Canadian Politics

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Don't even bring up the spectre of breaking promises and compromised morality if you are a Liberal supporter. Trudeau is the most corrupt, and biggest promise breaker since his father left office. Good gravy man....the guy is a farce. Just a puppet on a string of maybe the most vile character in political history. Gerald Butts.

In case you have forgotten, the CPC had the most votes last election under an extremely underwhelming leader. Mackay will be far more appealing to the moderates. You are spouting opinion on the CPC, but the fact is that they are a hair away from taking power.

You have nothing but invective to use in your criticism of Trudeau. The "scandal" that Butts was involved in consisted of a female cabinet minister who threw a hissy-fit over being moved to another portfolio and claimed that it was discrimination. Gerald Butts, I understand is a well-respected civil revant who has had a respected career. Compare that to Brian Mulroney, Devine and so forth. 

Edited by Tracker

I'm a Conservative & Mackay does nothing for me. As an Albertan, I take exception to him saying that he would give veto power to BC & Quebec over pipeline construction. He's a sellout just like Scheer was. I'll never vote for Mackay after that. Neither will a lot of Albertans or people out west in Saskatchewan or the BC interior.

As far as the other candidates go, they're social conservatives. Something I'm not. We had 3 years with Scheer which was a ******* disaster. How are they any different than he was? If the candidates religious beliefs mean that they want to reopen the abortion debate, not recognize LGBTQ rights or march in a Gay Pride parade then don't run for CPC leadership.  Be a leader for every Canadian not just your right wing base. I don't think anyone  who is a conservative is happy with the people running. The people who would have got conservatives excited all decided to sit this one out for some unbeknownst reason. I see 4 more years of Trudeau majority with these clowns running. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has turned down a White House invitation to celebrate the new regional free trade agreement in Washington with U.S President Donald Trump and Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.

Trump and López Obrador are due to meet Wednesday Washington, but Trudeau spokesperson Chantal Gagnon said Monday that while Canada wishes the U.S. and Mexico well, Trudeau won’t be there.

“While there were recent discussions about the possible participation of Canada, the prime minister will be in Ottawa this week for scheduled Cabinet meetings and the long-planned sitting of Parliament,” Gagnon said.

28 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

Yes. It will hold. If the SNC stuff didn't stick, this will be gone in a week.

Bad optics, yes but apparently Sophie accepted $1500 in 2008. Margaret Trudeau has been a speaker for WE for the past 10 years. Some of this is old history.

Edited by Tracker

31 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Bad optics, yes but apparently Sophie accepted $1500 in 2008. Margaret Trudeau has been a speaker for WE for the past 10 years. Some of this is old history.

It's more than bad optics. His mother, brother and wife received money. A total of $300,000 for speaking. He is once again under investigation by the ethics commissioner. Can the ONLY PM to ever be found guilty by the ethics commissioner be found guilty a 3rd time ? Shame on the rudderless conservatives for not being able to field a leader capable of defeating him.

I don't think it will stick but bad optics as an excuse? Please.

You award a contract for nearly a billion dollars where no others are considered to a company that has given large sums of money to various family members over the years and that's not questionable? Then throw in you saying that the civil service made the decision and then its revealed that you lied about that because it was a cabinet decision and you didn't excuse yourself from the discussion as you are supposed to. Plus one of WE's heads is on video saying the PM called you and offered the contract and then he backtracks on that when there's outrage by people.

Aga Khan, SNC, WE, how many passes and excuses does one get? Heck I didn't mention the incident in BC where he sexually harrassed a reporter, something that would have ended others careers, the broken promises (changing the electoral system, being more open and transparent).

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Dude, you cannot be serious. This is blatant conflict of interest. You'd have to be incredibly naive to think stuff like this doesn't happen behind closed doors anyways. What bothers me, is the fact Trudeau failed to recuse himself from the decision, I mean, if you're gonna be crooked, fine, they're all dogs anyways. But to be so brazen about it? That's just insulting the intelligence of the Canadian public. The fact that nobody in the PM's office stood up and was like "didn't your (insert relative here) do work for them? Doesn't this look bad?" shows either gross incompetence, a complete disregard for public well-being (and greed), or both.

If anything the fact Margaret has been a speaker for that long should be an argument against assigning them such a large contract, in the political world you should not only maintain actual independence, but also perceived independence as well.

I wish I could decline my ballot in the next federal election.

2 hours ago, the watcher said:

Shame on the rudderless conservatives for not being able to field a leader capable of defeating him.

Yup. And I'm not sure the current candidates can do it either.

I applaud what Trudeau has done to manage the Covid crisis, but outside of that he's just like any other politician.

8 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

Yup. And I'm not sure the current candidates can do it either.

You know at this point it's less about the candidates and more about the fact that conservative parties the world over have been taken over by regressives hell bent on ******* **** up in the name of corporate greed. 

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You know at this point it's less about the candidates and more about the fact that conservative parties the world over have been taken over by regressives hell bent on ******* **** up in the name of corporate greed. 

And if I had any money “left”, I’d put my money on this theory.

12 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Wait, are people still defending Trudeau on this?

No doubt this will cost Trudeau support if there is any proof he or the PMO were involved in the awarding of the contract, but it remains to be seen how bad the damage will be. 

I just find the difference between the US and Canada amusing. In Canada we have a leader who apologies to the country and down south we see a guy who’d prefer to call his fellow citizens anarchists and low lives etc. and has complete disdain for those ’beneath’ him.

Oh Canada

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I was referencing former Liberal MP David Dingwall and riffing on something he said. I do believe that many Liberals believe they are entitled to their entitlements but to be fair, so do politicians from all parties.

I seem to recall he did get the money. So apparently he was entitled.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I was referencing former Liberal MP David Dingwall and riffing on something he said. I do believe that many Liberals believe they are entitled to their entitlements but to be fair, so do politicians from all parties.

Yes I remember the entitled to their entitlements, I was just playing on Cretiens a proof is a proof word salad about the same time.