Canadian Politics

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Not just our personal transportation, but primary fuel in the transportation industry. Having worked in it, I can tell you major companies can not wait for a viable electric tractor/trailer. They've been getting gouged by the diesel market for years and will happily leave that relationship.

Yup, also worked for a big carrier and fuel costs were ridiculous. 

25 minutes ago, Tracker said:

When O'Toole did not censure or even contradict his MPs who retweeted Qanon crap. that ought to have given you an idea what kind of "leader" he is and how he sees where the support for his party is coming from.

For the life of me, I just can't understand why they're so eager to emulate GOP-esque ideas for this country. We're not Murica.

45 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

For the life of me, I just can't understand why they're so eager to emulate GOP-esque ideas for this country. We're not Murica.

I believe there are several in his party that look accross the border and envy the GOP. I suspect that most of these come from west of Manitoba and O'Toole is afraid of alienating the wingnut MPs and thus risking another schism in the party. A devil's choice really, but those PCs who still have shreds of morals can hold their noses for only so long and will either leave or have tolerance breaks.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Apparently there are three other vaccines almost ready to be tested. This ought to both speed up the availability and depress the price.

The reason given is we no longer have any pharmaceutical maufacturing plants in Canada. The Conservatives are blaming Trudeau & demanding he should have had licensing agreements to manufascture the vaccines before they were approved as a backlog to hasten the rollout but the Conservatives are just as much to blame as they brought in NAFTA which hastened the demise of the manufacturing sector including pharmaceuticals  in Canada. As well, the erosion continued with every other federal government FTA we became involved with afterwards. We lost our ability to manufacture products we used to make because (for example) we now buy pharmaceuticals from the US, France, China, Mexico. Doesn't matter if we made them in Canada or not. Until now. We need to reestablish the maufacturing sector in Canada. **** the global supply chains.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We need to reestablish the maufacturing sector in Canada. **** the global supply chains.

How? The world has moved beyond that. Trying to fight to bring back a bygone age is a losing proposition. Need to adapt to the new world and not try and go back in time.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

How? The world has moved beyond that. Trying to fight to bring back a bygone age is a losing proposition. Need to adapt to the new world and not try and go back in time.

What has been created can be adapted to an ever-changing economic world. Our society cannot compete head to head with countires like China who have no societal infrastructure like medicare, pensions, work safety standards, environmental protections, decent wages etc. We do have the right to protect our living standards instead of trying to compete in a race to the bottom. This will require a shift in our buying attitudes and having to pay more for our toys- an unpalatable thought for many.

But if we do want to go back to the glory days the first step will be the one thing conservatives are conditioned to hate... taxing the wealthy at a higher level. 

And not even go back to taxing these guys like they were post war, it will also require governments to legislate worker protections. Again anti-consetvative stances.

Basically everything from the 80s onwards was an experiment in seeing if corporations will do the right thing without being forced to. Turns out that no, no they won't. Time to end that failed experiment and get back to governments looking after the bulk of the population rather than the wealthiest.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

We just do it. These FTA's only benefit more powerful countries. Never been a fan of FTA's. Except we have a Globalist for a PM who doesn't care about our sovereignty.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

But if we do want to go back to the glory days the first step will be the one thing conservatives are conditioned to hate... taxing the wealthy at a higher level. 

And not even go back to taxing these guys like they were post war, it will also require governments to legislate worker protections. Again anti-consetvative stances.

Basically everything from the 80s onwards was an experiment in seeing if corporations will do the right thing without being forced to. Turns out that no, no they won't. Time to end that failed experiment and get back to governments looking after the bulk of the population rather than the wealthiest.

You should do some research on this. Canada taxes it’s highest earners at one of the highest rates in the world. They pay a higher percentage of their own income and the greatest share of national income. I heard an interview on the radio the other day about National Pharmacare plan with professor from Carleton. I believe the number quoted was the top 40% of earners pay over 80% of the taxes paid. These are also the most mobile individuals and most likely to leave if they feel being taxed too much. 

What would be great is for government to start spending our money as if there is a finite amount of it and stop asking for more all the time. 

I believe the clip is this first section with professor Ian Lee

geoff-currier/great-mood/embed?style=cover" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="180"></iframe>

Edited by GCJenks
Added link to interview.

7 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

You should do some research on this. Canada taxes it’s highest earners at one of the highest rates in the world. They pay a higher percentage of their own income and the greatest share of national income. I heard an interview on the radio the other day about National Pharmacare plan with professor from Carleton. I believe the number quoted was the top 40% of earners pay over 80% of the taxes paid. These are also the most mobile individuals and most likely to leave if they feel being taxed too much. 

What would be great is for government to start spending our money as if there is a finite amount of it and stop asking for more all the time. 

geoff-currier/great-mood/embed?style=cover" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="180"></iframe>

The percentage of taxes paid is not a determinant of the happiness of the population. The highest satisfaction of people comes from countries with a robust social support network, and these are the western European countries (Britain excepted), and Japan. Taxes are high there, but not only are there social supports and high taxes, but there is not the income disparity evident in the US, and to an extent, Canada and Britain. This seems to engender a sense of "we're all in this together".

16 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

They pay 80% of the taxes while controlling 95% of the wealth... you trying to prove my point for me? 

Look at the golden age everyone pines for... what was the tax rate on wealthy people then? Hell as an Alberta example the ndp raised corporate tax rates and were blasted for it... yet rates were higher under klein. 

We've tried this cutting taxes on corporations and the wealthy for decades and it has only shrunk the middle class and expanded the wealth gap. It is a failed experiment.

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

They pay 80% of the taxes while controlling 95% of the wealth... you trying to prove my point for me? 

Look at the golden age everyone pines for... what was the tax rate on wealthy people then? Hell as an Alberta example the ndp raised corporate tax rates and were blasted for it... yet rates were higher under klein. 

We've tried this cutting taxes on corporations and the wealthy for decades and it has only shrunk the middle class and expanded the wealth gap. It is a failed experiment.

Are you talking individual or corporate? Think Drs / entrepreneurs and other wealth creators. Tax them any higher and they will go elsewhere. How does that make this a better country to live in. 

Raiding taxes is not a solution, fiscal responsibility needs to be something to strive for. Successful businesses find a way to spend less government needs to do the same. 

19 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Are you talking individual or corporate? Think Drs / entrepreneurs and other wealth creators. Tax them any higher and they will go elsewhere. How does that make this a better country to live in. 

Raiding taxes is not a solution, fiscal responsibility needs to be something to strive for. Successful businesses find a way to spend less government needs to do the same. 

Government is not a business. 

We have already tried cutting taxes and as I said, it's been proven to not work for the betterment of society as a whole. So let's try taxing people and putting in some regulations saying they have to treat their employees well. 

A strong economy is not created from the top down, it is created from the bottom up. 

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Government is not a business. 

We have already tried cutting taxes and as I said, it's been proven to not work for the betterment of society as a whole. So let's try taxing people and putting in some regulations saying they have to treat their employees well. 

A strong economy is not created from the top down, it is created from the bottom up. 

Broken record much?

I say again, I have never suggested cutting taxes  redistribution of collection would be an idea that has worked. Here’s a hint, those that make more also consume more  taxes based on consumption result in the wealthy paying more taxes...

”cutting taxes doesn’t work”

“Built from bottom up”

Sounds exceptionally progressive to me. 

I curious as to your experience of a strong economy is built from the bottom up? Where has this been successful? I’m not denying your idea, I am genuinely curious as to your reference point. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

That nut job was a candidate for the CPC leadership. 

As long as they have nutters like this not only as members, but actually vying for leadership... I am going to vote liberal if only to keep those crazies away from the levels of power... and it sucks, cuz Trudeau isn't what I want to vote for...

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

As long as they have nutters like this not only as members, but actually vying for leadership... I am going to vote liberal if only to keep those crazies away from the levels of power... and it sucks, cuz Trudeau isn't what I want to vote for...

There are some nutty Liberals too!