Canadian Politics

I wouldn't put much stock in poll numbers right now. They will likely change significantly once the Covid distraction is over, and a new CPC leader emerge. His popularity is up because for the past several months there was no opportunity for opposition and the opposition parties took the high road during a pandemic.

45 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Meh, won't be an election for a long time. NDP won't call for one, they haz no cheezburger. Also Covid.

The Liberals can call for an election any time they want, and if they feel they are polling strongly they probably will. However, I doubt they do so before the CPC has their new leader in place, as calling it before might hurt them at the polls as the electorate would not like that kind of snaky move.

The CPC will likely see a small surge in popularity after the media fawn over whoever there new leader is. The Libs will likely ride that out and then call for an election so that McKay doesn't get too much traction as he will be a popular choice in Eastern Canada..

Edited by GCn20

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

The Liberals can call for an election any time they want, and if they feel they are polling strongly they probably will. However, I doubt they do so before the CPC has their new leader in place, as calling it before might hurt them at the polls as the electorate would not like that kind of snaky move.

The CPC will likely see a small surge in popularity after the media fawn over whoever there new leader is. The Libs will likely ride that out and then call for an election so that McKay doesn't get too much traction as he will be a popular choice in Eastern Canada..

McKay doesn't have much credibility left although he will likely win the leadership. He was elected leader of the Conservatives on the promise that he would not join with the Reform party, and as soon as he could, he did exactly that. Conservatives appear to have short and convenient memories.

On 2020-06-26 at 11:07 AM, Brandon said:

Article is from CBC..... without Trudeau in charge they will be out of business.   I'll believe it more so when other non bias media outlet publish similar findings. 

Your assbleed over Trudeau in this thread is nothing short of comical. The CBC has been alive and well for decades and that hasn't changed since the Liberals won the election five years ago. Trudeau isn't charge of **** as far as CBC goes but if you truly believe such nonsense, you'd have to make the same ridiculous claim for Harper when he was PM. CBC doesn't change its stripes when power changes hands.

As for your whining about bias, have a read: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cbc-news-canadian-broadcasting/

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias.  They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes.

Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180

CBC may lean slightly left but its reporting accuracy is high and that's ultimately what determines the quality of a news outlet.

Edited by blue_gold_84
info added

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Your assbleed over Trudeau in this thread is nothing short of comical. The CBC has been alive and well for decades and that hasn't changed at since the Liberals won the election five years ago. Trudeau isn't charge of **** as far as CBC goes but if you truly believe such nonsense, you'd have to make the same ridiculous claim for Harper when he was PM. CBC doesn't change its stripes when power changes hands.

As for your whining about bias, have a read: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cbc-news-canadian-broadcasting/

CBC may lean slightly left but its reporting accuracy is high and that's ultimately what determines the quality of a news outlet.

I'll also add that the Liberals have changed the appointment process to the Board of Directors so that an independent body (Independent Advisory Committee) performs the recruitment, review and appointment process. 

Someone is forgetting that Harper appointed 9 Conservative donors to the 12 member board and we're still living with a chunk of them because they serve 5 year terms.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/news/2020/06/minister-guilbeault-announces-new-appointments-to-the-cbcradio-canada-board-of-directors.html

https://thetyee.ca/News/2016/04/27/CBC-Board-Member-Resigns/?nnw-28999-1 (Board member resigns to seek Conservative Party Presidency).

Edited by Wideleft

Anyone who has read CBC in the last several years can clearly see a huge difference in reporting from before.  Locally CBC is always misleading and click baiting with articles not telling the full truth.   A huge slant and bias for the Liberals.   I do not trust them at all,  on Winnipeg reddit it's a running joke about CBC and how terrible it is these days.  

Great example was a few weeks back when the police took down the crazy guy on drugs in Winnipeg... all other media outlets posted the full story originally explaining how the man was on drugs  had weapons etc....  meanwhile CBC posted POLICE BRUTALITY and completely left out the whole story and made it seem like the police randomnly took down an innocent man and put the beats on him for no reason.    Only after CBC was shamed and people ragged on them that they retracted and posted the complete story. 

Do not trust CBC at all... extremely corrupt and to quote Trump "fake news".   

40 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Anyone who has read CBC in the last several years can clearly see a huge difference in reporting from before.  Locally CBC is always misleading and click baiting with articles not telling the full truth.   A huge slant and bias for the Liberals.   I do not trust them at all,  on Winnipeg reddit it's a running joke about CBC and how terrible it is these days.  

Great example was a few weeks back when the police took down the crazy guy on drugs in Winnipeg... all other media outlets posted the full story originally explaining how the man was on drugs  had weapons etc....  meanwhile CBC posted POLICE BRUTALITY and completely left out the whole story and made it seem like the police randomnly took down an innocent man and put the beats on him for no reason.    Only after CBC was shamed and people ragged on them that they retracted and posted the complete story. 

Do not trust CBC at all... extremely corrupt and to quote Trump "fake news".   

Sometimes the bias is stronger in the viewer than it is in the broadcaster.

43 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Lol well when they leave out critical facts I disagree.   

As I said before it's an ongoing joke on reddit whenever CBC reports (mainly on crime).   CBC clearly has an agenda which if it were privately owned then good for them... I'd be thrilled if the CBC was shut down at this point as it's so corrupt and for the most part absolute garbage.   I'd be saddened that Canada loses some identity but also happy that the citizens wouldn't be brainwashed with the lies they put out.  

19 hours ago, Brandon said:

Lol well when they leave out critical facts I disagree.   

As I said before it's an ongoing joke on reddit whenever CBC reports (mainly on crime).   CBC clearly has an agenda which if it were privately owned then good for them... I'd be thrilled if the CBC was shut down at this point as it's so corrupt and for the most part absolute garbage.   I'd be saddened that Canada loses some identity but also happy that the citizens wouldn't be brainwashed with the lies they put out.  

Who do you trust for news then?  Your proof is an anecdotal local crime story and yet you want to defund a multi-platform organization that does important news reporting from around the world and offers Canadian stories, talent, and perspectives that you will not find anywhere else.

I really don't think the bias lies with the CBC in your case.

Edited by Wideleft

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Just going to put this back right here since it apparently bears repeating.

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

On ‎2020‎-‎06‎-‎26 at 5:56 PM, Tracker said:

McKay doesn't have much credibility left although he will likely win the leadership. He was elected leader of the Conservatives on the promise that he would not join with the Reform party, and as soon as he could, he did exactly that. Conservatives appear to have short and convenient memories.

Most Conservatives were quite happy with the unite the right movement. It's only the left that hated this. It was not divisive in any way amongst the vast majority of right leaning voters. That's just left spin. McKay remains very popular with the right, and he is popular in the Maritimes and Ontario where he is viewed as a moderate conservative. You can have your opinion about him if you wish, but it is not based on facts, just on your personal take of the situation which is both biased and ill-informed.

When McKay is elected leader he will be a formidable opponent to Trudeau and will likely become the next PM of Canada. In a twist of irony, he may be the leader that causes both the right and eventually the left to end up uniting.

24 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

When McKay is elected leader he will be a formidable opponent to Trudeau and will likely become the next PM of Canada.

Not if he keeps saying stupid things like he has done recently. 

No the problem for the conservatives is that they have been fully taken over by the extreme right, and that won't win elections. Look how hard Harper had to work to keep that in check.

58 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Most Conservatives were quite happy with the unite the right movement. It's only the left that hated this. It was not divisive in any way amongst the vast majority of right leaning voters. That's just left spin. McKay remains very popular with the right, and he is popular in the Maritimes and Ontario where he is viewed as a moderate conservative. You can have your opinion about him if you wish, but it is not based on facts, just on your personal take of the situation which is both biased and ill-informed.

When McKay is elected leader he will be a formidable opponent to Trudeau and will likely become the next PM of Canada. In a twist of irony, he may be the leader that causes both the right and eventually the left to end up uniting.

So your point is that it ok to break the promise you made to get elected so long as it is popular? Sounds like a typical Conservative ploy.  My views of the Conservatives in Canada are based in the realities of Brian Mulroney, Gary Filmon, Peter McKay, Grant Devine, Steven Harper, John Diefenbaker and Andrew Scheer, to name a few. Then there is all the internal back-stabbing, the tolerance of racism and the willingness to abandon principles for power. The only two principled federal Conservative leaders in memory were Joe Clark and Robert Stanfield, and both were done in by their own parties. When was the last meaningful initiative done by federal Conservative prime ministers? Not all Conservatives are self-serving idealogues- I am not a big fan of Pallister but he has handled the current Coronavirus crisis very well, as has Ford in Ontario.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

So your point is that it ok to break the promise you made to get elected so long as it is popular? Sounds like a typical Conservative ploy.  My views of the Conservatives in Canada are based in the realities of Brian Mulroney, Gary Filmon, Peter McKay, Grant Devine, Steven Harper, John Diefenbaker and Andrew Scheer, to name a few. Then there is all the internal back-stabbing, the tolerance of racism and the willingness to abandon principles for power. The only two principled federal Conservative leaders in memory were Joe Clark and Robert Stanfield, and both were done in by their own parties. When was the last meaningful initiative done by federal Conservative prime ministers? Not all Conservatives are self-serving idealogues- I am not a big fan of Pallister but he has handled the current Coronavirus crisis very well, as has Ford in Ontario.

I'd add Kim Campbell to your principled list, although she didn't have time as a leader to prove how reasonable she actually was.

Edited by Wideleft

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

Don't even bring up the spectre of breaking promises and compromised morality if you are a Liberal supporter. Trudeau is the most corrupt, and biggest promise breaker since his father left office. Good gravy man....the guy is a farce. Just a puppet on a string of maybe the most vile character in political history. Gerald Butts.

In case you have forgotten, the CPC had the most votes last election under an extremely underwhelming leader. Mackay will be far more appealing to the moderates. You are spouting opinion on the CPC, but the fact is that they are a hair away from taking power.

Edited by GCn20

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Not if he keeps saying stupid things like he has done recently. 

No the problem for the conservatives is that they have been fully taken over by the extreme right, and that won't win elections. Look how hard Harper had to work to keep that in check.

The problem with the left is that they have been taken over y extremists as well.  I readily admit there are deep seeded problems with right wing politics right now, but it is equally as bad on the left.

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The problem with the left is that they have been taken over y extremists as well.  I readily admit there are deep seeded problems with right wing politics right now, but it is equally as bad on the left.

Which is why I don't vote NDP. The Liberals can hardly be classified as left. They are the epitome of centrists. Bend over for big business but throw some social progress as well.