11:06 AM, blue_gold_84 said:

Speaking of MAGAt wannabe clowns: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/candice-bergen-maga-hat-1.5865727

candice-bergen-maga.jpg

She is a disgrace to this country.

Make Altona Great Again

On 2021-01-13 at 11:00 AM, GCn20 said:

I would like to make a full retraction on saying JT was in Costa Rica. I just went to look it up so I could post a link and realized the article I was referring to was dated Jan3/2020. My bad and my apologies to JT. However, no apologies to the Ashtons.

You know how tough it is to cancel a hit? 🤪

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I guess this isnt really funny but

Biden cancelling keystone xcel.

meanwhile in Alberta:

The Alberta government agreed last year to invest about $1.5 billion as equity in the project, plus billions more in loan guarantees. As a result, the Canadian leg of the project has been under construction for several months with around 1,000 workers in southeast Alberta.

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney has said previously he thinks Alberta could have legal options to recoup taxpayer money should the permit be cancelled.

sure it does jason Kenney.

what  a complete waste.

Edited by Mark F

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They should have known keystone wouldn't survive. Kenney going all in on a losing hand. What else is new?

no problem pay for it with health care workers lay offs.

. ruin the system.. then complain that it proves public healthcare is no good.

winning.

Edited by Mark F

Yep, Kenney was counting on a Trump win for Keystone to proceed which was a stupid gamble. I wonder what is going to happen with Enbrifge Line 5 pipeline going into Sarnia? The Michigan governor wants to cancel it in a few months meaning possible job losses, higher prices & fuel shortages for Ontario & Quebec.

Sarnia fears thousands of job losses if Michigan blocks Enbridge's Line 5 pipeline (msn.com)

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Trump Wanted Putin At Canada’s 2018 G7 Meeting, Chief Organizer Says.  "And when I host, I’m going to invite him," the U.S. president told world leaders at the summit in Charlevoix.
Mike BlanchfieldThe Canadian Press

OTTAWA — During his only supper on Canadian soil, U.S. President Donald Trump told Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and their fellow G7 leaders that their table was incomplete. Come 2020, Trump promised to fix that by inviting Russia’s Vladimir Putin to his G7 dinner.

It was June 2018, four years since Russia had been expelled from what was then the G8 after the Kremlin’s invasion and annexation of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula in February 2014. 

The Russian occupation of Crimea remains the worst breach of Europe’s borders since the Second World War, but on the eve of the Canadian-hosted G7 in Quebec’s scenic Charlevoix region, Trump tweeted about wanting to bring Russia back into the fold.

Behind closed doors, Trump pursued it with his fellow leaders, recalled Sen. Peter Boehm, who was in the room then as Trudeau’s chief G7 organizer, known as a sherpa.

“Well, you know, we should have President Putin at the table. And when I host, I’m going to invite him,” Boehm, in a recent interview, recalled Trump saying.

So went the discussion among the some of the world’s most powerful leaders on how to strengthen international co-operation — with the then leader of democratic free world embracing an authoritarian dictator.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/erin-otoole-conservative-party-donald-trump-1.5878211

Pretty solid analysis, IMO. O'Toole and the CPC as a whole need to distance themselves from GOP-esque style politics, and that could be challenging with members like Sloan, Lewis, and Poilievre in the mix, spouting conspiracy theories and other divisive garbage we've seen south of the 49th the last several years. As party leader, O'Toole has to either rein them in or simply get rid of them. The margin for error is too thin and I don't think he can afford to waver, either with his message or his actions.

The CPC seems like a rudderless ship these days and O'Toole hasn't done anything to fix that. A strong, or at least competent opposition, regardless of the party, is important in holding the party in power to account in Canadian politics. O'Toole has his work cut out for him and time doesn't appear to be on his side. 

I just hope, with the end of Trump's presidency, we'll see that style of "politics" fizzle out here in Canada. There's absolutely no need for that ****, regardless of the scale.

Trudeau..... still promoting fossil fuels. the oil industry in houston gave him a medal, easy to see why.

what a hack.

Trudeau has no interest in the renewable economy, in any meaningful way. hes no better than Harper.

re keystone pipeline

Trudeau insisted Tuesday morning that his government would ensure its “views are heard and considered by the incoming administration at the highest levels.” He had previously brought up the project during a congratulatory phone call to Biden in November.

lucky guy, that his opponents are so useless.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Trudeau..... still promoting fossil fuels. the oil industry in houston gave him a medal, easy to see why.

what a hack.

Trudeau has no interest in the renewable economy, in any meaningful way. hes no better than Harper.

re keystone pipeline

lucky guy, that his opponents are so useless.

The Liberals are the only party in Canada taking the correct approach to the fossil fuel industry in Canada. 

It's an important industry to this country and we can't just go all "**** em all! Shut it all down!" Like the NDP or Greens want and we can't go double or nothing like the conservatives want. There needs to be a balance and so far the liberals are the only ones to even give it lip service.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The Liberals are the only party in Canada taking the correct approach to the fossil fuel industry in Canada. 

It's an important industry to this country and we can't just go all "**** em all! Shut it all down!" Like the NDP or Greens want and we can't go double or nothing like the conservatives want. There needs to be a balance and so far the liberals are the only ones to even give it lip service.

trudeau put fifteen billion into a pipeline. including cost to build

how much has he put into renewables?

and, maybe give me some examples of some signifcant activity in renewables anywhere in canada, cause i am not aware of it.

sure phase out oil, but show  me his, or any canadian politicans any partys plan for the transition that doesnt look to 2045, which is a sad joke.

also the ndp have sucked up to the oil industry too.... mulcaire, the ndp alberta premiere, were pro oil. notley demanded the pipeline be built.

only canadian politician that had any kind of plan was May. she gave up. shouted down, and scorned.

worst part of it, is that with some sensible leadership,

alberta could have been a world leader in renewables, the province had the money, and the skills, but probably too late for that.

any time it was brought up the person doing so got scorn and ridicule. shouted down. pols, and media alike.

meanwhile, alberta is planning on investing in ....... coal.  lol.

sad.

Edited by Mark F

https://liberal.ca/our-platform/clean-affordable-power/

To help bring clean and affordable power to more communities, we will move forward with new clean electricity generation and transmission systems, in partnership with the provinces, territories and others.

We will move forward with a new $5-billion Clean Power Fund. This fund will help support the electrification of Canadian industries, including our resource and manufacturing sectors, and make Canada home to the cleanest mills, mines, and factories in the world.

The Clean Power Fund will also help support the transition of northern, remote, and Indigenous communities off reliance on diesel-fueled power and onto clean, renewable, reliable energy. This will be sourced through the Canada Infrastructure Bank’s existing resources.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-data/data-analysis/energy-data-analysis/energy-facts/renewable-energy-facts/20069

Key facts

- Renewable energy sources currently provide about 16% of Canada’s total primary energy supply
- Wind and solar energy are the fastest growing sources of electricity in Canada

total-renewable-energy-production-07-2020.png

Compared to most OECD countries, Canada has a high share of renewables in their energy supply. 16.3% of Canada’s energy comes from renewables.

share-of-energy-supply-from-renewable-sources-09-2020.png

This information took less than five minutes to find and share here. Hydroelectricity has been a major driver for Canada's energy needs for decades; that's hardly revelation in 2021.

While Canada does need to continue on a greener, more sustainable path, our country just can't get off petroleum cold turkey without negative effects. But to suggest Canada or its current federal gov't is doing nothing in regard to renewable energy simply isn't accurate.

It is possible to continue investing in the petroleum energy industry while also investing in renewable energy industries, the latter of which is the future for this planet. Canada, like many other nations, will rely on both as it eventually transitions to a solely renewable energy reliance in the years to come. This endeavour will require considerable effort from governments at all levels, as well as private industry.

Oil is vitally important to our current economy but not so in the future. We still need oil for fuel and plastics but that is changing very quickly. Oil is cheap and will remain cheap. 

Alberta was smart to divest their economy knowing that it wouldn't last forever. Their economic reserves and investment into new technologies will pay off for generations to come. 

Norway, not Alberta. Ooops. 

31 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This information took less than five minutes to find and share here.

glad it was easy, didnt waste much of your time.

I think we Need large, direct investment in the Province of Alberta to go renewable, and retrain workers who lose jobs in oil and gas.

private sector free marketmwont do it.

update,  Trudeau trying harder newer information.

• Investing as much as C$3.2 billion over 10 years to plant two billion trees
  • Spending as much as C$631 million over a decade to restore and enhance wetlands, peatlands, grasslands and agricultural lands
  • Investing C$1.5 billion in a low-carbon and zero-emissions fuels fund to increase the production and use of clean fuels
  • A new Net Zero Accelerator innovation fund of C$3 billion over five years “to rapidly expedite decarbonization projects with large emitters"
  • dont know enough myself, but I dont see how this helps switch energy sources.
  •  
Edited by Mark F