Canadian Politics

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't disagree with that Ed.  No one is saying racism doesn't exist in Canada but to compare how it is in Canada compared to the States it's no where near the same. 

What does matter? Racism is racism.

And Canada has more than its fair share of racist history. Just because it's "different" doesn't mean we're somehow better off up here. 

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And Canada has more than its fair share of racist history. Just because it's "different" doesn't mean we're somehow better off up here. 

Disagree. I have people of colour in my extended family, one of whom lived in the US for several months, and it is a far uglier world down there. He has no hesitation in saying that it is better in Canada (he obviously hasn't lived in Alberta) although it isn't perfect here.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I don't agree.    That's like me saying poverty is poverty.... and then compare the poverty in Canada where someone has to live in a smaller house and can only afford a 40" tv.... then comparing it to poverty in Africa where people can't even eat or live under a roof.   

As for racism....... are you suggesting that a place like Winnipeg isn't accepting of other cultures and it is the same as deep south United States?  I recommend going to Folkorama (next year) and you'll see a wide variety of people and I have not personally seen anyone protest or attend a show in a KKK outfit.   Canada is often looked upon as one of the best examples in the world for being accepting of other cultures.  

I'm a firm believer that white people are the last group of humans allowed to the "how bad is our racism" discussion table.  

That being said, I'm totally onboard with whites being allies to the marginalized and discriminated, because those people get it. 

If I hear another white person (man) say "our racism isn't that bad".....

Really!  We're not that bad because the Klan doesn't show up to Folklorama?

3 hours ago, Wideleft said:

I'm a firm believer that white people are the last group of humans allowed to the "how bad is our racism" discussion table.  

That being said, I'm totally onboard with whites being allies to the marginalized and discriminated, because those people get it. 

You really just don't understand it's sad. Also who said I'm white?

Also the Folklorama example is a great example showing how awesome at least Winnipeg is where we bring multiple cultures together and celebrate them all.   Why would you ever **** on that? 

Edited by Brandon

13 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

True enough, Canadians pretend they care and yet if they held a rally to support Native rights and their historical mistreatment in Canada it would draw a small fraction of the support BLM  drew in our major cities the last few days.  Canada has become a strange place in the last few decades, we would rather borrow a narrative rather than create our own.....I honestly don't get it, but I guess that's what happens when you live next to the "Sun", it ******* blinds you.

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't agree.    That's like me saying poverty is poverty.... and then compare the poverty in Canada where someone has to live in a smaller house and can only afford a 40" tv.... then comparing it to poverty in Africa where people can't even eat or live under a roof.   

As for racism....... are you suggesting that a place like Winnipeg isn't accepting of other cultures and it is the same as deep south United States?  I recommend going to Folkorama (next year) and you'll see a wide variety of people and I have not personally seen anyone protest or attend a show in a KKK outfit.   Canada is often looked upon as one of the best examples in the world for being accepting of other cultures.  

Do you have an actual citation for such an audacious claim? I doubt it. Just because we welcome or accept other cultures here does not mean there isn't racism, bigotry, or intolerance. Or was that bolded statement just an opinion based on nothing more than some misguided notion of Canadian superiority?

And no, I'm not saying Canada has the same racism problem as the US does. It isn't meant to be an apples to apples comparison, anyway. Canada has its own unique racism problem, particularly with regard to its mistreatment of indigenous populations. And that's easily the most prominent example. But just because it's different than what's currently taking place in another country or isn't featured prominently in the news or on social media at present doesn't necessarily make it better up here. That's simply being tone deaf to the uglier side of Canada's history, or wilfully ignorant of it.

It's weird how you agreed with a poster in another thread that "racism is racism" but now you've changed your tune. And it is baffling how you'd claim a person in a small house with a 40" TV is somehow living in poverty and then bring up a person who can't afford food or shelter as though they're similar. One is actual poverty; the other is not.

Racism is racism. And here's why: it's an ongoing societal problem across the world that significantly negatively affects people each and every day. And Canada is no exception.

Also, telling someone to "go to Folkorama" doesn't accomplish anything; it's not a great example. Sure, Winnipeg puts on a great multicultural event in the summer every year, showcasing art, music, dance, cuisine, etc. of many cultures from around the world. What does that have to do with ongoing racial issues, systemic or otherwise, either here in Winnipeg or elsewhere in this country?

For anyone who doesn't think racism is in Canada, and it isn't contained only to indigenous people, here is an article that may hit closer to home.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-khari-jones-death-threats-winnipeg-1.5595506

Khari Jones doesn't have to look far for a reminder that racism exists in Canada.

The Montreal Alouettes head coach divulged during a teleconference Tuesday he received death threats while he was the quarterback of the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers because of his interracial marriage. Jones is black and his wife, Justine, is white.

An emotional Jones — speaking just over a week after a white policeman kneeled on the neck of a black man, resulting in a tragic death in Minneapolis — said the threats came in the form of letters that remain in his possession.

I don't know what kind of person you have to be that you would go out of your way to send death threats to two people, who you likely don't even know and really have no impact of effect on your life, but just because the colour of their skin differ.....

I also have black friends here in the city who have been racially profiled by the police.  Will not go into all of the details, but he was in a financial position to fight it, and force the issue to go to court, and after being overtly followed by police while this whole thing was happening (which he assumed was supposed to be some form of intimidation), constant delays in the system and being told by prosecutors and even his own lawyer to just give it up it isn't worth it, paying tens of thousands of dollars in legals fees, and while he ultimately won the court case, the cop ended up retiring  before the court date and in the end, there was no real impact to the cop.  But he fought it and paid the money to prove a point ... and won.  

There is no doubt that we hear lots of stories of black football players that come up to Winnipeg, and do love it here, embrace it, and find how they are treated here better then back home, and that is great, we all love hearing those stories.  But that is not an excuse to say we are all good here, that racism doesn't exist, or it isn't as bad.   It is a very ugly fact that if history is a predictor of the future, racism will always exist, and everyone needs to do their part so it doesn't grow and flare up into something even uglier.  

Im a white guy and a similar thing happened to me with the police here.  I can only imagine how much worse it must of have been for a person of colour.   The justice system has their little tricks.  Lying in police reports, "losing" evidence.  And if you push the issue as I did, the Crown actually negotiated on behalf of the cops that I drop my LERA complaint or they'd try to proceed against me.  And my lawyer also told me not to push it, saying "do you want every cop in town to know your name, photo, address, license plate, place of work?  Because they will." 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

17 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Yup I can't walk in your shoes but I can be right beside you. We're in this together.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im a white guy and a similar thing happened to me with the police here.  I can only imagine how much worse it must of have been for a person of colour.   The justice system has their little tricks.  Lying in police reports, "losing" evidence.  And if you push the issue as I did, the Crown actually negotiated on behalf of the cops that I drop my LERA complaint or they'd try to proceed against me.  And my lawyer also told me not to push it, saying "do you want every cop in town to know your name, photo, address, license plate, place of work?  Because they will." 

Too many cops have this "us versus them" mentality. As one cop in the US put it," This gun isn't to protect you. Its to protect me from you."

16 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Too many cops have this "us versus them" mentality. As one cop in the US put it," This gun isn't to protect you. Its to protect me from you."

Yeah and to be clear there are some really great cops.  Ive known a lot of police over the years, had many great interactions from my many years of bar security.  But the blue wall is very real and the sense of loyalty to one other so great that it seems to go right up the chain.  Where the public would normally expect leaders to want to weed out bad cops, they are loyal to them.

Former Conservative cabinet minister Stockwell Day has stepped down from his role as a commentator on CBC News Network's Power & Politics — and has left senior positions at two major companies — after making comments on Tuesday's show about racism in Canada he later admitted were "insensitive and hurtful".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stockwell-day-systemic-racism-canada-1.5597550

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Former Conservative cabinet minister Stockwell Day has stepped down from his role as a commentator on CBC News Network's Power & Politics — and has left senior positions at two major companies — after making comments on Tuesday's show about racism in Canada he later admitted were "insensitive and hurtful".

He may not have a functioning brain, but at least he has some self-awareness.

16 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

I like Stock. Sorry to see him go. Feel bad. Not racism though as he describes it.