Canadian Politics

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Im in the underground Carr for PM movement.

A Liberal PM from the West (MB, SK, AB)? Underground indeed. Goodale probably had the best chance of anyone in the past twenty years. Axworthy before that (but that was pretty slim). 

Maybe someone from BC?

I have not heard an update on Carr's health? How has he been doing? 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-party-leadership-results-1.5695925

Results of the Conservative leadership race have been delayed by several hours because the machine used to open ballot envelopes damaged several thousand voting cards.

The technical glitch left four candidates vying for the party's top job in limbo.

Former Conservative deputy leader and leadership campaign co-chair Lisa Raitt said the ballots, which were mailed in in a sealed envelope inside another envelope, are being opened automatically.

"What's been happening is the machine is ripping or cutting some of these ballots," she said.

Up to 4,000 ballots that were damaged are either taped back together or are manually remarked on a new ballot. Scrutineers from all camps view the ballot and agree on the result, so there is no risk of the integrity being compromised, Raitt said.

You'd think by now these candidates would have actual, thoughtful, concrete solutions to all these problems in Ottawa caused by the Leftist Bogeyman since 2015. This supposedly prosperous vision for Canada remains virtually unknown or at best, very unclear.

Scheer suggesting the CPC is "in great shape" smacks of delusion to me. His comments about challenging the leftist elites, the mainstream media and its left-wing bias were also comical and very Trumpesque. His departure should be seen as a win and O'Toole would benefit distancing himself and the party from such a tired, petulant, and ridiculous narrative.

All of which is to say nothing of the technical issues yesterday. What happened is a bad look in itself for a party who prides itself on managerial competence.

O'Toole ran to the right when the campaign started. He's far more moderate than Scheer was. He's from Montreal and holds and important Toronto seat. I think you can expect a very Bay Street focused platform from the CPC. 

But, holy geez, Scheer whining about the left wing media? They have the Sun, National Post and Globe and Mail as mainstream right wing publications and he thinks the right gets bad press? Yikes. 

Anytime I see people whining about left-wing bias in "mainstream" media, I roll my eyes so hard it hurts. If the Con's want to get elected, they have to find a way to come back toward the middle, rather than going further to the right. Staunch social conservatism just seems so anti-Canadian. Canada has always been a (relatively speaking) socially progressive nation. There is nothing wrong with tightening budgets a bit and being smart with our money, but when you start talking about anti-abortion stuff, and not accepting Pride Day and things like that......that's just so wildly un-Canadian, to me. 

37 minutes ago, JCon said:

O'Toole ran to the right when the campaign started. He's far more moderate than Scheer was. He's from Montreal and holds and important Toronto seat. I think you can expect a very Bay Street focused platform from the CPC.

But, holy geez, Scheer whining about the left wing media? They have the Sun, National Post and Globe and Mail as mainstream right wing publications and he thinks the right gets bad press? Yikes. 

I thought Otoole was a Trump clone?

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Not before the campaign. He went pretty hard right to capture a big piece of Scheer's support. He was far more PC just 12 months ago. We'll see if heads back to the middle. 

Yeah a friend of my wifes who has worked for MPs in Ottawa over the years said that the guy who ran for leadership is different than the guy who was an MP. So here is hoping he was just trying to win and will drag the party kicking and screaming towards the middle. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Anytime I see people whining about left-wing bias in "mainstream" media, I roll my eyes so hard it hurts. If the Con's want to get elected, they have to find a way to come back toward the middle, rather than going further to the right. Staunch social conservatism just seems so anti-Canadian. Canada has always been a (relatively speaking) socially progressive nation. There is nothing wrong with tightening budgets a bit and being smart with our money, but when you start talking about anti-abortion stuff, and not accepting Pride Day and things like that......that's just so wildly un-Canadian, to me. 

The problem for Social Conservatives is that reality has a left wing bias in their minds. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Apparently Alberta is looking to build a rail line between Calgary and Edmonton.It made this pop into my head:

8gep.gif

It's been talked about by some for a long time, but call me skeptical it will ever happen. I don't forsee it being used enough. The drive isn't so long and once you get to either city you kinda want to have a car to get anywhere.

On 2020-08-25 at 4:53 PM, rebusrankin said:

Apparently Alberta is looking to build a rail line between Calgary and Edmonton.It made this pop into my head:

8gep.gif

As an Albertan, I just want to say..... No freaking kidding. Instead of laughing we just cried at how bad the UCP government is. I voted for that POS Kenney. No way ever again. Meanwhile, it's the doctors fault we have a deficit in our province. Those evil bastards...

It's not a monorail. It's a hyperloop. Totally enclosed so there is no friction caused by contact with the air so speeds of up to 1,000 kph can be reached. It's. A. Pipe. Dream. Supposedly the cost is $7 billion so we know by the time it would be finished iy would cost $14-15 billion. We seem to have money for that but no money for a safe start up to school. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

so I'm not really sure where this would belong but man (btw this is just part of a long twitter thread)

He has been leaning that way ever since the 2015 election.  The Conservative stance on immigration and refugees at the time, seemed to shake his dyed in the wool Conservative foundations. 

you know it's funny, I told my dad about this yesterday and he was like "Really" then he kept telling me how he was "still voting conservative" and i told him about the long twitter thread he made 11 hours ago (at the time) yeah even I wonder what he'll do now