Canadian Politics

15 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

I wasn't a huge Bowman supporter, but he was the best of this lot. Can't wait for the next horror show in two years..

He was the best of the lot but he's been really disappointing. His lack of leadership on the opening of Portage and Main was embarrassing. 

A bunch of NIMBYs who were afraid that opening it would lead to a 15-minute increase in their commute times (despite the review, which indicated less than a minute) won a ridiculous plebiscite. They were idiots and so was he on it. 

He hasn't really brought forward a new vision and he's consolidated so much power in the EPC, you wonder what council is for? 

I hope Lukes run. Better not get Klein or Browarty as our next mayor. We'll just go deeper in debt and much further down the "stupid" path, like above, with those yahoos. 

18 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Bowman for say Carr's seat if Carr choses not to run again?

Yup. 

12 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Maybe it’s time for the 2 of you to take this Kenney skirmish to the private messaging board. Not sure if the current state of Alberta politics resonates with many on this board here in Manitoba, but when the conversation devolves into name-calling over how each of you personally voted, and words like “stupid”, “lazy” and “gullible” get thrown around by both sides and the debate becomes a personal attack, Then IMO time to take it outside and get off the main board for your pissing contest. If I’m alone in my belief, then I apologize, I just don’t have moderator ban hammer powers. 

I don't want to take it to PM's. I want him to quit hounding me. 17to85 should just leave me alone about my voting choice. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Yes, it's a beautiful park and a nice way to spend an evening or afternoon, but the whole Goldeyes business scheme has stunk from the beginning.  Katz was self-dealing by billing the city for parties he held at his restaurant; the parking lot deal stinks to high heaven and him failing to disclose more financials for taxpayer subsidizies makes the fish smell even fishier.

I could get behind the franchise if he wasn't involved at all, but I actively don't support the team because of the above.  He's no different than Trump in a business sense - just on a much smaller scale.

Edited by Wideleft

This city should not be dealing with that criminal. He and his associates fleeced this city. He's a crook. 

The park is beautiful and will remain beautiful under new management. The American Association is now affiliated with MLB, which will attract another buyer and a new, more balanced deal with the city. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

This city should not be dealing with that criminal. He and his associates fleeced this city. He's a crook. 

The park is beautiful and will remain beautiful under new management. The American Association is now affiliated with MLB, which will attract another buyer and a new, more balanced deal with the city. 

yeah but what if they decide not to keep them here? a part of me wishes that True North would step in and buy the team, but I guess that's just wishful thinking on my part. I would hate to see the team go because if that happened any remaining fish bucks I have lying around the house would just be useless pieces of paper, and the food isn't that bad either, I mean yes there is a place on Grant you can get TCBY but I'm not going all the way there just for frozen yogurt, my workplace distributes some once a week, but on days when I'm not in (I work part time)

Edited by iHeart

Just now, iHeart said:

yeah but what if they decide not to keep them here? a part of me wishes that True North would step in and buy the team, but I guess that's just wishful thinking on my part

God no. True North is already getting plenty of money out of this city and province. I don't want Chipman anywhere near another property. He can own the Jets and Moose and that's enough. 

Even if he were to sell the franchise and it moved, the AA would give Winnipeg another with a new owner. This has been a very successful market for them. 

4 minutes ago, Mark F said:

wow. Alberta laying off 11000 healthcare workers.

what a crazy place.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2020/10/27/Alberta-Public-Health-Workers-Strike-Back/

Setting aside the politics of this, this would probably be the worst time to even bring this up, never mind declare it.

Yeah, so all of that is from a couple weeks ago, actually. Our Health Minister, Tyler Shandro, is an absolute mess. He and Jason Kenney decided -- IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC -- that they wanted to rip up the "master agreement" between the province and health practitioners, which essentially dictates how much they're allowed to charge for their services. An agreement that hasn't been touched in a very long time, because nobody wants to tell doctors they aren't worth what they're charging. Well, apparently in the middle of a pandemic is a good time to do it. When doctors started getting angry about it (something like 80% said they've lost faith in the Health Minister, and around 50% said they've considered closing up shop and moving to another province because of it) Shandro started firing back. He actually went to one doctor's house and got into it with him in his driveway...yelling and screaming and what not. It was really something. So now, in the last couple weeks, they've decided they want to lay off 11,000 front line workers...essentially janitors, laundry workers....things like that. All to save money. Money which, by the way, is being spent in the neighbourhood of 30-million per year on a "War Room", which exists to fight for the good name of oil and gas industry and hand out 4-billion in corporate welfare to oil and gas companies who took the money, laid off their Canadian employees and moved operations to Texas. 

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack this province for electing the absolute worst provincial government in Canada......