Canadian Politics

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Why, Kenny will still be elected- I have no faith in the voters of Alberta (present company excluded :) ).

I think people might be surprised. Yeah I know I lost faith last time, and there are a segment that will vote for the Unlimited Corruption Party no matter what.... but Kenney has been pissing people off a lot by attacking the remaining good jobs in this province (public sector) and hasn't done anything to improve the oil and gas job market. It is in fact worse than when he took over. People voted knee jerk thinking he could make it be 2007 again. Now all he has is a serious of blunders to his record. Albertans don't really suffer out of touch arrogant premiers. At least Ralph Klein could pretend to be the salt of the earth type. Kenney is just a complete phony. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I think people might be surprised. Yeah I know I lost faith last time, and there are a segment that will vote for the Unlimited Corruption Party no matter what.... but Kenney has been pissing people off a lot by attacking the remaining good jobs in this province (public sector) and hasn't done anything to improve the oil and gas job market. It is in fact worse than when he took over. People voted knee jerk thinking he could make it be 2007 again. Now all he has is a serious of blunders to his record. Albertans don't really suffer out of touch arrogant premiers. At least Ralph Klein could pretend to be the salt of the earth type. Kenney is just a complete phony. 

Now the real fury has started with Kenney letting his cabinet ministers & MLA's off the hook with no repercussions for travelling during restrictions (& lying about it). I think Kenney & the UCP have underestimated the anger in Alberta over this.  I think this scandal is just getting started & it's hopefully the beginning of the end for the UCP. Letting these morons off without Kenney asking for resignations is as bad as these Elitists thinking the law doesn't apply to them. Kenney just confirmed it. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Now the real fury has started with Kenney letting his cabinet ministers & MLA's off the hook with no repercussions for travelling during restrictions (& lying about it). I think Kenney & the UCP have underestimated the anger in Alberta over this.  I think this scandal is just getting started & it's hopefully the beginning of the end for the UCP. Letting these morons off without Kenney asking for resignations is as bad as these Elitists thinking the law doesn't apply to them. Kenney just confirmed it. 

This is the "yellow dog" effect as stated by a Manitoba Tory some years ago.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Alberta historically votes conservative no matter what. From 1935-1971, you have Social Credit (essentially a conservative party), followed by the PCs from 1971-2015. 4 years of the NDP and now the UCP. Its remarkable really.

But the PCs were more of a big tent centrist party. Why do you think the wild rose partysprang up? POST weren't batshit crazy enough. The merger was a pure naked power grab by the far right thinking that albertans were too dumb to see it. They were right but I think people are starting to wake up.

54 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But the PCs were more of a big tent centrist party. Why do you think the wild rose partysprang up? POST weren't batshit crazy enough. The merger was a pure naked power grab by the far right thinking that albertans were too dumb to see it. They were right but I think people are starting to wake up.

I agree on both counts, just an observation.

Buncha ****** assholes. My MLA (a good dude in a shitty party. Being in media, he and I are relatively close) who also happens to be Speaker Of The Leg, was caught up in the rumour mill initially, but confirmed that he hasn't left AB since August. I actually ran into him at the grocery store on Christmas Eve and he texted me at work on New Years Eve day, so I was pretty sure... But still. So many entitled assholes within that party. I dare any one of these idiots to scream about "Laurentian Elites" ever again.... 

13 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

If I'm on EI I can't travel out of country so why not? 

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

Buncha ****** assholes. My MLA (a good dude in a shitty party. Being in media, he and I are relatively close) who also happens to be Speaker Of The Leg, was caught up in the rumour mill initially, but confirmed that he hasn't left AB since August. I actually ran into him at the grocery store on Christmas Eve and he texted me at work on New Years Eve day, so I was pretty sure... But still. So many entitled assholes within that party. I dare any one of these idiots to scream about "Laurentian Elites" ever again.... 

If Deena Hinshaw wants to bring in tougher health regulations at some point just how will Kenney be able to force them on Albertans now after what happened? He & the UCP have lost the moral authority to govern. People will just say **** off & refuse to listen. If Kenney had come down hard on these idiots it would have stopped the negative reaction. He chose not to & defended them all for travelling which just made things worse by infuriating everyone in Alberta. Now, I expect things to snowball this week as people are back & the Christmas break is mostly over. For a veteran politician, Kenney is so damned stupid.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If I'm on EI I can't travel out of country so why not? 

If Deena Hinshaw wants to bring in tougher health regulations at some point just how will Kenney be able to force them on Albertans now after what happened? He & the UCP have lost the moral authority to govern. People will just say **** off & refuse to listen. If Kenney had come down hard on these idiots it would have stopped the negative reaction. He chose not to & defended them all for travelling which just made things worse by infuriating everyone in Alberta. Now, I expect things to snowball this week as people are back & the Christmas break is mostly over. For a veteran politician, Kenney is so damned stupid.

Then he is the perfect leader for the UCP.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-politicians-pandemic-travel-1.5859785

Seems like it's not a party-specific occurrence even if conservatives seem to do it more.

In any event, this **** just reeks of privilege and hypocrisy.

How do you go on vacation and not tell your boss? I guess when your boss DOES NOT tell you TO not to go on vacation.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Its not illegal if you don't get caught.

I mean, travelling right now isn't technically illegal at all. Canadians are free to go anywhere that'll allow them entry. Legality isn't the issue; it's the optics. We've been told for months now to not travel unless essential and to do our part to slow the spread of this virus. These guidelines were put in place by elected officials and yet, many of them are flouting these rules for their own benefit or pleasure. What happened to leading by example?

The double standards are utter shite. And it's this sort of shitty contradictory behaviour that leads to apathy among the voting public, as these actions are not exclusive to one party. And there should be dire repercussions for this garbage, not some lame-ass apology or feigned remorse on a social media post.

Pallister's buddy who helped run their last two campaigns and who is now one of the chief civil servants just spent two weeks in Ontario with family and did not have to quarantine upon return. **** Pallister and his government. The media should just keep asking him over and over why do you tell Manitobans one thing and allow for this until he gives a legit answer.

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Pallister's buddy who helped run their last two campaigns and who is now one of the chief civil servants just spent two weeks in Ontario with family and did not have to quarantine upon return. **** Pallister and his government. The media should just keep asking him over and over why do you tell Manitobans one thing and allow for this until he gives a legit answer.

Stupidity and disregard for the welfare of others is all too common in some circles.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Alberta had a bunch of those yesterday...to nobody's surprise. There are MANY Trump supporters out here...especially in rural AB. 

Seeing this garbage happen in our country is abhorrent. Do any of these wannabe MAGAt clowns actually realize Trump doesn't give a **** about Canada or Canadians? It's almost too bad citizenship can't be revoked for supporting the rhetoric of a foreign official who's clearly lost his mind. (I'm mostly kidding about the citizenship thing but this is painful to see)

33 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Not sure how many caught this, but December 10th in an Edmonton Mall parking lot, a 41 year old nutjob attacked two Muslim women sitting in their car, severely beating them. We have at least our share of racists and fascists.

We have lots. 

And, no, I didn't see that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.